Bluetooth connection in car keeps failing

NIUHuskie

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Hey everyone,

I've scoured the forums looking for a solution to this issue and haven't been able to find one. I'm using a Verizon Galaxy S9+ and driving a 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe. My issue is that the Bluetooth connection is constantly turning on and off in the car. I see the notification on the screen in the dash as it disconnects and then reconnects. Now even more recently the car will say it's connected to Bluetooth but when I receive or make a phone call it doesn't work. Often it'll say "Dialing failed. Check your phone" on the car screen. The phone has often started dialing the number, but the audio isn't connected to the car.

I can't even determine if this is a head unit issue or a phone issue at this point. Often if I reboot the phone, or unpair and re-pair BT the problem will go away briefly, but it always comes back. I looked into issues regarding BT codec defaults but that doesn't seem to be the problem. Anyone have any ideas at all?

Thanks in advance!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately there's no easy way to troubleshoot this. The usual things to try are these:
1) Check your car with another phone. If that works without a hiccup, chances are the problem is either with your phone or with point number 2. But if it also fails, then your car's BT equipment might need repair.
2) See if there's an update for your car unit. Sometimes some manufacturers need to update their system for some phones to work properly (and yes, Samsung units seem to be particularly tricky sometimes)
3) Test with other BT connections. Does your phone work with another car or BT headphones? If it exhibits the same behavior, then it's probably a bad radio on your phone.
4) Make sure there are no bulky cases or metal plates that could be interfering with the signal. Try it caseless if you're using one and see if that helps.
5) Rule out radio interference by turning off NFC and WiFi. Does it work that way? If so, it's still a problem with your phone, but at least it's narrowed down to cross-talk.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adelinachau53674