I recently made the jump for my wife and I from iOs to Android. We ended up picking up some brand new in box Galaxy s9's to replace our Iphone X's

How can I tell if these were unlocked from Samsung or unlocked from a carrier?

If they are unlocked from Samsung. So I still have to wait for my current carrier to push new updates as they come?

And if it was unlocked from Say.... Sprint.... Being on my canadian carrier now, who pushes the updates to me?
    06-14-2018 12:04 AM
    How do you tell? By the model number. G960W is an unlocked (by Samsung) Canadian phone. G960U is an unlocked US phone. G960P would be phone locked to Sprint. (But Sprint and Verizon don't usually SIM-lock their phones.) Anything else is probably unlocked by the carrier, but I can't see a carrier unlocking a phone.

Who updates it? Since it's not on the original carrier, probably Samsung. If it's the factory unlocked version (U or W), Samsung. So either way, probably Samsung.
    06-14-2018 01:40 PM
    How do you tell? By the model number. G960W is an unlocked (by Samsung) Canadian phone. G960U is an unlocked US phone. G960P would be phone locked to Sprint. (But Sprint and Verizon don't usually SIM-lock their phones.) Anything else is probably unlocked by the carrier, but I can't see a carrier unlocking a phone.

Who updates it? Since it's not on the original carrier, probably Samsung. If it's the factory unlocked version (U or W), Samsung. So either way, probably Samsung.
    As far as I know, Sprint does SIM lock their phones and it was announced in February that Verizon would start SIM locking their phones soon.
    06-14-2018 02:00 PM