No thanks, Bixby

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
In order to use Bixby, among other things one must check off an innocuous little box called "use content providers for Bixby features".

Ummmmm.......

Click on that "content providers" link, and you'll discover that you must agree to let Foursquare and Uber have your data.

Absent checking that button (plus all the others), you can't move forward in the Bixby setup. The Next button is grayed out.

Samsung, you're utterly insane. (A) we live in a world with Google Assistant, and (B) you want me to let Uber in on my life just so I can use Bixby??? For that matter, you want to partner with ANYONE at this level just to allow me to use Bixby??

Gee, does anyone wonder why Bixby is a failure. (That's not a question.)

lindajm22

Mar 15, 2018
Visit site
I don't have those content providers agreed to and I use Bixby. I can't remember now though if I had to agree initially and then remove the agreements later. I may have done that. But in any event, you do have the option of using Bixby without that if you choose.
fafa1c7f7d6e298eacf787b7dd10bc53.jpg

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
I can't move forward in the setup process without agreeing to those.

I will not agree to those even just to get past the setup process on the chance that I can then go back and uncheck them.

Perhaps it's a carrier thing?

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Well, if you're willing to try, maybe you can agree then go to Bixby settings and then revoke permission after? You can always clear Bixby app data if that doesn't work.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
How do you get into the settings to revoke these permissions? I can't seem to find it

Sorry, I meant phone settings. Try going to phone settings under the applications menu and look for Bixby. You can control app permissions for all your apps there.

lindajm22

Mar 15, 2018
Visit site
It's not in the phone settings. You have to go into Bixby settings from within the app then go to Privacy and at the very bottom is Bixby Home Content Providers. Go in there and then click on each of Foursquare and Uber and revoke permissions.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
It's not in the phone settings. You have to go into Bixby settings from within the app then go to Privacy and at the very bottom is Bixby Home Content Providers. Go in there and then click on each of Foursquare and Uber and revoke permissions.

Right. I got confused. I was thinking of the global app permission controls. LOL.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech