I stumbled on this very great article here explaining where to buy Unlocked Samsung S9 phones in the USA.
    https://www.androidcentral.com/where...xy-s9-unlocked

However, a few questions which is kind of bit not clear to me.

Suppose I walk into Best Buy and purchase an Unlocked S9 phone.
    My question is, will Best Buy provide me with a SIM card to use, or will I need to obtain a SIM card from a carrier of my choice?

Second question, the article refers to Activating the phone. Does that mean once I obtain a SIM from a carrier, is that when I need to activate the phone?

That part I don't really understand.

Thanks!
    12-18-2018 12:55 PM
    1. You always get the SIM card from the carrier (in the US - some carriers in other countries may use the card that comes wih the phone).

2. Activating the phone is basically getting an account with a carrier or MVNO - then they give (most of them) or send (a few MVNOs) you the SIM.

Setting the phone up is different - you can do that using Wifi before you have a SIM or an account. (Your name, your Google account, etc.)
    12-18-2018 01:15 PM
    Another question, sort of unrelated. Just a general question.

When buying an S9 phone (Unlocked), from the US, does the phone need to be Region Unlocked to use it globally?

Is the Region Unlock only needed when buying an S9 from other countries such as Europe in order for the phone to be used in the US?

Thanks for the quick precise responses!
    12-19-2018 01:40 AM
    Best Buy and other stores can sell you a SIM starter kit with a sim and one month of service and activation fee to get the unlocked unit going with whatever carrier you want
    12-19-2018 07:47 PM
    If your current phone is also using a nano sim, you just put that in the unlocked S9 or any unlocked phone for that matter assuming it has the right bands to work with your carrier. There is no need to get a new sim from the carrier every time you buy a phone.
    mary beth hale likes this.
    12-19-2018 11:53 PM
    Of you are buying it unlocked snapdragon from usa then before buying i want to tell you that samsung CSC restriction is so strong you won't be able to use this phone for volte in other countries, it strictly enforces USA CSC....

Think before you buy, other than above negative it a very good mobile.

Don't buy if you travel for longer durations outside USA or resident of other cointry
    daswooski likes this.
    12-23-2018 02:03 PM
    Of you are buying it unlocked snapdragon from usa then before buying i want to tell you that samsung CSC restriction is so strong you won't be able to use this phone for volte in other countries, it strictly enforces USA CSC....

Don't buy if you travel for longer durations outside USA or resident of other cointry
    Great advice! Also, I do not think it works with AT&T WiFi calling. T-mo and Verizon are okay. Shame as it should work with all 3
    12-23-2018 02:12 PM

?
    daswooski likes this.
    12-25-2018 04:24 PM