Does anyone worried about screen burn in?

anon(10311036)

Sep 4, 2017
Visit site
So, i have an LG G6 for about 1 year. Im pretty satisfied with the device, but im thinking about jumping to S9 + , but ive been reading a lot of people complaining about the S8/S8 plus screens. I never had an amoled phone, so, should I get worried? Im from Brazil and Sansung warranties here are famous for not being efective. Should I buy the lg g7 instead?

Thanks guys, I apreciate all your opinions.
Today 09:36 AM

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I've had 2 Note 3s since 2013 - not the least bit of burn-in on either one. But I keep the screen brightness sown to about 20% at home and about 35% in a brighter-lit office. (Even in Walmart, 20% is fine.) Keeping the screen at 100% all the time and keeping the screen on even when you're not using it (like setting the screen time-out to 10 minutes) is just begging for burn-in.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I think you will not have an issue of burn-in with either device - as Rukbat above me stated, it's about how you use the phone (high brightness, long screen timeout) that can contribute to burn-in. If you take care of your devices and keep your phone brightness down (or even use auto-brightness), you will be just fine. :)

Dooki

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
on AMOLED screens it can happen if precautions aren't taken. don't run it at full brightness with a static screen, or leave a static screen on for a long time anyway. most phones and apps do a decent job of having a moving picture, the aod is a prime example, it moves every couple of minutes. Google maps is a bad example.

some people throw giant fits about not being able to run it with the screen maxed out for hours on end without burn in. AMOLED can't handle that. As an example, if you purchased a hand new Honda Civic Type R and decided that running it at 8,000 RPMs on a thousand mile trip, your gonna blow the engine and the dealer is not going to warranty it.

karelj

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I am concerned about it. It happened on my previous phone - Lumia 950. It wasn't severe, but it was noticeable.
So now I am taking precautions.
Screen brightness around 30% unless I am outside in direct sunlight.
Not dilly-dallying with the screen on. Check what I have to check and then I am out.
If I am on the couch and I have to do something "extensive", I use my tablet instead.

D.P.G.

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
If the Honda was purchased new the dealer / factory would warrantee it since there is no limitation on RPM as it relates to time. I've had an S7, S8 Plus and S9 Plus set to 100% brightness from the day they are released until I purchase a new phone with no burn in what so ever. Just don't leave a static image for a long time. The top bar is always on and it never gets burnt in. Worrying over nothing.

Dooki

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
They wouldn't warranty because it's user fault. Just like they won't warranty a windshield because you got mad and punched it. I know both of these for a fact, I got some dumb friends.

I use mine at whatever brightness I need but I just make sure it's not static, that is the important part. But it is a concern because it does happen, it happened to every amoled screen eventually unless care is taken. There are a lot of threads about it, pixels, iPhones, LG, Samsung, all have the issue. Sometimes it's a bad screen, almost always it's because someone left Google maps on for a road trip, or the music player.

What would fix it is if there was a setting that every five minutes it would invert the screen on specific apps, or have them shrink and shift like the AOD.

D.P.G.

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I own 3 Honda dealerships and we are happy to repair any damage because the factory pays a preset amount providing the owner did not modify the auto. There would be no way to know at what given RPM the car was driven or for how long, there is a limiter to prevent it from exceeding red line. So if the car was under factory warrantee of course it would be repaired at no cost. And the Honda Civic Type R could go 1000 miles at 8000 rpm. Punching the window is obviously a very different situation. But back to the screen before you have any problems you will be on to a new phone if your really worried buy the Samsung warrantee for 2 years directly from Samsung and for $75.00 they will replace the phone if anything happens even dropping it which is more likely then screen burn.

MrDoh

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I've heard more about LG screen burn-in than Samsung. Actually, I've heard nothing about Samsung screen burn-in, but the Pixel 2 XL screens are made by LG, and people have talked about problems with them.

So personally, I'd feel better about the screen on a Samsung phone than the screen on an LG phone. If you treat your Samsung phone right, I'm sure that you won't have a burn-in problem. For LG, not so sure.

UdiBerry

Mar 17, 2018
Visit site
I now have a burn-in in my S9+.
It's in the upper part of the screen, probably from watching YouTube in portrait mode (where you can see the video and comments bellow) - the burn in is in the part where the video is displayed.
I think it's because the Video Enhancer turns the brightness to maximum when the YouTube app is open.

I went to Samsung's service center and they agreed to replace the screen under warranty, but they said it'd take up to 10 business days so I decided to pass and live with it as it's barely noticable anyway...

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
So, i have an LG G6 for about 1 year. Im pretty satisfied with the device, but im thinking about jumping to S9 + , but ive been reading a lot of people complaining about the S8/S8 plus screens. I never had an amoled phone, so, should I get worried? Im from Brazil and Sansung warranties here are famous for not being efective. Should I buy the lg g7 instead?

