When is samsung going to bring updates to the s9?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date

djrakowski

Q&A Team
May 4, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central!

Did you buy an unlocked S9, or did you buy it from your carrier?

Either way, who knows? Samsung has been rather slow to provide updates to unlocked phones. If you purchased it from your mobile carrier, then you'll have to ask them instead.

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Android Central.

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
Most of the carrier ones have had updates. It's the US unlocked models that are lagging. This is exactly why I didn't buy the unlocked. The s8 unlocked US version was notorious for the same thing. The one to buy is the international version if u want updates but then you get no warranty. Hooray!

bonanza41

Aug 1, 2018
Visit site
Not sure if this is the right place to ask but I have an ATT branded s9 that is unlocked and I am on Mint Mobile. Will I get the updates needed for my S9 if I'm not on ATT network?

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
Not sure if this is the right place to ask but I have an ATT branded s9 that is unlocked and I am on Mint Mobile. Will I get the updates needed for my S9 if I'm not on ATT network?

I doubt it. My at&t s9 gets updates but I'm on cricket and they own cricket. I had a Verizon s7 edge that completely stopped getting updates when I moved to at&t. If you have access to a computer download that Samsung program kies and it should be able to fetch and install updates that way. Many times that update has come through quicker than ota for me.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

You would continue getting updates from AT&T.

I have a unlocked T-Mobile Note 8 and the updates still come from T-Mobile. Back in April, I was using that phone on AT&T. Oreo was released for that phone on Easter night and the update didn't show up on that phone until I removed the AT&T sim and rebooted the phone using a T-Mobile sim but the update came directly from T-Mobile just as your updates will come from AT&T.

bonanza41

Aug 1, 2018
Visit site
So I need to put my ATT sim back in and reboot? I don't have service with ATT. Does that matter? Thanks for your time.

I was in touch with Samsung customer service today and they claim the only way for me to get updates is to bring phone to Best Buy and have then install the updates. WTH. The nearest Best Buy to me is a 4 hour round trip drive. Really???? To up date software??? I'm stunned.

Last edited:

Bankokbob54

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Sounds logical to me. Not sure why you don't understand that each carrier has a different variant of the same phone which is the deciding factor in them releasing updates from the manufacturer. Each variant will have different bugs for that very reason. Trust me, you don't want them releasing updates to their customers before they have weeded out those bugs and still some get by that process. I'm not trying to patronize you, but this is basic stuff.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
So I need to put my ATT sim back in and reboot? I don't have service with ATT. Does that matter? Thanks for your time.

I was in touch with Samsung customer service today and they claim the only way for me to get updates is to bring phone to Best Buy and have then install the updates. WTH. The nearest Best Buy to me is a 4 hour round trip drive. Really???? To up date software??? I'm stunned.

If you have a PC/Mac, just download the SmartSwitch program for it and update it yourself.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke