Battery life stinks.

cajunrph

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm sure bxactions has been updated since I tried it but I uninstalled it right away because it massively killed my battery.
After disabling it it's using zero battery since the last charge.

On that subject I have 15% battery life left with just over 4 hours off the charger.
c05e5c81c05316b385ca4a9c77321e54.jpg

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
With my last bunch of phones I've generally ended up in the 50-60% range after a 10h shift in the ER. With my S9+ I routinely end up at 40% or below with pretty much the same apps, location and use

bxrider117

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
I have the S9+, Snapdragon version on Verizon. I'm currently running the latest beta of Android 9.0 and my battery life has been really good. This is from today.

The other photo is from yesterday.

Attachments

• 7986.jpg
    7986.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 99

Emily 1

Feb 7, 2017
Visit site
OP are you using a Exynos model? Those are known to have worse battery life than the Snapdragon models, although yours seems truly bad.

Hopefully you figure out something that is causing the issues. My phone has had fantastic battery life, but it seems hit or miss with users of this phone. I see plenty of others who get worse battery stats than me, even having the S9+ (I'm just using the S9).

cajunrph

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
Nope. Unlocked US model from Amazon. So far it's getting worse.

What kind of battery life do you get?

OP are you using a Exynos model? Those are known to have worse battery life than the Snapdragon models, although yours seems truly bad.

Hopefully you figure out something that is causing the issues. My phone has had fantastic battery life, but it seems hit or miss with users of this phone. I see plenty of others who get worse battery stats than me, even having the S9+ (I'm just using the S9).

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site

Actually even for an Exynos model that's horrendous. I have Exynos and I according to Accubattery I get twice that time on 3h30m screen on.
The only reason I can see for the bad battery in his latest post is the bad signal. There's practially zero on the bar.

cajunrph

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
Actually even for an Exynos model that's horrendous. I have Exynos and I according to Accubattery I get twice that time on 3h30m screen on.
The only reason I can see for the bad battery in his latest post is the bad signal. There's practially zero on the bar.
That was in the middle of my house. Dead zone. Although I was connected to WiFi calling. I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not. Poor signal shouldn't cause that much of an issue. I've had other phones that didn't drain like this one does.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
That was in the middle of my house. Dead zone. Although I was connected to WiFi calling. I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not. Poor signal shouldn't cause that much of an issue. I've had other phones that didn't drain like this one does.
Actually poor signal does do A LOT of battery drain and it SHOULD cause that much of an issue. It is known to be one of the biggest causes of battery drain. This antennas are designed to try to query as much for a signal as possible especially since AFAIK you're in the US and they're killing GSM there. 4G/LTE uses A LOT of battery at low signals. Phones are supposed to let go of 4G and fall back to GSM connections in low signal cases just because of this specific battery consumption problem. If your older phones were able to fall back on GSM they won't be killing thr batteries.

cajunrph

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
Actually poor signal does do A LOT of battery drain and it SHOULD cause that much of an issue. It is known to be one of the biggest causes of battery drain. This antennas are designed to try to query as much for a signal as possible especially since AFAIK you're in the US and they're killing GSM there. 4G/LTE uses A LOT of battery at low signals. Phones are supposed to let go of 4G and fall back to GSM connections in low signal cases just because of this specific battery consumption problem. If your older phones were able to fall back on GSM they won't be killing thr batteries.
iPhone 8s and now a OnePlus 6T in the same setting lasted me much longer. The iPhone would last almost to 5 or 6 pm daily. This the 6T is trending to last till after midnight.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
iPhone 8s and now a OnePlus 6T in the same setting lasted me much longer. The iPhone would last almost to 5 or 6 pm daily. This the 6T is trending to last till after midnight.

If those phones are falling back to GSM and there is GSM signals in the area, then they'll save battery.O know for certain iPhones still have the GSM antenna. Not so sure about the 6T, but the 6T does have versions with GSM capabilities. Have you checked your S9 if it has the correct GSM capabiltiies for your area?

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
We could also do a little experiment. You have WiFi, and your calls go through WiFi, so set the phone to airplane mode with WiFi active and see if battery gets better.

cajunrph

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
If those phones are falling back to GSM and there is GSM signals in the area, then they'll save battery.O know for certain iPhones still have the GSM antenna. Not so sure about the 6T, but the 6T does have versions with GSM capabilities. Have you checked your S9 if it has the correct GSM capabiltiies for your area?
The S9 is an unlocked US phone from Amazon. I checked the website and it said it will work on GSM and LTE networks of T-Mobile. I checked the specs and it does have the GSM radios that T-Mobile uses. Besides if the cell radio was draining the battery shouldn't it show up on the graph? When it did show it was around 1%. And the 6T is a world phone out lasting the S9 easily. Sitting at 41% now with 11 hours since coming off the charger.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
The S9 is an unlocked US phone from Amazon. I checked the website and it said it will work on GSM and LTE networks of T-Mobile. I checked the specs and it does have the GSM radios that T-Mobile uses. Besides if the cell radio was draining the battery shouldn't it show up on the graph? When it did show it was around 1%. And the 6T is a world phone out lasting the S9 easily. Sitting at 41% now with 11 hours since coming off the charger.

