S9+ or OnePlus 6

matt3166

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
So I bought a OnePlus 6 and it's a nice phone but still bouncing back and forth maybe getting a S9+ and returning the OnePlus.
Best Buy has the S9+ $300 off, it's a carrier branded one unfortunately but I can look past that for $300 off.
Would it be worth the switch?

zhelf

Zombie
Trusted Member
Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
for the $100 price difference at bestbuy right not i think the s9/+ is a far more complete phone.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
If you care about the camera, then S9+ is the best of the two.

If you care about software and updates,OnePlus 6 is the best of the two.

waqqas31

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site

Unless you like the Samsung Experience (like myself), then the OnePlus 6 might just have more frequent updates going in its favor.

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
I have both and it is a really hard call. Ultimately it ends up that the OP takes the crown for speed and software but the S9+ IMO beats it on every other count.

I probably should have gone for the 256gb as that negates the SD expansion of the S9 but overall despite the cost difference I’d still pick the S9+ Actually in the UK the LG G7 is not a million miles away price wise from the OnePlus so is a more interesting comparison.

Jason Cockerham

Community Review Team Leader
Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I have owned and used many Samsung phones including the S8 and I have owned and used every OP phone since the OP3. The software experience is hands down better on OnePlus. EVERY Samsung phone I have had has become unbearbaly slow after just a few months of use where as I have yet to experience a slow down on any OnePlus phone. Even out of the box, the OP phones runs circles around Samsung. Quite literally the only upgrade from the OnePlus 6 to the S9 would be the camera. Everything else is better or comparable on the OnePuls 6.

I don't use the camera a whole lot so for me the software and user experience is a make-or-break feature for me and Samsung's is still just terrible. OnePlus is also pretty solid about updates.

The main question for you is what do you mostly use your phone for? If you are a more casual user then absolutely the OP 6 is the phone for you. If you really need the best camera you can buy, or if you watch a whole lot of videos on your phone and must have the incredible display of the S9, or if you still need expandalbe storarge, then those are really the only reasons I can see for getting an S9. That being said, the S9 is a solid phone (minus the software experience) and you couldn't go wrong either way. I would still recommend the OnePlus 6.

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
I have owned and used many Samsung phones including the S8 and I have owned and used every OP phone since the OP3. The software experience is hands down better on OnePlus. EVERY Samsung phone I have had has become unbearbaly slow after just a few months of use where as I have yet to experience a slow down on any OnePlus phone. Even out of the box, the OP phones runs circles around Samsung. Quite literally the only upgrade from the OnePlus 6 to the S9 would be the camera. Everything else is better or comparable on the OnePuls 6.

I don't use the camera a whole lot so for me the software and user experience is a make-or-break feature for me and Samsung's is still just terrible. OnePlus is also pretty solid about updates.

The main question for you is what do you mostly use your phone for? If you are a more casual user then absolutely the OP 6 is the phone for you. If you really need the best camera you can buy, or if you watch a whole lot of videos on your phone and must have the incredible display of the S9, or if you still need expandalbe storarge, then those are really the only reasons I can see for getting an S9. That being said, the S9 is a solid phone (minus the software experience) and you couldn't go wrong either way. I would still recommend the OnePlus 6.

EXACTLY THIS. I have both and this is spot on.

maher shtat

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site
No doubt S9+ is better in all aspects mostly ! design, camera, screen.
What s9+ lacks and other curved Samsung screens is durability Samsung should work more on enhancing glass as this is more crucial

Last edited:

IlkkaV

May 9, 2014
Visit site

Having owned a OnePlus 3T and 5 and currently using an S8+, I must say that the software issue is a bit more complicated than that. Sure, the OnePlus gets major releases faster, but their security patch delivery could use some improvement. When I had a OnePlus, security patch level increased every two or three months despite the actual OxygenOS getting updates faster than that. The S8+, on the other hand, has been mostly on a monthly schedule with a month skipped maybe twice a year. At least I feel more confident using the Samsung software despite the major Android versions taking their time to arrive. They at least seem to care about security a bit, unlike OnePlus who skips integrating the actual Android security patches but does find time to add their own horribly broken security "features" that don't keep even a pre-schooler away from your data.

Last edited:

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Including battery?

Yeah, the OP battery is nothing to write home about even with AOD on the S9+ (not available on OP) they are pretty similar.

I guess secretly squirrelling away your personal information takes some battery :)

TerryFalcon

Jun 2, 2018
Visit site
So I bought a OnePlus 6 and it's a nice phone but still bouncing back and forth maybe getting a S9+ and returning the OnePlus.
Best Buy has the S9+ $300 off, it's a carrier branded one unfortunately but I can look past that for $300 off.
Would it be worth the switch?

OnePlus 6 is even one of the great pick but I'm a samsung fan so I would definitely go with Galaxy s9+

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance