Health - disabled
Android Pay
Keyboard - Switfkey
Music - Samsung Music and Deezer/Spotify
Gallery - Samsung Gallery, Google Photos and Onedrive for PC pic syncing

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
For music I must've left that off - I use Pandora and play straight from there. I do want to download some favorite songs though, likely to use the stock music player when I do that

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Gotta say I'm surprised the amount that uses Samsung Messages. It's too plain for me and not enough customization. I use textra for the individual contact notifications and LED.

It used to be better but they keep whittling away at the customization. On the S9, they just got rid of custom wallpapers, which is totally lame. I tried Textra and hated it. I found Handcent and that one is decent but a little heavy handed. Now I've been using YAATA and find it to be the best for me.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
It used to be better but they keep whittling away at the customization. On the S9, they just got rid of custom wallpapers, which is totally lame. I tried Textra and hated it. I found Handcent and that one is decent but a little heavy handed. Now I've been using YAATA and find it to be the best for me.
I started moving to it when I found that Samsung Enhanced Messages worked in my country. Basically it works exactly like iMessage, but Samsung. And my entire family is currently on Samsung except for the little sister on iPhone.

r511

Mar 31, 2018
Visit site
Samsung Messages -or- Android Messages
Neither. I use Textra.

Samsung Internet -or- Google Chrome
Neither. I use Via.

Samsung Calendar -or- Google Calendar
Google

Samsung Calculator -or- Google Calculator
Samsung

Samsung Email -or- Gmail/Inbox
Gmail

Samsung Clock -or- Google Clock
Neither. I use Chronus

Samsung Notes/Reminder -or- Google Keep
Google Keep

Samsung Touchwiz -or- Google Now Launcher
Neither. I use Action Launcher.

Samsung Health -or- Google Fit
Neither. No interest in either of these.

Samsung Pay -or- Android Pay
Neither.

Samsung Keyboard -or- Gboard
Neither. I use SwiftKey.

Samsung Music -or- Google Music
Neither. I use Spotify.

Samsung Gallery -or- Google Photos
Both.

anon(8453378)

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
Android Messages
Google Chrome
Samsung Calendar
Google Calculator
Gmail
Samsung Clock
Google Keep
Samsung Touchwiz Launcher
Samsung Health
Samsung Pay
Neither - use swiftkey
Google Music
Use both Samsung Gallery and Google Photos

Joe Meinhart

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
Samsung Messages
Google Chrome
Google Calendar
Google Calculator
Samsung Email -or- Gmail/Inbox bot: Sammie for work
Google Clock
Google Keep
Samsung Touchwiz -or- Google Now Launcher right now SamExp have used GNL in past
Samsung Health -or- Google Fit both
Samsung Pay -or- Android Pay neither
Samsung Keyboard -or- Gboard gboard
Samsung Music -or- Google Music neither
Samsung Gallery -or- Google Photos both

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
people using the Google calculator don't Kno what your missing from Samsung ... Samsung has in there default app unit conversions which I find very Handy

scottbeamer

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
people using the Google calculator don't Kno what your missing from Samsung ... Samsung has in there default app unit conversions which I find very Handy
The Google Calculator is pretty mediocre. It was the default on my LG V20. I used the most excellent "CALCU", instead.

Aug 13, 2018
Visit site
Just want to know what other people use.

Samsung Messages -or- Android Messages
Samsung Internet -or- Google Chrome
Samsung Calendar -or- Google Calendar
Samsung Calculator -or- Google Calculator
Samsung Email -or- Gmail/Inbox
Samsung Clock -or- Google Clock
Samsung Notes/Reminder -or- Google Keep
Samsung Touchwiz -or- Google Now Launcher
Samsung Health -or- Google Fit
Samsung Pay -or- Android Pay
Samsung Keyboard -or- Gboard
Samsung Music -or- Google Music
Samsung Gallery -or- Google Photos

I mainly use everything Google and I'll tell you why. Before I tell you I'll answer your question. All those apps you mentioned, all Google, except for Google pay because I do use Samsung Pay.

Now to mention why I use Google, is because I am able to use those apps anywhere. For example I create a note in Keep, I can go to any computer and just to go keep.google.com and I can view my notes there, edit them, and do much more. That's only Google Keep, I can do the same with anything, Google Photos, Calendar, etc. I can also use Android Messages on the computer as well, which I find useful.

In general, yes some Samsung apps do contain more features, but in my experience Google apps are a lot more polished, faster, and overall a lot better. For example Samsung Email is terrible, having to constantly be pressing "Load images" and "Load more", which makes an Email take longer than it should. Animations are slow, and Samsung keyboard is a whole different story. I can't use swipe while being able to move around the cursor. The swipe feature is frustrating, doesn't get it right, and voice recognition is better on Google keyboard than Samsung.

I don't use Pixel Launcher because it's limited, so I use Lean Launcher which basically is the exact same Pixel Launcher but way more customizable, I recommend you check it out. Try out Lean Launcher, and I also have Package Disabler Pro to disable all Samsung apps including all Bixby related, and others.

Basically to conclude, I find Google apps a lot more faster, polished, and most importantly, I can use any of my Google apps online, whether is a Windows operating system, macOS. iOS, Android, you know, everything. While Samsung apps, will only work on Samsung phones and certain tablets. Other than that you can't view any of them anywhere else.