Need some people with the s9 to help test something.

If you have an s9 can you go to the dialer and hit the voicemail icon. Do you get the phone call voicemail or visual voicemail?

On my s9 I get the voice mail phone call but on my s6 I would get an awesome visual voicemail experience. (yes I know there is a separate app for tmobile visual voicemail but the dialer one is better) how do I get the one in the dialer?
    07-21-2018 10:16 PM
    Hi, if I select the voicemail icon from dialer, I connect to the standard voicemail.

That being said, I always have used the T-Mobile Visual Voicemail app. All I can confirm is that the standard 'non' visual voicemail app comes up on my s9+ & my husbands s9 from the dialer. Hopefully, someone has some tricks up their sleeve!
    07-22-2018 12:58 AM
    "the dialer one is better" simply means that "Samsung used to have a great visual voicemail interface in the S6, but they took it way on the S9".

Samsung owns the user interface and user experience, and you're experiencing the results of their decision in this matter.

I would suggest that maybe they felt no need to handle this as the carrier software has matured over the years. If you get an unlocked phone, for example, and plug in a T-Mo SIM, the T-Mo visual voicemail app appears automagically. I'd bet that didn't happen years ago.
    07-22-2018 06:44 AM
    It's just strange at how inconsistent it all is. The in dialer visual voicemail is a thing on the s9 but it is not enabled from tmobile I guess? The tmobile app from the play store is way outdated. Weird how the native visual voicemail works on old hardware
    07-22-2018 04:33 PM
    You mean the small icon on the bottom left of the dialer--the envelope with the tape reels?

That just takes you to voice mail. It's a one touch dial for that. It's not by definition a "visual voicemail" thing. My phone is a T-Mobile phone, and on my phone, clearly they've done it up T-Mobile's way.

As for the TMo VV app on the Play Store, it's the same one that was built into my phone--either that, or my T-Mobile S9+ simply automatically downloaded the current one from the Play Store. Whatever. Why do you say it's "outdated"? It works great.
    07-22-2018 05:40 PM
    Not sure why it wouldn't be that way for the S9 but on the plus it DOES take you to TMo's visual voicemail app. For those who mentioned this is a Samsung "choice", wrong... Visual voicemail is entirely carrier-dependent, even for unlocked models. Have you checked that visual voicemail is enabled for your line?
    07-23-2018 01:34 PM
    Not sure why it wouldn't be that way for the S9 but on the plus it DOES take you to TMo's visual voicemail app. For those who mentioned this is a Samsung "choice", wrong... Visual voicemail is entirely carrier-dependent, even for unlocked models. Have you checked that visual voicemail is enabled for your line?
    How does yours take you to the VV app? I have the T-mobile S9 Plus and when I press the dialer icon it brings up the regular voicemail.
    07-23-2018 04:02 PM
    How does yours take you to the VV app? I have the T-mobile S9 Plus and when I press the dialer icon it brings up the regular voicemail.
    Mine just opens the visual voicemail app. When you say 'regular voicemail', you mean that it just dials the voicemail number? Only thing I can think of is activating visual voicemail for the line, but if the app works on yours, then that should mean the line has it active.
    07-23-2018 05:42 PM
    Mine just opens the visual voicemail app. When you say 'regular voicemail', you mean that it just dials the voicemail number? Only thing I can think of is activating visual voicemail for the line, but if the app works on yours, then that should mean the line has it active.
    My s9+ dialer icon just takes me to the basic voicemail, I use the visual voice mail app. I pre-ordered my phone thru T-Mobile, however, after installing AIDA64, I realized the phone is unlocked, as is my husband's s9. Maybe that's the reason. Unless...your phone is also unlocked. If so, never mind... =)
    Attached Thumbnails Tmobile S9 Visual Voicemail-ss_dialer.jpg  
    07-23-2018 07:58 PM
    Not sure why it wouldn't be that way for the S9 but on the plus it DOES take you to TMo's visual voicemail app.
    On my T-Mobile S9+, it simply dials the regular voicemail number.
    07-23-2018 08:13 PM
    No idea why, mine opens the visual voicemail app. I don't pay for the 'premium' transcription service, and it's been that way in all the phones I've had in T-Mobile since I can remember.
    07-23-2018 11:49 PM