I don't use Google Assistant anymore. I use Bixby.

MarkDaNerd

Jul 27, 2018
Visit site
I'll admit after hearing all the bad things about bixby I turned it off when I got my phone. Then I watched a video on youtube about bixby and it looked cool with some interesting features. I decided to give it a shot. U was pleasantly surprised. The voice recognition wasnt as terrible as people put it. The integration with the software was unbeatable. It also could answer some simple questions pretty well. The only thing I found that google assistant could do that bixby cant is with continued conversation but that is being resolved with bixby 2.0. After this I decided to disable google assistant and live with bixby. Goodbye GA.

HNNNNNGHHH

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I mix my usage between Assistant and Bixby and I usually resort to using Bixby if I need to do something very device specific. Otherwise I go with Google Assistant.

That being said, I've had a much better experience with Bixby Vision compared to Google Lens, which either doesn't recognize an object I'm pointing the camera app or recognizes it but pulls up random results that have nothing to do with what I just showed the camera. Might just be me though.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
I actually like Bixby. That and google Assistant essentially are different and I use both for different things. If you use Bixby for device specific things it’s fantastic. I use Google Assistant for searches and info. For me it’s the perfect combo.

Cloudane

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Ooh controversial! Seriously I've never seen anything get as much of an unbridled hate bandwagon as Bixby, and I've owned iPhones so have seen my fair share of hate. I think even Jeremy Corbyn is treated more fairly than this one!

There was a bug in the past week or so where you couldn't ask Bixby something like "open Google Play Music and play my cheese playlist" (she'd think it wasn't installed) and you simply couldn't ask anyone about it as all the responses were "lol you use Bixby?! You *****. Turn it off!! Problem solved!"
An update came through today... it's fixed :) But already the few others I saw asking about it have been convinced to just install disablers and never use it again.

I use both and play to their strengths rather than see it as some sort of rivalry where one has to be turned off and the other has to "win". Good managers have PAs - great managers have a team ;)

Bixby's strength is in phone settings and anything that deals with the Samsung apps. So things like starting and stopping Samsung Health workouts, taking photos by voice command, setting reminders, turning on wifi calling when you're not too sure where the setting is, etc. What I like is it also shows you on the screen what it's up to. Also the ability to chain commands, or to make an alias like "good morning" that automates a chain of commands without having to say them all.

GA's strengths are in general queries and anything related to what Google might have learned about you (unless you're one of these who thinks Google is some moustache twirling villain who needs to know that you tend to pick up a bottle of water in Tesco on a Tuesday morning so that they can meet you there and suck out your soul for some nefarious scheme, or that overnight the government will turn evil and hack Google's database so they can round up and exterminate anyone who likes tacos, and have therefore turned it all off). Knowing what you're referring to if you say "how's the match going", remembering your shopping list, dealing with Google apps, getting you home when you've had a few too many jagerbombs and are a dribbling mess, etc.

Admittedly I don't get much from the "Bixby Home" thing and have turned that off, the button is remapped to the Android equivalent of alt-tab so I can quickly switch between Pokemon Go and Ingress, but holding the button down still calls Bixby and saying "okay Google" still calls Google.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
It's on my S8+, which I have as few Google apps on as possible. I play around with it but I don't see it as being even in the same category as GA.

Yup it's not. I don't think GA can do the quick commands or do multiple things in a single command. Like setting up a single command to turn off data, turn on wifi, adjust volume and turn on do not disturb just by saying "Bixby, I'm home."

Bixby is superior to GA in controlling the phone, GA is superior for cloud based stuff and information.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
You have to give your privacy to use Google assistant and Bixby?
Well it can't do some of the stuff they're for if it doesn't have access. For example, how will you tell Bixby to 'Make a new album out of the pictures I took in Chicago" if it doesn't have access to the pictures and the embedded location data? How can you tell it to call your mom if it doesn't have access to your contacts?

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
My use case for Bixby is anything and everything I want to do with my phone.

Google Assistant is pretty good for rest of the stuff.

Dooki

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
my experience is about the same. but my biggest issues with bixby are that it will not work with wemo, requires the hub. it's voice recognition is atrocious.
oh. and it will only sent texts with Samsung messages

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
For one thing, I could care less if the world knew where I was at any given moment, considering my job needs me to be easily accessible and my colleagues knowing how to get to me is kind of critical.

