Verizon S9 update failing

spgiva

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
So for the last week or so my phone has been telling me there is an update for my S9. When I go to install it, it downloads fine, but fails about 30% of the way through the installation process. It has failed 4 or 5 times now, always at the same point. Any ideas how to correct this without wiping my phone?

Thanks
-SPG

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
25% to 30% is about the point an update fails if the phone is rooted (or has ever been rooted) or if you've made any change to the system - which you can't without root. (Updating a rooted phone, or a phone with system changes, could brick it.)

If it's never been rooted, bring it into Verizon and ask if they could please run the update for you.

spgiva

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
Thanks, nope never rooted my phone and bought it new from best buy. Was hoping for an answer I could do myself, but I will take it in if need be.

osubass1

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
how much free internal storage do you have?

in the past, most updates expect you to have 20GB - 30GB free to complete an update.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
You could try to do a fdr if nothing else works. You would need to do it anyway if you get a warranty replacement

Jul 14, 2018
Visit site
I bought a new phone from Best Buy also and am having the same issue. Updates fail and give me a message to connect manually to a computer to complete updates. Have you found a fix for this yet?