Pixel 2 users to S9+, how was the move?

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Currently using a Pixel 2 but have a S9+ on pre-order.

For those who have done this change, what are your thoughts on it? Particularly interested in hearing about the software user-experience (in regards to things like performance and stability, etc.) and the camera experience.

I think I know enough from watching comparison videos, but want to also get more user-community feedback.

Appreciate it!

MooMooPrincess

Sep 25, 2017
Visit site
Performance wise 2/2xl is still better. Sammy experience is just too heavy still. Camera is a toss up, full screen mode is a god send. Battery life is better on a 2xl, s9+ is better than the 2's blife. I do get lag on my s9+ it's just something I'm used to at this point. Customization is better on the 2due to root.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I'm using both the s9+ and pixel 2 xl
both are about same for performance wise doing day to day task, I haven't had any hiccups yet on the s9+ . battery life are about same but what the pixel doesn't have is the extra modes for saving battery and Samsung let's you adjust the screen settings better to save more ...the speaker is alot better on the s9+ ...now the camera in daylight I like the pixel for everything else including video which most dont talk about Samsung does better , the selfie probably goes to the pixel but s9 has more settings to tinker with . out of the box the s9+ has more settings to play with and has probably the best theme store to pick from but pixel is right there almost every category..

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
As someone who currently has a Pixel 2 XL and previously had an S9+, I'd stick with the Pixel 2 XL if security is your priority. Functionally, both devices work about the same. They both are blazing fast, both have great cameras, and both can do anything you throw at them. If hardware is something you value, get the S9+. If you value software updates, keep the Pixel 2.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
We have both phones. I started out with the Pixel 2 XL. Coming from years of Galaxy S series, I missed Samsung's extras. I just couldn't make my mind up with the camera. The Pixel camera has more noise and I didn't care for the video as much as Samsung. Many more camera/video options/features to choose from on the S9+. In every photo comparison I took of the two, there were reasons to like the Pixel more and reasons to like the S9+ more and I find that true in most YT videos comparing the two phones. I finally decided on the S9+ since the cameras were (almost) a wash and I missed the "Samsung Experience" and then there's the Samsung's display...it just doesn't get any better. They are both crazy fast! Pixel doesn't come in purple! :)

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I worry that the S9+ camera in daylight doesn't stand up to par with the Pixel 2 in daylight. Is this very true?

From what I've gathered, it looks like s9+ shots in day time just don't get the contrast quite right. What happened to that saturated "pop" that Samsung devices are known for? Seems like the Pixel 2 is doing it better.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I think it's kind of funny that we've gotten to this point that we can argue the minutiae of contrast on smartphone cameras. When I look at pictures in Google Photos of my daughter from 4-5 years ago, it's crazy to see just how far we've come. I'd bet for most people they won't notice a difference between the two.

I think the only legit argument(s) to be made between these two phones is/are whether you want quick updates or not and if you prefer stock to Sammy's skin. I love updates, however, I also like what Samsung throws at you. At this point, if I'm picking between the two, I'm going with Sammy. And that may change when the Pixel 3 comes out.

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I think it's kind of funny that we've gotten to this point that we can argue the minutiae of contrast on smartphone cameras. When I look at pictures in Google Photos of my daughter from 4-5 years ago, it's crazy to see just how far we've come. I'd bet for most people they won't notice a difference between the two.

I think the only legit argument(s) to be made between these two phones is/are whether you want quick updates or not and if you prefer stock to Sammy's skin. I love updates, however, I also like what Samsung throws at you. At this point, if I'm picking between the two, I'm going with Sammy. And that may change when the Pixel 3 comes out.

I wonder if I should hold out for the Pixel 3 myself, but then again, there might still be concessions (like no headphone jack...). And as you mention, I do like some of the features that Samsung phones come with.

As for the camera, I suppose I'm spoiled by the Pixel 2. It seems like the S9+ camera trumps it when it comes to detail, zoom, and night shots, but daytime shots seem stronger on the Pixel 2. I'm surprised Samsung is going for such a flat, almost washed-out look. I thought their photos were known more for saturation.

Last edited:

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
The more I research, the more concerned I am with the S9+ camera. What is up with the dynamic range, colors and contrast of the S9+? It seems to struggle strangely in daylight:

https://www.techspot.com/article/1606-galaxy-s9-vs-pixel-2-xl-camera/

This is just one of many reviews/comparisons that show this sort of weird over-exposure of the S9+ where highlights get kind of blown out.

Am I wrong to be concerned?

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't think you're wrong to be concerned. I had the same concerns. I couldn't stand the noise/grain in the Pixel photos tho. I do think the Pixel is a better camera but you can probably get the same results using Pro mode on the Samsung. If you're not into that and just want to p&s (you don't have any extra options on the Pixel) you might want to go with the Google phone. For me it just finally came down to the noise in low light, missing the Pro camera features and other Samsung goodies I've come to appreciate on my smartphones. I'm happy with my S9+ but I'm glad DH has the Pixel 2 XL ;)

scgf

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I worry that the S9+ camera in daylight doesn't stand up to par with the Pixel 2 in daylight. Is this very true?

I've had a Pixel 2 since launch and the camera is really nice BUT a lot of the time the results are just too dark. Now the good weather is here I'm even more disappointed. A beautiful sunlit landscape ends up looking dark and gloomy. I can see why it's happening - the Pixel HDR+ is trying to keep detail in the highlights so they don't get blown out. When I take a photo of a landscape I'd much rather have the sky slightly blown out if it means the rest of the scene - the part I'm interested in - is correctly exposed. The S9 exposes much better what I'm actually interested in seeing. I like a brighter, lighter picture. I know I could post-process my Pixel photos, but I really don't want to be doing that. Since I bought my S9 I'm much happier with the lovely luminous photos it gives me. I don't pixel-peep so am not too concerned if the Pixel gives me more micro-detail. That soon wears off.