USB connection between S9 Plus and Dell Inspiron Windows 10 not working

gnGracie

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I have the S9 Plus and a Dell Inspiron laptop with Windows 10 and connectivity is sporadic at best, and nonexistent at worst. How can I fix this so that my phone connects to my laptop?

TIA

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If it's intermittent when you wiggle the end at the phone, the port in the phone might be loose. They should replace the phone for that (unless your carrier does real board-level repairs). If it's intermittent at the computer end, try a different USB port.

In either case, it could also be a bad cable. (And, no, for file transfer - I'm assuming that you have the phone set for file transfer or MTP when this happens - you don't need the driver - the phone acts as a thumb drive, and the computer can handle that without a driver. If you're trying to run adb you'd need a driver, but it would either work or not, it wouldn't be intermittent.)

gnGracie

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Thank you both for your responses. I finally switched USB ports (even though I've always used this particular port for my phone), and it connected without any problem at all.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Now throw that other cord away, so you don't have to wonder which the bad one is. (Good braided USB cables are cheap - you can buy a set of 3 or 4 for about $10.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463