If there's anything you want to keep private, don't put it on the phone. It's as simple as that. If you do that, then there's no issue giving an app complete access to the device since everything in it is something that I'd show/tell you if you ask anyway.
You not worried giving your privacy?

I guess if you want something free then you have to be the product

Dooki

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
If there's anything you want to keep private, don't put it on the phone. It's as simple as that. If you do that, then there's no issue giving an app complete access to the device since everything in it is something that I'd show/tell you if you ask anyway.

Let's be real, if you are truly concerned about privacy then you won't have a phone at all, or internet, or most things that involve modern living.

Google and Facebook takes things way to far.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Let's be real, if you are truly concerned about privacy then you won't have a phone at all, or internet, or most things that involve modern living.

Google and Facebook takes things way to far.

You have a point, but as there's also degrees of privacy. Like there are some things that's okay for you to share, and some aren't. To which as I said, then keep it out of reach. Simple.

It all boils down to one simple thing that has been true from age immemorial: "If you want to keep a secret, don't tell anyone." I mean, okay, you want to have the convenience of an Assistant but don't want to share some data? Fine. Then don't give it the data you want to hide.

Think of it as an actual human Personal Assistant. For that PA to be able to his/her job, it needs your data. It needs your phone number of course, it needs your contacts of course. I mean how will the PA know to inform your business partner you want a meeting if the PA doesn't know their number? Telling your human PA to inform your wife that you won't be home for dinner is the same as telling Bixby to text your wife you won't be home for dinner. They both need access to your messaging app (because the PA will be holding your phone) and your contacts.

Now like how you hide stuff from your PA, you keep a separate phone, then similarly to hide stuff from Bixby/GA, use a separate phone with that disabled. Or use the secure folder features of the devices. Pretty simple.

You can't tell Bixby to create a new photo album for you without giving it access to your photos.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Well I'm not hopping on the bandwagon since I have tried it and.. it sucks ;P. So does Siri.

Both just simply don't compare for me. I have an Alexa built into my fire cube and even it can get annoying because sometimes if I don't say something just right.. it gets confused.
Ooh controversial! Seriously I've never seen anything get as much of an unbridled hate bandwagon as Bixby, and I've owned iPhones so have seen my fair share of hate. I think even Jeremy Corbyn is treated more fairly than this one!

There was a bug in the past week or so where you couldn't ask Bixby something like "open Google Play Music and play my cheese playlist" (she'd think it wasn't installed) and you simply couldn't ask anyone about it as all the responses were "lol you use Bixby?! You *****. Turn it off!! Problem solved!"
An update came through today... it's fixed :) But already the few others I saw asking about it have been convinced to just install disablers and never use it again.

I use both and play to their strengths rather than see it as some sort of rivalry where one has to be turned off and the other has to "win". Good managers have PAs - great managers have a team ;)

Bixby's strength is in phone settings and anything that deals with the Samsung apps. So things like starting and stopping Samsung Health workouts, taking photos by voice command, setting reminders, turning on wifi calling when you're not too sure where the setting is, etc. What I like is it also shows you on the screen what it's up to. Also the ability to chain commands, or to make an alias like "good morning" that automates a chain of commands without having to say them all.

GA's strengths are in general queries and anything related to what Google might have learned about you (unless you're one of these who thinks Google is some moustache twirling villain who needs to know that you tend to pick up a bottle of water in Tesco on a Tuesday morning so that they can meet you there and suck out your soul for some nefarious scheme, or that overnight the government will turn evil and hack Google's database so they can round up and exterminate anyone who likes tacos, and have therefore turned it all off). Knowing what you're referring to if you say "how's the match going", remembering your shopping list, dealing with Google apps, getting you home when you've had a few too many jagerbombs and are a dribbling mess, etc.

Admittedly I don't get much from the "Bixby Home" thing and have turned that off, the button is remapped to the Android equivalent of alt-tab so I can quickly switch between Pokemon Go and Ingress, but holding the button down still calls Bixby and saying "okay Google" still calls Google.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37