Hello, I got my S9 from my phone company about a month ago, it died lastnight to 0% and now when i plug it in it shows a white lightning bolt with a gray circle around it when its plugged in itll flash on and off, it doesnt signify that its charging and I cant get it to charge, is there any way to fix this I have tried the Volume Down and Power button technique, thats all ive tried
    06-17-2018 10:53 AM
    have you tried a different cable cord? Mine will show that when the cable is no good or slow charging.
    06-17-2018 12:40 PM
    Lithium batteries that are fully discharged can blow up if they're charged. (Remember the Note 7s?) Discharging the battery all the way, like that, isn't good for their longevity either - doing it every charge cycle, even if you can recharge them, will kill them in a month or two. NEVER lett the battery discharge below 25%, but 40% will give you a much longer battery life. (Not charging them past 80% will also prolong their life.)

There's a little circuit in most lithium batteries that disconnects the battery from the terminals (internally) if the battery voltage drops too low - and they'd have to go back to the factory to get that reset, which hardly pays, because it would cost you (or Samsung) a few hundred dollars, so it's cheaper to replace the battery.

I suggest that you plug in the charger and leave it plugged in for at least 4 hours before even looking at the phone again. If that still doesn't start it charging, bring the phone into your carrier ("the phone company") and ask them for assistance - they may have a charger that does a precharge, to get it to the point that it can be charged. If it hasn't internally disconnected yet, that would bring it back. (But if it has, you'll need the battery replaced.)

Lithium batteries are not deep-discharge batteries. We use them because the electrodes in batteries have to conduct electricity, and lithium is the lightest metal. (Okay, for nit-pickers, hydrogen is, but the refrigeration plant to keep an ounce of hydrogen in the metallic state would weigh a few hundred pounds.) A lead-acid battery could be fully discharged and fully charged over and over (look at the abuse car batteries take), but you don't want to carry 6 ounces of lead around with you, so we use lithium. We just have to learn how to use the batteries properly. (GSam Battery Monitor makes it easy - set an alarm for 81% on the high side and 39% on the low side and let the phone tell you when to charge it and when to unplug the charger.)

(A bad cable shouldn't give you the indication you're getting. You can try a different one, or even someone else's charger, but I doubt that's the problem.)
    BerryBubbles likes this.
    06-17-2018 12:58 PM
    yes i did i just bought a wireless charger as my main way of charging now
    06-17-2018 03:15 PM
    have you tried a different cable cord? Mine will show that when the cable is no good or slow charging.
    yes i have a wireless charger now and that works
    06-17-2018 03:15 PM
    Keeping a phone between 40% and 85% means you can't even go out for a few hours without having to charge again and any normal user will hit those % in just a few hours being outside unless you just keep your phone in your pocket at standby mode the whole time. And if your gonna keep it between 40 & 85% you only use 45% of your phones battery capacity which seems a waste if you ask me.
    06-20-2018 03:18 AM