Poor Battery Life?

Bruce_205

Jun 26, 2015
Visit site
I think my S9 (bought in June) is going through power too fast. Its been off the charger for 1 hour 13 minutes with no action (screen off, no calls, etc) and I am down to 95% according to GSAM battery monitor.

The other day I went to a car show outdoors. I started with 100% and the phone shut off with 5% or less after less than 3 hours. The only app being used was the camera (Open Camera app) and gallery. And of course the screen was mostly on. Is 2.5 hours normal in that scenario?

I notice that even when I don't take pictures it still doesn't seem to be as good as my old LG G4 and its supposed to have such a great processor and more efficient.

Is this normal?

Hermes Hidayat

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I think my S9 (bought in June) is going through power too fast. Its been off the charger for 1 hour 13 minutes with no action (screen off, no calls, etc) and I am down to 95% according to GSAM battery monitor.

The other day I went to a car show outdoors. I started with 100% and the phone shut off with 5% or less after less than 3 hours. The only app being used was the camera (Open Camera app) and gallery. And of course the screen was mostly on. Is 2.5 hours normal in that scenario?

I notice that even when I don't take pictures it still doesn't seem to be as good as my old LG G4 and its supposed to have such a great processor and more efficient.

Is this normal?

How is your phone signal?

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
One thing you can change is your location accuracy. Go to settings, connection. Under Location, select battery saving.

My AT&T Note 9 has a habit of changing the setting back to high accuracy and I can always tell when it's done this.

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
Open Settings, Device maintenance, Select Battery, then select Battery Usage. Look at the list and see what is using the juice. Something is amiss for sure.

Hermes Hidayat

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
One thing you can change is your location accuracy. Go to settings, connection. Under Location, select battery saving.

My AT&T Note 9 has a habit of changing the setting back to high accuracy and I can always tell when it's done this.

From my personal experience. High doesnt drain much juice. But Bluetooth Scanning does. Its located at Improve Accuracy.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181015-080659_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20181015-080659_Settings.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 58

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
Did I hit the trifecta? My S7, S8 Active and S9 plus all give me at least 36 hours.
To be fair, so does my apple.
It's all about configuration after purchase and not installing garbage which you allow to turn on GPS, BT, and WiFi radio.

Bruce_205

Jun 26, 2015
Visit site
Ok, I just looked at "improve accuracy" and Bluetooth was checked. I turned it off. Wifi scanning is on though along with high accuracy. How does wifi improve location accuracy?

Under apps I can't see anymore what was active yesterday when I had the huge battery drain but today it does not look too bad. I am 6 hours 19 min into my battery use for today and at 67% with the most use being screen and Chrome. The bloat ware apps barely register, like 0.01%.

I just noticed I am not using wifi here at work today. Maybe wifi sucks a lot of power?

Hermes Hidayat

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Ok, I just looked at "improve accuracy" and Bluetooth was checked. I turned it off. Wifi scanning is on though along with high accuracy. How does wifi improve location accuracy?

Under apps I can't see anymore what was active yesterday when I had the huge battery drain but today it does not look too bad. I am 6 hours 19 min into my battery use for today and at 67% with the most use being screen and Chrome. The bloat ware apps barely register, like 0.01%.

I just noticed I am not using wifi here at work today. Maybe wifi sucks a lot of power?

Having Wifi Scanning on is no harm. As some apps require it on to get better accuracy such as Google Maps. But if you do not use Google Maps you can turn it off too.

And if im not wrong.Wifi Scanning is like background searching of wifi spots to help assist location.

Hermes Hidayat

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Did I hit the trifecta? My S7, S8 Active and S9 plus all give me at least 36 hours.
It's all about configuration after purchase and not installing garbage which you allow to turn on GPS, BT, and WiFi radio.

My biggest Garbage is Instagram... Instagram has crazy background stuff and it takes a lot of juice. Turning off background activity however makes Instagram less hungry for juice.

Bruce_205

Jun 26, 2015
Visit site

I have "Keep mobile data turned on" selected under Developer Options. I wish Samsung would not have removed the shortcut icon mobile data switch so I could quickly turn it on if I need it. When I first got the phone I read how to get it back, there was something about editing an xml file that has the shortcuts, but I forgot how. The shortcut got deleted probably when I got a system update.

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
I have "Keep mobile data turned on" selected under Developer Options. I wish Samsung would not have removed the shortcut icon mobile data switch so I could quickly turn it on if I need it. When I first got the phone I read how to get it back, there was something about editing an xml file that has the shortcuts, but I forgot how. The shortcut got deleted probably when I got a system update.
Go to Settings, Connections, Data Usage, and you can toggle it on or off there. 3 clicks.

Hermes Hidayat

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

Erm... There's a shortcut

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181015-103950_Nova Launcher.jpg
    Screenshot_20181015-103950_Nova Launcher.jpg
    318 KB · Views: 36
  • Screenshot_20181015-103956_Nova Launcher.jpg
    Screenshot_20181015-103956_Nova Launcher.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 35
  • 20181015_112355.jpg
    20181015_112355.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
That's the shortcut I was talking about. I do not have that on my S9. How do I get it back?

When you pull down to see all of the button shortcuts like in the screen shot above, tap the 3 dots in the top right and adjust your button layout. You can pick and choose which short cuts you want, mobile data might just be disabled.

Bruce_205

Jun 26, 2015
Visit site
I got it. It was not a simple button order. Apparently on the AT&T version they actually leave it out. I got it back by typing a command in the adb shell. So now I'm going to switch off "keep mobile data on".

For today I'm at 48% remain after 11 hours including 2.5 hours screen on time.

Hermes Hidayat

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I got it. It was not a simple button order. Apparently on the AT&T version they actually leave it out. I got it back by typing a command in the adb shell. So now I'm going to switch off "keep mobile data on".

For today I'm at 48% remain after 11 hours including 2.5 hours screen on time.

Wow... A&T locked the option?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463