Need to enter password/pattern instead of biometric using Nova Launcher timeout to lock to phone

Katsuraz

May 2, 2017
Visit site
I've been using Nova Launcher Prime with my Galaxy S8+ since it came out last year. Locking the phone with "Timeout" method had been working flawlessly.

Last week, I switched to S9+ and imported my Nova Launcher settings from my old S8+.
At first, I thought the screen locking works fine as it was in my S8+ but sometimes I noticed, it needs me to enter my password as required by the security policy instead of using biometrics.

I re-checked my screen lock method in Nova Launcher to make sure it is set to timeout, remove all my fingerprints and register it again, tried to activate/deactivate device admin permission for Screen Lock Nova Action, restart the phone several times. It still often needs me to enter my password instead of letting me use my fingerprints. This becomes really frustrating for me having to type my password when I'm in hurry getting into my device.

Anyone know where did I get it wrong? :(

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
This has been normal behavior on all of my recent phones (Pixels and Nexus) -- from time to time, the phone will ask the user to reenter the backup password/PIN/pattern for added security. It might be if the phone hasn't been unlocked for a certain duration, or if there have been a couple of unsuccessful fingerprint unlock attempts. Can you give us a better idea of how frequently it's happening?

Katsuraz

May 2, 2017
Visit site
This has been normal behavior on all of my recent phones (Pixels and Nexus) -- from time to time, the phone will ask the user to reenter the backup password/PIN/pattern for added security. It might be if the phone hasn't been unlocked for a certain duration, or if there have been a couple of unsuccessful fingerprint unlock attempts. Can you give us a better idea of how frequently it's happening?

Very often. After I read your reply, I tried locking my device with Nova gesture and leave it untouched for about 10 minutes. I picked up my phone and it needs me to draw my pattern rather than using my fingerprints. :'(

If I try to unlock the phone after locking it with Nova gesture immediately, the biometrics will work fine.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Do you need Nova to do the screen lock? That feature might be interfering. Try going to Settings>Security>Device Administrators and uncheck Nova. Now see if the problem persists.

Katsuraz

May 2, 2017
Visit site
Do you need Nova to do the screen lock? That feature might be interfering. Try going to Settings>Security>Device Administrators and uncheck Nova. Now see if the problem persists.

It was already unchecked. I used the timeout method that doesn't need device admin to turn the screen off. :(

r511

Mar 31, 2018
Visit site
You have to choose the second lock option in the popup window when you set up the screen lock.
I can't remember what it says.
I'm using Nova with double tap to sleep and I have zero issues unlocking with fingerprint.

rigosj

Sep 6, 2014
Visit site
It was already unchecked. I used the timeout method that doesn't need device admin to turn the screen off. :(

Remove all the device administrators one by one. I am sure this will solve the problem.
For me it was the Greenify that caused the problem.