06-11-2018 03:17 PM
30 12
tools
    For me personally I was more concerned about general bug fixes. This phone has been out for a long time with no sign of any updates, security or otherwise. Security updates are usually more frequent than bug fix updates so it's been perplexing why it has taken so long for either. I came from a ZTE phone which got 0 security updates. lol Wasn't too worried as long as bugs were being addressed.
    06-05-2018 03:24 PM
    Sprint just pushed out a software update. I updated last night.

https://www.samsungcentral.com/2018/...ecurity-patch/
    06-06-2018 12:56 PM
    It's pretty horrible that my husband's AT&T S7 just got oreo, and has a newer security patch level than my few months old AT&T S9.

Say what you want about whether or not we *need* security patches -- you can say that right up til the next stagefright-level "hack" hits the news, except that unlike stagefright, where you could effectively disable MMS and largely avoid the problem, what happens when there's nothing you can do to protect yourself while you wait for some stupid OEM and carrier to get off their butts and push a security patch? Ugh. This whole system is stupid. And before someone cries "pixel"...

I'm not sure which is worse:

1) Having a phone that's reliable and stable but 3-4 months behind on security patches (Samsung) or...
    2) Having a phone that's secure (relatively), but buggy as heck at times (Pixel).

It's a no-win. And I'm really not sure Apple is any better, because then there are yet other trade-offs. And finally, add to the whole situation that most people just don't care about updates. Of course, most people don't care about device/computer/tech security right up til the moment it bites 'em in the butt. I prefer to be prepared as much as possible.
    06-11-2018 11:05 AM
    And finally, add to the whole situation that most people just don't care about updates. Of course, most people don't care about device/computer/tech security right up til the moment it bites 'em in the butt. I prefer to be prepared as much as possible.
    Yep. And this is why we can't have nice things.

I recently switched back to Android from iOS when my iPhone 8 Plus wouldn't play nicely with my new running watch (Garmin Forerunner 645). My GS9+ is speedy, takes great photos and has a battery that seems to last forever. But it's stuck on the February security patch, thanks to Samsung and/or T-Mobile. And it seems that the general public couldn't care less, so there's no pressure on Samsung and/or T-Mobile to deliver.
    06-11-2018 01:41 PM
    Yep. And this is why we can't have nice things.

I recently switched back to Android from iOS when my iPhone 8 Plus wouldn't play nicely with my new running watch (Garmin Forerunner 645). My GS9+ is speedy, takes great photos and has a battery that seems to last forever. But it's stuck on the February security patch, thanks to Samsung and/or T-Mobile. And it seems that the general public couldn't care less, so there's no pressure on Samsung and/or T-Mobile to deliver.
    Yep. This is why I am a iPhone / Pixel person now a days.
    06-11-2018 03:17 PM
30 12