06-11-2018 03:17 PM
30 12
tools
    I have the US Unlocked S9+, now I totally understand that yes the unlocked version are especially slow with updates than the norm. However, I do see that the unlocked international version receives updates fairly decently.

I have not received an update since March 14th, mind you I'm in Germany on Vodafone for the time being and when I got my device I was the states so my update was received there.

Has there seriously not been an update since March? And when if the next one expected? I do understand there is a update coming around with a May 1 security update but is it coming for the US Unlocked variant?

Also, is there a way to force an update onto this device?
    05-30-2018 04:04 PM
    International version is Exynos. US Unlocked is Qualcomm (and they prioritize carrier updates). And as another Ambassador stated, Samsung's goal for updates is once per quarter. Sorry.
    tube517 likes this.
    05-30-2018 04:13 PM
    I kept wondering about this.

That's good to know. @SpookDriod.
    05-30-2018 06:31 PM
    I have the US Unlocked S9+, now I totally understand that yes the unlocked version are especially slow with updates than the norm. However, I do see that the unlocked international version receives updates fairly decently.

I have not received an update since March 14th, mind you I'm in Germany on Vodafone for the time being and when I got my device I was the states so my update was received there.

Has there seriously not been an update since March? And when if the next one expected? I do understand there is a update coming around with a May 1 security update but is it coming for the US Unlocked variant?

Also, is there a way to force an update onto this device?
    Even with the us Snapdragon model we've only had one update. The next one better be a good one lol.
    05-30-2018 08:15 PM
    I have an unlocked Snapdragon model (SM-G9650) and I received my second update since purchasing the phone in mid-March. First update was on March 28 and second was on May 28. I can probably expect the next one on July 28!

http://doc.samsungmobile.com/SM-G9650/TGY/doc.html
    05-31-2018 03:31 AM
    i have had 3 updates since i got my uk unlocked s9+ in march
    05-31-2018 03:36 AM
    Not sure what the problem is. I'm pretty frustrated with this too. I have the snapdragon s9 with Rogers in Canada. They just started listing the huawei P series of phones, just released and they are scheduled to get the may security updates in a few days while the S9 and S9+ sit at the bottom if the list saying "coming soon" with MARCH security update.

I wish they'd at least be transparent about why there haven't been updates. Obviously there is some sort of problem. Even the S8 is updated further than the S9.
    05-31-2018 07:29 AM
    Not sure what the problem is. I'm pretty frustrated with this too. I have the snapdragon s9 with Rogers in Canada. They just started listing the huawei P series of phones, just released and they are scheduled to get the may security updates in a few days while the S9 and S9+ sit at the bottom if the list saying "coming soon" with MARCH security update.

I wish they'd at least be transparent about why there haven't been updates. Obviously there is some sort of problem. Even the S8 is updated further than the S9.
    Today's news (an update is on the way):

https://mobilesyrup.com/2018/05/31/s...une-11-canada/
    05-31-2018 10:39 AM

Not a problem, just not a priority. Samsung has tons of models to update (and a ton more in development). Devoting resources to updates is also costly, and it's a lot more manageable for smaller companies with less devices and less feature-rich (aka tinkered-with Android) devices.
    05-31-2018 11:28 AM
    waqqas31 an update to oreo for the S7 line doesn't help my S9 much.

SpookDroid It just seems backwards. The S6 even has a more recent security update. Most of the time the newest latest and greatest get the first updates, and by all rights should.
    05-31-2018 11:37 AM
    Not a problem, just not a priority. Samsung has tons of models to update (and a ton more in development). Devoting resources to updates is also costly, and it's a lot more manageable for smaller companies with less devices and less feature-rich (aka tinkered-with Android) devices.
    I think if they devote to more devices, then they should devote to those updates ...it comes with the package ...that's my take
    05-31-2018 11:47 AM
    waqqas31 an update to oreo for the S7 line doesn't help my S9 much.

