Hi.

I recently bought an S9+ after only ever using iOS, so I'm a still getting used to the changes, but I have a question regarding notifications.

I may be the only one I know of that prefers this, but I was wondering if there's a way to set up notifications so that I get alerted every time someone I'm talking to sends a message.

Do correct me if I'm wrong here but I'm only ever alerted about the first message, be it from WhatsApp or Discord, and then any following messages from the same person or group chat dont trigger an alert until I clear the notifications.

Is there anyway to prevent this and make it so that EACH message that is sent will alert me? Again, I'm aware that I'm basically just asking to be spammed, but as someone who has quite lengthy conversations it's a little annoying to check my phone to one notification and realised I've missed about eight.

Thanks
    09-27-2018 04:38 PM
    Ummm, no, that's actually how it SHOULD be. I don't use the stock Messaging app (use Textra) so can't say for certain that's how the stock one behaves, but I get a notification for each text I receive. Same with Whatsapp. The only option I've seen in some apps is the ability to not get notified if you get a message while in the app (in theory, having an ongoing conversation), but that's it. FB Messenger also notifies me with every message I get.
    09-27-2018 04:45 PM
    OP here.

Thats really odd that mine is acting differently. My discord and WhatsApp as far as ive seen only notify me on the first message. I dont have them open at the time, and all the new messages APPEAR when I go to check the original notification, but im never alerted about them.
    09-27-2018 05:00 PM
    Do you have this issue with any other messaging apps (Facebook Messenger, Hangouts, e-mail, etc.)? What about if you try a different app for texts (again, I use Textra and I'm sure that one does make a sound per text).

Or booting up into Safe Mode? I wonder if it's an app that's causing this?
    09-27-2018 05:25 PM
    The only other app i use frequently when I'm talking to people is Discord (basically Skype) and I just tested it to the exact same result. My phone went off after the first message, but I wasn't aware of the next two until I checked my notifications.

Not sure about safe mode, but I'll look into testing it later on.
    09-27-2018 05:45 PM
    The only other app i use frequently when I'm talking to people is Discord (basically Skype) and I just tested it to the exact same result. My phone went off after the first message, but I wasn't aware of the next two until I checked my notifications.

Not sure about safe mode, but I'll look into testing it later on.
    Welcome to the forums. I've tried different possibilities with WhatsApp and no matter what I do I still get a sound for each message. Do you have any battery saver option enabled? As SpookDroid said, maybe there's another app causing this issue, do you have any RAM/memory booster app installed?

Also, different messages from the same app only create a notification icon on the status bar, but you should see all the unread messages if you swipe down from the status bar.
    09-27-2018 06:14 PM
    Yeah I guess that's what I'm looking for. I would like to have the different messages from the same app give me an alert or vibration when I receive them, rather than just the first one.

I have no booster apps installed, the s9 is basically stock because I bought it about three days ago.
    09-28-2018 01:40 AM
    That is so weird... Mine does give out a sound for each and every message received unless the app supports otherwise. I can't find any option that might be causing this on stock...

I hate to have to suggest this, but if you just bought it, is a Factory Reset worth a try? It's a PITA re-setting up your phone, but I don't see why yours should be doing this.
    09-28-2018 11:08 AM
    I'll have to keep a factory reset in mind as a last ditch effort, but so far the only real idea I've had is to set up notification reminders for the apps I use. A bit of an annoyance though. I've fully enabled all notifications on both WhatsApp and discord and nothing has been fixed. Rather annoying. Thanks for the ideas though, and be sure to tell me if you can think of anything else.
    09-29-2018 02:33 PM
    Ok after a bit of digging i somehow managed to fix the issue partially, in that if someone on whatsapp messages me multiple times I'll get all the notifications, UNLESS it's a group chat. Discord is totally broken though. Still not entirely sure why.
    09-29-2018 02:55 PM
    How did you fix whatsapp?
    09-30-2018 08:07 PM
    Hi, I'm brand new to the forum--a tech dinosaur, but trying to learn. I think I'm having the same issue with my new Moto Z3 and Message+.

I only get the sound alert for the first text. All following texts during the same conversation just display without sound or icon as long as I'm on the Message+ conversation screen. If the screen has timed out or I'm onto another page in some other app, I get the new message sound. I've tried settings in every notification menu, both for the phone and for the Message+app. I've also tried chat with Verizon. No help. Any thoughts?

Thank you!
    04-23-2019 04:02 PM
    Some messaging apps give you the option of getting alerts while the app is open while some apps do not give you that option.
    You can send an enhancement request email to the programmers of the app you are using.

"Textra" is one of the SMS apps that does give you the option.
    04-23-2019 11:30 PM
    Thank you. Those sound like good options.
    04-24-2019 08:50 PM