In any case, the 6T SHOULD outlast the S9 easily. It has a larger battery (3700mah vs 3000mah). But what we have so far established is that your S9 is having battery problems. You have an unlocked US Phone which has a SnapDragon 845, which should mean that your phone should have been lasting longer than my own Exynos version which has a known kernel scheduler issue causing decreased battery life for it compared to the SnapDragon version, and yet I'm lasting 13hrs standby on 3h30min screen on time. You should have been seeing something like 17hrs on the same screen on time.

Anyway, it shouldn't hurt to do the little experiment I suggested. It could point out that there might be a problem hardware wise on your phone and you could want to ask for an exchange.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
The effect on battery as a result of poor quality cellular signal is known but isn't going to show up in battery stats.

Using wifi calling instead is one way to alleviate and tell you.

Q: you are using a sim you've had from before. Is it possible it is an issue?

Net_Surfer

Apr 2, 2016
Visit site
I am reading this and I am shocked at the battery life that the gentleman that started the post is getting. Now I am a heavy user of this phone. I am talking notifications from Facebook, Messenger, Instagram, Snapchat(although not much), CNN, Twitter, The Score, TSN, Sportsnet, Tumblr etc.
I take my phone off charge at between 6:30am and 6:45am and leave home at 7:30am. When I get to work at near 8:15am I am at 95%. And that is with all the notifications plus a daily phone call from my Mom that last 10-15 minutes!!! By the time noon hits, I am at or near 80%! By the time I am ready to go home at 5:00pm the charge is at 65%!!! So the battery life on this phone is damn good and in fact the best I have experienced on any Android phone!!!

hellosailor

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
I can still make the battery scream and moan in agony if I'm really USING the phone, but there's nothing really any better or different. Of course when engineers built cell phones...My Startac had a front battery back, plus a hook for a rear auxiliary pack that tripled the life. And if I kept a few spare packs (including one took AAA cells) I could use the phone for a long weekend without ever needing to charge it. Just slap on a new outboard battery. There's no reason phones can't do that today, except the marketing folks. You have to order a "battery case" to perform the same old trick, and most of those are way over-rated. But I've got one. It makes me phone twice as thick, yes, but it also more than doubles the run time, whatever that will be.
In storm season I've done a week without AC power, battery banks are just a fact of life.

cdigga101

Jun 27, 2015
Visit site
I think gsm technology does generally better battery life than cdma technology. I've jumped between using att and Sprint since the Nexus 5 days. And from my experience, I'd get a bit longer battery life on att than when I was on Sprint. I've had TMobile as well. Never had Verizon. I would guess gsm is passive in maintaining a signal whereas cdma is more agressive. Keep in mind I live in a city where all 4 major carriers have decent coverage, no gaps. So the cell signal no matter the carrier is pretty average.

hellosailor

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
I don't think the protocol in use (GSM, CDMA2000, etc.) makes the great difference. Bear in mind that the early cell phones used to chatter constantly, and always went to 100% power if they couldn't reach a tower. And then continued to run at 100% power seeking one. Someone (Nokia?) made big news when they attacked that in software, programming their phones to seek a tower--and if it couldn't find one in xx minutes, go silent for xx more minutes, then retry, then go silent, then retry at increasingly lower power levels.

That kind of programming can be built into a phone by the phone maker, by default. It can be programmed into the OS, although I don't know if it is. It can also be changed, like everything else, at carrier request.

So you've got three entities that all have a major say in how much power your phone is going to use, without even considering the protocol it connects with.

Then there are the phones programmed (like Google Fi and T-Mobile's new plans) to always seek WiFi before turning on the cellular radio and connecting by cell. And even more that are programmed to use 3G instead of LTE (4G doesn't really exist in the US, it just means "3G with high speed backbone" which is still 3G in the phone) depending on how busy the service is, which type of signal is coming in stronger, and what priority you have.

There's a lot that can be done invisibly in software, and you and I as end users will pretty much never find out about it until long after, when and if someone happens to blab about it, or some historical data is released. The carriers all consider this to be a matter of trade secrets, which isn't entirely wrong.

("Where's my spare tire?" Sorry, that's a trade secret, you'll have to bring the car in for service. (sigh)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20