Only one update?

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
I have the US Unlocked S9+, now I totally understand that yes the unlocked version are especially slow with updates than the norm. However, I do see that the unlocked international version receives updates fairly decently.

I have not received an update since March 14th, mind you I'm in Germany on Vodafone for the time being and when I got my device I was the states so my update was received there.

Has there seriously not been an update since March? And when if the next one expected? I do understand there is a update coming around with a May 1 security update but is it coming for the US Unlocked variant?

Also, is there a way to force an update onto this device?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
International version is Exynos. US Unlocked is Qualcomm (and they prioritize carrier updates). And as another Ambassador stated, Samsung's goal for updates is once per quarter. Sorry.

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
I have the US Unlocked S9+, now I totally understand that yes the unlocked version are especially slow with updates than the norm. However, I do see that the unlocked international version receives updates fairly decently.

I have not received an update since March 14th, mind you I'm in Germany on Vodafone for the time being and when I got my device I was the states so my update was received there.

Has there seriously not been an update since March? And when if the next one expected? I do understand there is a update coming around with a May 1 security update but is it coming for the US Unlocked variant?

Also, is there a way to force an update onto this device?

Even with the us Snapdragon model we've only had one update. The next one better be a good one lol.

Nodnerb

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Not sure what the problem is. I'm pretty frustrated with this too. I have the snapdragon s9 with Rogers in Canada. They just started listing the huawei P series of phones, just released and they are scheduled to get the may security updates in a few days while the S9 and S9+ sit at the bottom if the list saying "coming soon" with MARCH security update.

I wish they'd at least be transparent about why there haven't been updates. Obviously there is some sort of problem. Even the S8 is updated further than the S9.

waqqas31

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
Not sure what the problem is. I'm pretty frustrated with this too. I have the snapdragon s9 with Rogers in Canada. They just started listing the huawei P series of phones, just released and they are scheduled to get the may security updates in a few days while the S9 and S9+ sit at the bottom if the list saying "coming soon" with MARCH security update.

I wish they'd at least be transparent about why there haven't been updates. Obviously there is some sort of problem. Even the S8 is updated further than the S9.

Today's news (an update is on the way):

https://mobilesyrup.com/2018/05/31/samsung-galaxy-s7-a5-oreo-june-11-canada/

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

Not a problem, just not a priority. Samsung has tons of models to update (and a ton more in development). Devoting resources to updates is also costly, and it's a lot more manageable for smaller companies with less devices and less feature-rich (aka tinkered-with Android) devices.

Nodnerb

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
waqqas31 an update to oreo for the S7 line doesn't help my S9 much.

SpookDroid It just seems backwards. The S6 even has a more recent security update. Most of the time the newest latest and greatest get the first updates, and by all rights should.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Not a problem, just not a priority. Samsung has tons of models to update (and a ton more in development). Devoting resources to updates is also costly, and it's a lot more manageable for smaller companies with less devices and less feature-rich (aka tinkered-with Android) devices.

I think if they devote to more devices, then they should devote to those updates ...it comes with the package ...that's my take

Last edited:

waqqas31

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
waqqas31 an update to oreo for the S7 line doesn't help my S9 much.

SpookDroid It just seems backwards. The S6 even has a more recent security update. Most of the time the newest latest and greatest get the first updates, and by all rights should.

Read the whole article.

joeyjay

Mar 7, 2016
Visit site
My wife's Note 8 got two security updates in the last two weeks. She is now on May security patch. I'm still on March with my S9+. Hmmmm

Ac42

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Arrrghhhh!!! I'm about ready to dump my S9. It's absolutely asinine to not patch security vulnerabilities on phones in today's digital world. I would highly recommend anyone considering a Samsung galaxy s or note to look for something else.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1