SpookDroid It just seems backwards. The S6 even has a more recent security update. Most of the time the newest latest and greatest get the first updates, and by all rights should.
    Read the whole article.
    05-31-2018 01:03 PM
    My wife's Note 8 got two security updates in the last two weeks. She is now on May security patch. I'm still on March with my S9+. Hmmmm
    06-01-2018 04:24 PM
    My S9 on AT&T is still on Feb security patch... LOL
    06-01-2018 04:39 PM
    My S9 on AT&T is still on Feb security patch... LOL
    Yup same here, ridiculous
    06-01-2018 10:51 PM
    Yeah, I have a S9+ and Sprint is my carrier. I'm still on the February security patch as well.
    06-02-2018 12:21 AM
    Arrrghhhh!!! I'm about ready to dump my S9. It's absolutely asinine to not patch security vulnerabilities on phones in today's digital world. I would highly recommend anyone considering a Samsung galaxy s or note to look for something else.
    06-03-2018 07:26 PM
    S9/S9+ update (for Canada, at least) is slated for tomorrow, according to Samsung Members thread.

https://community.samsungmembers.com...?postId=302471
    06-03-2018 08:50 PM
    Just got it. ARE6, about 350MB, May Security updates.
    06-04-2018 12:28 AM
    Downloading now. Mine’s 858MB.
    06-04-2018 06:21 AM
    Arrrghhhh!!! I'm about ready to dump my S9. It's absolutely asinine to not patch security vulnerabilities on phones in today's digital world. I would highly recommend anyone considering a Samsung galaxy s or note to look for something else.
    You really want to dump a phone for security patches that pretty much close hardly-ever used exploits? Mmmmkay. Just next time you might want to pick up a Pixel then, because that's pretty much the only Android phone that will get truly timely updates if that is so important to you.
    06-04-2018 03:40 PM
    You really want to dump a phone for security patches that pretty much close hardly-ever used exploits? Mmmmkay. Just next time you might want to pick up a Pixel then, because that's pretty much the only Android phone that will get truly timely updates if that is so important to you.
    It's absolute idiocy to think these exploits won't be targeted by malicious actors, if they aren't already without our knowledge. I figured the companies in the mobile environment understood this at this point. It may not seem like a big deal to you now, but I guarantee your tune will change when someone targets certain oem's devices or carrier"s devices because they were clearly sitting ducks with far outdated security patches. Why do you think Google is going to be forcing oem's to push out monthly updates if they're devices are going to be running Android? Just out of spite?
    06-04-2018 05:20 PM
    It's absolute idiocy to think these exploits won't be targeted by malicious actors, if they aren't already without our knowledge. I figured the companies in the mobile environment understood this at this point. It may not seem like a big deal to you now, but I guarantee your tune will change when someone targets certain oem's devices or carrier"s devices because they were clearly sitting ducks with far outdated security patches.
    If that's the case, then I wouldn't be getting a phone from a manufacturer I KNOW has a bad track record at updating their system. I knew what I was getting into, I knew that their intended target for updates were quarterly, and still these exploits are really really hard to be exploited (but that's a different topic). Again, if security updates are that important to you, then you want to look at phones that get it right away, and right now, that means either iPhones or Pixels. Not Samsung devices (never have been, probably never will be).
    06-04-2018 05:25 PM
    Acknowledged. Lesson learned.
    06-04-2018 05:26 PM
    I work in security division at my company and I laugh at people wanting security updates. You know how difficult it is to get stuff out of your phone? No? Try it. Think of ways to get into your brother's phone without ever touching it. Yea. Not so easy. So yea, anyone waiting for a may fix is assuming some genius figured out a new hack in March and trying to deploy that on Your phone by now. If they do, those hackers need to be hired.

The problem is not your phone but websites that you register with. Including big honchos like fb.
    waqqas31 and SpookDroid like this.
    06-05-2018 02:09 PM
30 12