Will video shot with an S9 play on an iPad Pro ?

Davyo

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Thinking about ditching my iPhone X for an S9 or Note 9,, I heard the S9 can be switched to shooting video in the H.265 (HEVC) format in the video camera settings, is this true ?

My iPad Pro and iMovie are compatible with the H.265 (HEVC) format and the X natively shoots in that format.

I would think by what I’ve wrote that video shot with an S9 should hypothetically play on my iPad and work with iMovie ?

Any feedback, input or user experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Cheers
Davyo

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
They would, except for special Slow Motion features (when you shoot a Slow Motion video on the S9, it gives you the speed control in the player...you'd lose that when just copying the file to an iPad or any other device).

Davyo

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
They would, except for special Slow Motion features (when you shoot a Slow Motion video on the S9, it gives you the speed control in the player...you'd lose that when just copying the file to an iPad or any other device).

Thanks for posting.
Have you played video shot with a S9 on an iPad ?

Cheers
Davyo

Davyo

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Yup. Getting to the iPad, however, is the problem. Not as easy as "sure, just beam it over!"

Thanks again for your response.

I use an app called “Transfer” that works great for pictures between iOS, Android and PC when the app lives on all the devices of course.
For video I use the app to send video shot on my X to my iPad Pro as it’s much faster and easier than using iTunes (I’m not a fan of using iTunes for anything)

In the past I could never get video shot on my Notes or Galaxy’s to play on my iPads because of the different recording formats but now hearing that the S9 can be set to record in the H.265 (HEVC) format I would hope and think that S9 video would play on my iPad Pro and also work with iMovie.

I’ve looked at S9 manuals online but can’t find the settings for changing the S9 to shoot in H.265 (HEVC) and I have no idea what format the S9 shoots in natively ?

When I’ve gone to stores and looked at the S9 I can’t get into the advanced camera settings because all the stores have their display phones locked into the store display mode.

Is the ability to change your S9 to the H.265 (HEVC) format buried in your advanced camera settings ?

Thank you for dealing with my questions.
Cheers
Davyo

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
That's odd, I've recorded video on pretty much all Notes and S devices and played in iDevices just fine... If anything HEVC is way less compatible than what they used for video on most Androids... As for the setting, nope, it's right there with the video size.

Davyo

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
That's odd, I've recorded video on pretty much all Notes and S devices and played in iDevices just fine... If anything HEVC is way less compatible than what they used for video on most Androids... As for the setting, nope, it's right there with the video size.

Coolness,,, thank you very much for your help.
Now I just have to decide on the S9 or wait just a bit for the Note 9.

Cheers
Davyo

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol