My phone sounds the notification tone, but when I take it off the charging stand and unlock it, there's no notification on screen or on the icon bar. No sign of why it went bingbong. No messages, no hiya, no calendar event, fully charged hours before. This has happened at 3am, 3.30, 8.35, 10.30, all sorts of random times between midnight and noon, just once on any given day, not every day.
    Glasswire shows no activity either. Latest OTA system. Any ideas how to stop this, short of a bigger hammer?
    12-15-2018 08:06 PM
    A bigger search to find out what's doing it.
    12-16-2018 05:06 PM
    Bigger search? Spent a couple of hours, went through literally every menu, even the ones that "couldn't" have anything to do with it. This has the smell of a Samdung quirk. The way that some of their devices used to light up and go BING! at 3am to let you know they were fully charged and should be unplugged--regardless of how they had been set. (The only way around that, was to power them down. And as I told the nice lady with carrier support, if I wanted to turn it off, well, then I didn't really see the point in having a phone if it was going to be OFF, did I?)

Besides, isn't everything that sends a notification, supposed to leave some notice of WHAT THAT WAS? Either a number on an icon, or a message in the title bar, or...there's always SOMETHING besides the phone just going BINGBONG!

The lack of event logs or system logs doesn't help. Or is there a developer's option buried down there that will do such granular logging? (Fully factory unlocked phone, but I recall something told me to turn off the developer's options coupla months ago.)
    12-16-2018 05:28 PM
    DND works. As do rules for exceptions.

I dont allow notifications when DND is on.

You want t ok be more specific? An app and instance? Or allow notifications on lock screen. AOD enabled it sounds like.

What you might want to try are iOS style notifications. Maybe a different launcher. Were a month out from when Pie rolls out also.
    12-16-2018 05:35 PM
    Appreciate the ideas but the simple ones won't be possible here.

I can't simply block notifications when DND is enabled, because I have DND enabled "except for contacts" all the time. That is literally necessary because of the volume of telemarketers and spam calls I've been barraged with. (Yes, they get past everything else.)

"Or allow notifications on lock screen. " Similarly, I have to allow notifications on lock screen. The phone is (required) to be locked & secured at all times unless I am using it.

AOD? What's that?

"What you might want to try are iOS style notifications." Is that something that can be done without modding the phone? These sound more like hacks than settings? I'm not sure when Pie will actually deploy, remember Samdung and the carriers all have to test it and bless it, that's two levels of delays before the OTA updates go out. I'd like to get some uninterrupted sleep in the months, plural, until we see that.
    12-16-2018 05:48 PM
    AOD is the Always On Display.
    12-16-2018 06:52 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Does this persist if you turn off NFC?
    12-16-2018 07:02 PM
    I don't understand: What does having AOD enabled (and seeing the faint clock crawling all the time) have to do with receiving random notifications? And note, it is never more than one per day, they don't just keep happening all day.

Diddy-
    What makes you think NFC would have anything to do with this? The phone isn't anywhere near an NFC tag or device, if that makes a difference. And NFC has been off. Still curious to know why NFC should make random notifications in the absence of any NFC input.
    12-16-2018 07:15 PM
    It's pretty common for people to use a wallet-style case, with pockets in the back for credit cards and other kinds of ID cards. If a card has an NFC chip in it (which is becoming increasingly common), that can set off a notification on the phone when it detects the chip. The NFC tone is usually distinctive, though -- kind of a "doodlydoodlydoodly" sound (Ned Flanders would approve).
    12-16-2018 09:03 PM
    Oh, I see. Maybe I was unclear, but when I said "when I take it off the charging stand and unlock it, there's no notification on screen or on the icon bar." that's the tip off "take it off the charging stand" it is not in my wallet pocket, it is not near a cash register or someone else's random NFC tags.

That's why I couldn't figure out why you're suspecting NFC. The phone is sitting in the Qi charging cradle, on a table, hasn't been touched or moved in HOURS when this happens. No outside stimulus, unless it is being transmitted to the phone (i.e. telemarketers, calls, data push) or being generated BY the phone.

And my butt isn't agile enough to butt dial from that distance, either.(G)
    12-16-2018 09:58 PM
    Hiya was just updated to address issue of calls that spoof your area code + exchanges getting through.
    12-17-2018 05:38 AM
    Oh, I see. Maybe I was unclear, but when I said "when I take it off the charging stand and unlock it, there's no notification on screen or on the icon bar." that's the tip off "take it off the charging stand" it is not in my wallet pocket, it is not near a cash register or someone else's random NFC tags.
    Maybe I was unclear as well. I was talking about a wallet-type case for the phone -- the type that has slots in the back of the case for credit cards. I was not talking having your phone in your pocket that also happens to contain your wallet. So it's entirely conceivable that a person who had this type of case might also have NFC-containing cards in the case, and could also set that phone on a charging stand. But it's clear now that this isn't what's going on, so I'll wish you luck in finding the culprit!
    12-17-2018 12:52 PM
    Gayle-
    Hiya didn't seem to say anything about that. Is that just a programming change or do they expect the user to change something?

Diddy-
    Thanks for explaining that. I've had so much fun simply trying to figure out which terminals need to be swiped versus inserted (and the inserts aren't always working so simply seeing one doesn't help) and all the varying "touch" systems and conflicting options, that I just haven't used any of the pay systems. I could be handy, but until "they" all get it together so I can use one software and one device and not have to worry about which works where....Nope.
    12-17-2018 01:06 PM
    Hiya updated the iOS version to deal with spoofed local calls. And beta Android.

Think they need an update for Pie as well.
    12-17-2018 03:03 PM