Battery drain with WiFi and Cellular

THEPRFCT10

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
I know it's a known fact that poor and very poor Cellular signal and reception leads to increased battery drain. My question is for those smarter than me: if we're on WiFi in a location with poor or very poor Cellular signal and reception, does that battery drain still occur? I want to think no but I'm not sure. Thanks in advance.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Yes, the battery will still drain if there is poor cellular signal, unless you remove the SIM and use the device as a data-only device via the WiFi without any phone capability. Or the other option is to put the device in airplane mode and then turn on WiFi, which will disable the cellular service.

THEPRFCT10

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
your answer has actually makes me feel better because I'm in a location with extremely poor cellular signal and my battery drain has been outrageous thank you for your explanation
Yes, the battery will still drain if there is poor cellular signal, unless you remove the SIM and use the device as a data-only device via the WiFi without any phone capability. Or the other option is to put the device in airplane mode and then turn on WiFi, which will disable the cellular service.