Thanks guys, I apreciate all your opinions.
Today 09:36 AM
I've had the S8 since launch and it's my first AMOLED device as well. I've had no issues with burn in whatsoever. I do manage brightness manually and I frequently change themes that change the nav bar. I don't know if those things play a factor, but again, no issues.

anon(10311036)

Sep 4, 2017
Visit site
I think you will not have an issue of burn-in with either device - as Rukbat above me stated, it's about how you use the phone (high brightness, long screen timeout) that can contribute to burn-in. If you take care of your devices and keep your phone brightness down (or even use auto-brightness), you will be just fine. :)

Thanks Morty, I see your point.. im just worried about spending a lot of money to get an high end device and get dissapointed. It happened with my lg g6.. spent a large amount of money on it (here in brazil) and at the end of the day i have a anyoing lock buton, bad camera, so bad I use my moto x play to take pictures instead of the lg g6.

anon(10311036)

Sep 4, 2017
Visit site
on AMOLED screens it can happen if precautions aren't taken. don't run it at full brightness with a static screen, or leave a static screen on for a long time anyway. most phones and apps do a decent job of having a moving picture, the aod is a prime example, it moves every couple of minutes. Google maps is a bad example.

some people throw giant fits about not being able to run it with the screen maxed out for hours on end without burn in. AMOLED can't handle that. As an example, if you purchased a hand new Honda Civic Type R and decided that running it at 8,000 RPMs on a thousand mile trip, your gonna blow the engine and the dealer is not going to warranty it.

Got your point Doki. Im in Brazil, and the sansung warranty in brazil sucks! im even considering an iphone 7 with metal in the back, just because of resistance. But im already dreaming with my s9 plus. Ill make my decision to this days, i cant use my lg g6 anymore, the camera sucks!

anon(10311036)

Sep 4, 2017
Visit site
I've heard more about LG screen burn-in than Samsung. Actually, I've heard nothing about Samsung screen burn-in, but the Pixel 2 XL screens are made by LG, and people have talked about problems with them.

So personally, I'd feel better about the screen on a Samsung phone than the screen on an LG phone. If you treat your Samsung phone right, I'm sure that you won't have a burn-in problem. For LG, not so sure.

Thanks mrDoh, so look, i have a lg g6 and the screen is perfect, i have it for about one year. But lg warranties in brazil works great! they replace almost anything for a new phone. Also they offer a discount for those upgrading their lgs. however, im dreaming about an S9 plus.. the problem is the sansung warranty here is so so bad. But since you guys are telling me just to get caution, ill give it a try. thanks

anon(10311036)

Sep 4, 2017
Visit site
I now have a burn-in in my S9+.
It's in the upper part of the screen, probably from watching YouTube in portrait mode (where you can see the video and comments bellow) - the burn in is in the part where the video is displayed.
I think it's because the Video Enhancer turns the brightness to maximum when the YouTube app is open.

I went to Samsung's service center and they agreed to replace the screen under warranty, but they said it'd take up to 10 business days so I decided to pass and live with it as it's barely noticable anyway...

where do you live? hows the Samsung warranty there?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Morty, I see your point.. im just worried about spending a lot of money to get an high end device and get dissapointed. It happened with my lg g6.. spent a large amount of money on it (here in brazil) and at the end of the day i have a anyoing lock buton, bad camera, so bad I use my moto x play to take pictures instead of the lg g6.

I do see your point, as well. I think there's a certain amount of risk involved when you buy any phone of any manufacturer or platform. Maybe it'll get dropped and the screen will shatter; maybe the battery will be defective; or maybe it'll work very well for two years... You never know when it comes to tech. It's a risk we take with things like computers, phones, tablets... Yet we cobtibue to do it! :)

If you are worried, toy could always purchase a type of phone insurance; but those sometimes involve paying monthly installments and paying upfront when your phone gets damaged. Read the fine print!

r511

Mar 31, 2018
Visit site
I bought the s9 plus the day it came out. Four days later AOD was burned into my screen.
I went to T-mobile where they confirmed it was burn in.
Left the store with a brand new phone (different colour) but haven't had an issue since. I don't use AOD any longer though.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I bought the s9 plus the day it came out. Four days later AOD was burned into my screen.
I went to T-mobile where they confirmed it was burn in.
Left the store with a brand new phone (different colour) but haven't had an issue since. I don't use AOD any longer though.

I'm glad that all got sorted out for you; and that you haven't had an issue since then!

HNNNNNGHHH

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
No burn in or other display issues such as lack of color uniformity or dead pixels of any kind on my device. I usually check for these heavily beforehand within the 14-day return period as per Best Buy where I got my S9.

I usually run my display around the 30-40% brightness and very rarely go up to max brightness and any apps like Youtube and Chrome which I know I'll have the display running for a decently extended amount of time I have tweaked to remove status bar via System UI Tuner and I always have my navbar hidden anyways whenever I can. I don't even use AOD and usually rely on the LED indicator for notifications.

Basically, I'm not worried about burn in though I've taken precautions regardless. Besides, Samsung is pretty consistent with their AMOLED displays unlike LG Display.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tony2