Disappointed with charging time of my new Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus! HELP

valveHHH

May 7, 2018
Visit site
Hi Samsung folks!

I just recently got this phone brand new from a local telco and I noticed that the full charging time take really REALLY long. Im talking about like at least 2 - 3 hours to fully charged using the bundled "fast charging" charger.

FYI that when I first got this, I immediately "restored" all my Google Apps/ Contacts (all Google stuff) WhatsApp conversation through online. Did not use amy Smart Switch or anything (it did not work) but nevertheless it was seamless which was great.

I did some simple isolation and I noticed that when I use the adapter of my old Note 5 (white fast charger) plus still using the black cable of this S9 +, it is much noticeably faster. I ran some timer and it was OK not ridiculous like 2 hours ++!

I went to Samsung store and explained the situation so they glady gave me a brand new S9+ charger, it seems to be acting the same!! Though, I notice that it charge much faster if I turn off the phone which I can do but still sucks since I will be missing some emails or messages!

So, what do you think folks? Should I return this phone back to Samsung and get a replacement? It is just a hassle to back up everything and delete everything after I fully set this up!

Why is it much faster if I use an old Note 5 charger?? My old Note 5 easily can complete a full charge eventhough there are tons of apps running on the background!

soooo dissapointed. Good thing, battery life stays much longer than my old Note 5..

Thank you!

Last edited:

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Don't you have a computer/tablet you also get your emails on?

Can you not get through the day and charge your phone overnight? What about putting it on a charger throughout the day just to top it off? Invest in a fast car charger and keep it topped off.

valveHHH

May 7, 2018
Visit site
Don't you have a computer/tablet you also get your emails on?

Can you not get through the day and charge your phone overnight? What about putting it on a charger throughout the day just to top it off? Invest in a fast car charger and keep it topped off.

Err... of course I do have my iMac but I use my S9 for mobility as well for office mails and RSA token for security stuff.

My main gripe is that it does NOT do what it was adertise that it can charge for 1.5 hours! Not unless I use my old Note 5 charge which is ridiculous.

Jadaress1

Apr 23, 2016
Visit site
That's true and it's weird it's doing it with the replacement phone too, i dunno if that time is normal for the s9+ as I have the S9 and have turned fast charging off in settings as I charge overnight anyway on a wireless charger. But doesn't sound right.

irock1985

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
The phone cannot charge at full speed while you are actually using the phone.... Depending on what you're actually doing while using the phone will vary the charge times greatly. The advertised time to charge is based on screen off not using the phone

valveHHH

May 7, 2018
Visit site
That's true and it's weird it's doing it with the replacement phone too, i dunno if that time is normal for the s9+ as I have the S9 and have turned fast charging off in settings as I charge overnight anyway on a wireless charger. But doesn't sound right.

Samsung support only replaced the charger not the whole phone.

How long in a real setting does it really take to fully charge a S9 +?

valveHHH

May 7, 2018
Visit site
The phone cannot charge at full speed while you are actually using the phone.... Depending on what you're actually doing while using the phone will vary the charge times greatly. The advertised time to charge is based on screen off not using the phone

I actually turned OFF all the running background task from the Battery Optimization but seems same issue.

Driving me nuts... I spent a number of hours setting up this phone and unsure if it defective or not

valveHHH

May 7, 2018
Visit site
Mine charges in 1hr.40 to 1hr.50 mins...From around 10%...Does your phone display fast charging...?

Yes it does display Fast Charging. So now, I've turned off the screensaver (colors) when charging and it seems to have improved. Still monitoring though.

Do you have screensaver enabled when charging?