I'm About to Upgrade to the Note 9

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I currently have the S9+. I know the battery is larger, the screen is larger and the the S-pen...LOVE my S-Pen on my Galaxy Note 2014. What other improvements can I find. I'm on with phone with Verizon right now. Is the camera better? Thanks!

UdiBerry

Mar 17, 2018
Visit site
That's basically it.
You can get the 512GB model and have 8GB of RAM instead of 6GB.
The DEX system can now work with just a USB-C to HDMI cable without the need for the docking station.
Everything else is pretty much the same (camera, screen resolution, processor, etc.).

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Camera is marginally better, but you have AI that does improve some of the shots, but for the most part you get the same output as the S9 line. Battery IS a lot better on this one, so with similar use, you should get more hours of use than your 9+. Screen is crisper, brighter, and of course, bigger. WiFi is improved as is BT connectivity (although that will also vary with what you connect it to). BUT the one thing you will notice is how much bigger this feels in your hand than the S9+. Because it's obviously taller and a bit wider, but mostly, because it's more squared than the rounded-off S9 line. It has a better grip because of it, too, but definitely noticeable.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
That's basically it.
You can get the 512GB model and have 8GB of RAM instead of 6GB.
The DEX system can now work with just a USB-C to HDMI cable without the need for the docking station.
Everything else is pretty much the same (camra, screen resolution, processor, etc.).

DeX has ALWAYS worked with just that on any DeX-compatible device. I've been using it like that with a $19 dongle from Amazon (that works on the Switch) since the first DeX phone.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
What are you talking about?

All DeX-compatible phones can go into DeX mode with an USB-C-to-HDMI dongle, no DeX station required. The only thing they changed this year on the Tab S line is the ability to switch into DeX mode without the need to mirror the screen out (and unless I missed the setting, that didn't make into the Note 9... not that it would be useful in such a smaller screen).

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
This is absolutely incorrect.
The screen is exactly the same.

Also, the AI silliness in the camera app is pretty gimmick-y...the camera module is the exact one that's found in the S9+.

Note is 6.4, S9+ is 6.2. Not the same.

As for the AI, yup, it is gimmicky. But in some shots it does pop colors up (which is not everyone's cup of tea), and the added 'YOU BLINKED!' feature is cool for some, especially selfie-consuming users.

UdiBerry

Mar 17, 2018
Visit site
All DeX-compatible phones can go into DeX mode with an USB-C-to-HDMI dongle, no DeX station required. The only thing they changed this year on the Tab S line is the ability to switch into DeX mode without the need to mirror the screen out (and unless I missed the setting, that didn't make into the Note 9... not that it would be useful in such a smaller screen).

No.
You're talking about screen mirroring.
The DEX functionality can only work with the dedicated station.
The Note 9 is the first phone that allows DEX to work without the docking station.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
No.
You're talking about screen mirroring.
The DEX functionality can only work with the dedicated station.
The Note 9 is the first phone that allows DEX to work without the docking station.

Nope, I'm talking about DeX. Once you plug it in, the phone lets you choose Mirroring or DeX Mode.

UdiBerry

Mar 17, 2018
Visit site
Still (and this proves that the 'new toy' effect is attacking my perception), not the same.

Display Brightness
Note 9: 604nits S9+: 630nits

Color Gamut
Note 9: 224% S9+: 231%

So S9+ is a bit better, actually. But not the same.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/galaxy-note-9-benchmarks,news-27773.html

Haha.... :)
BTW, GSMarena shows different specs...go figure.
anyway, I have both phones and the screens look exactly the same.

Oh, and I'll have to try the DEX thing on my S9+!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, they all will have different numbers depending on their tests but the trend should be the same (at least on the ones I've seen... S9+ > Note 9 if ever so slightly). As for the DeX mode, not sure why but people suggest you make sure to exit DeX mode before unplugging the dongle if you want to use it with mirroring later on... something about the mode getting stuck or something. Might be an overly-cautious thing like 'ejecting' USB sticks in modern computers, but there you go.

Hermes Hidayat

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I currently have the S9+. I know the battery is larger, the screen is larger and the the S-pen...LOVE my S-Pen on my Galaxy Note 2014. What other improvements can I find. I'm on with phone with Verizon right now. Is the camera better? Thanks!

Well one of the reasons i am not getting the Note 9 is that it has the same processor as my current S9+...

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
My 50 mile drive to pick up my Note 9 yesterday went south :( The phone wasn't ready. The order was "pending". I spent an hour and a half waiting as they kept saying give it just 15 more minutes, 10 more minutes. Finally someone that worked there said "honey, it's not going to happen tonight". Our dinner plans were bust and no new phone (sigh).

Get up this morning to an email saying my phone was ready. Humm, during the time at Verizon last night, that order
was supposed to be canceled so I could just buy one outright and GO HOME. But, they didn't know about the $300 credit and couldn't give it to me. Turns out the order never got cancelled :eek: Soooo, I'm about to make my 2nd 100 mile trip to get this (and it BETTER be AWESOME) phone LOL

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm not unhappy with my S9+ at all. I love it! DH is plenty unhappy with this "pure stock Android" Pixel 2XL. He want's the S9+ that he wanted in the beginning last spring. He get's mine and I get the Note (he wouldn't use the S-Pen and I do).

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Have the phone but it's still in the box. The transaction was smooth. I was all ready to ask the manager if he would like to compensate the 200 miles I've driven and the hours I spent in the store AND our busted dinner plans. A nice credit or a case would have been good :) But the girl that worked with me last night took care of me again today hugged me and said she felt so bad for me last night. Complimented my perfume (said she wears the same thing) and gave me her card and direct number if anything goes wrong. All the sudden I don't feel I can make any requests for freebies! LOL I got the anticipated let's hear your feedback email asking about the LAST person you had contact with. Dirty dogs. They plant her there so she's the last employee you talk to. She's the "good cop" ;)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar