04-11-2019 12:33 AM
63 123
tools
    Let me through my 2 cents in I just switched to a S9 from a iPhone 8 and my S9 is so much brighter in the sun light then the iPhone 8 hands down
    07-25-2018 10:59 PM
    So while an OLED screen may indeed reach a maximum brightness twice that of an LCD screen, this does not automatically equate to better screen visibility. You also have to factor in the OLED software that does the automatic "color washout" feature when in direct sunlight. If that algorithm is not working, then there's a software issue as well to consider.
    Exactly. Brightness alone does not equate to great visibility of what's on your screen in sunlight or other very bright environments. Glass compensation factor or thickness, viewing angles, every thing above also mentioned and many more. Plus each one of has our own pair of eyes to draw a conclusion with that varies from individual to individual.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-27-2018 07:19 PM
    I find my S9 screen to look washed out in bright sunlight... as if the colors were faded by the sun lol. iPhone X was much better in this respect.
    07-27-2018 08:25 PM
    I find my S9 screen to look washed out in bright sunlight... as if the colors were faded by the sun lol. iPhone X was much better in this respect.
    That's actually intentional. All Samsungs do this in very bright sunlight. It allows it to be much more readable in sunlight without having to go full brightness which would hasten burn in. Since I live in a tropical country, sunlight here at noon time is excessive, I tried exposing the phone to bright light, then put it back in the shade, and I would see the color correction happen since the washout effect lasts for a second still since the light difference between outside my window and indoors is drastic.
    nate0 and Laura Knotek like this.
    07-27-2018 11:53 PM
    That is right. It is similar to most any sunlight readability modes purpose. Drive the white point higher while holding all the colors at a 100% brightness. The Nokia and Microsoft Windows 8 and Windows 10 phones are known for this as well. Using the Color Profile service app and drivers. In most cases it is much more noticeable in that mobile OS (the washed out effect) than any other OS I have used. Sometimes it helps and other times not so much. Depends on what is on the screen.

It all is about how the OEM/Maker are able to proprietorially drive their screens with a given OS software and drivers.
    07-28-2018 12:06 AM
    I have the Note 8 Galaxy. I go outside in cloudy but bright light and the camera's screen is so dim I can barely see it. I see brightness is a maximum. I try turning off Auto, which worked for my old S5, but it is still dim. Comparisons aside, it fails.
    10-10-2018 11:29 AM
    I have the Note 8 Galaxy. I go outside in cloudy but bright light and the camera's screen is so dim I can barely see it. I see brightness is a maximum. I try turning off Auto, which worked for my old S5, but it is still dim. Comparisons aside, it fails.
    I have the same issue with camera screen in bright light.
    10-11-2018 09:59 PM
    Hmmm, i never knew iPhones were better than Samsung under sunlight... Considering iPhone's screen is made by Samsung.

I recently compared my S9 Plus to my Fiancee's iPhone XS Max(both with auto brightness ON) went under the sun at 13.00 Noon and my S9 Plus did better... On the XSM i had to adjust the distance between my eyes and the device. But it's just for me. Not sure if it happened for anyone else.
    10-12-2018 07:25 AM
    That's actually intentional. All Samsungs do this in very bright sunlight. It allows it to be much more readable in sunlight without having to go full brightness which would hasten burn in. Since I live in a tropical country, sunlight here at noon time is excessive, I tried exposing the phone to bright light, then put it back in the shade, and I would see the color correction happen since the washout effect lasts for a second still since the light difference between outside my window and indoors is drastic.
    iPhone users dont want stuff to be much more readable. They just want the brightness to be so bright, everybody can tell its an iPhone from 1km away in broad daylight xD.
    chanchan05 likes this.
    10-12-2018 07:29 AM
    The extra brightness that comes on during bright light is not limited to auto mode only.

It gets extra brighter under sunlight it bright light even in regular mode.

I'm on a note 8, but it's been like this since the note 4 or 5.

You can easily simulate this by aiming the flash light of another phone onto the sensor.

It'll brighten you. Turn off the flashlight and it darkens.
    12-12-2018 01:36 AM
    Just to add to what those S9+ users have said about outdoor and sunlight. I have mine set to about 30-35% and I have no issues indoor or outdoor. And yes the S9+ is the king of displays when it comes to outdoors!!!
    12-13-2018 10:24 AM
    I don't have a Samsung phone but I've been told my phone has a Samsung OLED display. I can't find any information except here so I hope you all can help me. I have a One Plus 6 phone. It has an OLED display. When I go outside, it is impossible to see the screen. It's not hard to see, its IMPOSSIBLE to see. Therefore I can't take pictures outside even on a cloudy day. I've read to turn on auto brightness. I HATE using the auto brightness. It never is right. And I've tried and it still isn't good outside. Can it be that the factory installed screen protector is to blame? I like the phone but I'll sell it if I can't use it outside. Is an LCD screen better outdoors? I didn't have this problem on my old iPhone 6 Plus.
    04-10-2019 10:54 PM
    I don't have a Samsung phone but I've been told my phone has a Samsung OLED display. I can't find any information except here so I hope you all can help me. I have a One Plus 6 phone. It has an OLED display. When I go outside, it is impossible to see the screen. It's not hard to see, its IMPOSSIBLE to see. Therefore I can't take pictures outside even on a cloudy day. I've read to turn on auto brightness. I HATE using the auto brightness. It never is right. And I've tried and it still isn't good outside. Can it be that the factory installed screen protector is to blame? I like the phone but I'll sell it if I can't use it outside. Is an LCD screen better outdoors? I didn't have this problem on my old iPhone 6 Plus.
    It could be the protector. I don't use protectors.
    04-11-2019 12:33 AM
63 123