Will you update to S10?

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
Chasing after 5G isn't advised right now. Let the hardware mature while the providers continue to build out the infrastructure.

You'd be wasting your money doing 5G right now without a very specific and clearly defined need.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
The S10 will not be a foldable device. 5G isn't the main draw to the s10. The improved screen, the multiple camera's, the 3 different versions, in screen fingerprint, etc is.

Larry 609

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
I have the S9+ and plan to hold onto it a bit longer, although I can always reverse course if the S10s are quite a jump for the better. But getting a new phone every two years has usually been my M.O. for awhile. So unless the phone starts acting up or becomes significantly less usable, I plan on holding onto it a bit longer!

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
That's one reason I got the 9+. Bigger battery. I was coming off phones with OK life, and wanted more.

I will be disappointed if the chart I linked to ends up missing out on important things like battery size and RAM size. If they make the plain S10 have a smaller battery than the larger S10+, that would change my mind.

I don't want a bigger screen. Screen size has gotten stupid lately.

My son has a Sony XPeria, the flagship model--but it's a small size. I'm intrigued.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Guys, Galaxy S9 series have been great.
Now Samsung S10 series are coming, how many will you update? why?

And how many will keep the s9? why?

I'm not sure. I have heard some jaw-dropping prices. and I'm not doing anything until it is a 5G phone, and 5g actually seems to work. 5g is a deal maker for me.

(Then, I wonder what the carrier price uptick will be for that. That may take an extra year or two to work itself out as well.)

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
2 reasons not to get the Samsung Foldable:

1. It will be first-generation, so there are going to be major issues with it.
  2. The projected price will be at least US$1700-1800. If you must get a foldable, I'd wait & see how the competition is priced.

If that is the price, they can really keep it. 😎

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm considering upgrading to the S10 if the phone looks like the renderings I've seen online. Price is also a big factor with me. Otherwise, I'll keep my current phone and wait for the next one that comes down the line!

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
I'm not sure. I have heard some jaw-dropping prices. and I'm not doing anything until it is a 5G phone, and 5g actually seems to work. 5g is a deal maker for me.

5G won't roll out significantly for a long time. The odds are very strong that you'll upgrade your phone well before you have 5G service.

Plus, I can see it now. "Oh, sure, we had the initial 5G when you bought your S10. But now you need the S10a to get access to 5G+, which is what we wanted to roll out anyway but didn't. That'll be another $1000 please."

If 5G is a deal breaker, just go to AT&T right now. They're happy to put a "5Ge" ("5G Evolution" (TM)) label on your phone to make you happy, while they continue to deliver 4G technologies. Yes, they've trademarked "5G Evolution" just for this purpose. That's how the industry is abusing these terms for marketing purposes.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/7/18173215/tmobile-att-fake-5g-network-troll-9g-iphone

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
5G won't roll out significantly for a long time. The odds are very strong that you'll upgrade your phone well before you have 5G service.

Plus, I can see it now. "Oh, sure, we had the initial 5G when you bought your S10. But now you need the S10a to get access to 5G+, which is what we wanted to roll out anyway but didn't. That'll be another $1000 please."

I confess that thought occurred to me, too. Buying the first gen is always dangerous and may raise some compatibility issues. It is all too likely a scenario. Plus, I travel abroad a lot. It has to work there, too. That may raise additional issues. It may take a couple of years for that to sort itself out.

OTOH, I can't see dropping some sum like we're talking about for a 10+ or Note 10, whatever, and then doing it again the following year. I feel no burning urgency to upgrade for any other reason. It feels like we're going through some seismic change. They are always a combo of fun and scary. I'd like to see what the market looks like at the end of 2019. You may be right that is not nearly long enough.

barbarianthemadserb

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
If the S10 is as great as they say, then yep, I will get an S10+ to either activate or keep as backup to my GS9 phones. lol. I have more phones than fingers or sense. lol. I just love all these hi tech gadgets that come out every year. I am retired and phones are just one of my many passions.

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Giving serious consideration to moving away from Samsung this year. I'm considering the S10+ but am also looking at the One plus 7. Will wait a few months to see what is out or about to come out and will decide tgen.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
Giving serious consideration to moving away from Samsung this year. I'm considering the S10+ but am also looking at the One plus 7. Will wait a few months to see what is out or about to come out and will decide tgen.
Especially if the leaks of the OnePlus 7 are real. Decisions decisions.

Umbrokhan

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
I think of moving to Huawei P30 Pro or Huawei Mate 30 Pro got lastest and better hardware.
Face unlock and finger print scanner is more accurate and more reliable.

New Samsung phones don't support 3rd party fast charging

mgloss

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
I'll be getting an S10+, because I like shiny new things, and I have a plan with my carrier where you can upgrade after having paid off 50% (12 payments) of the price of your phone, with no down payment.

You do have to turn in your current phone, though.
Same here!

scottbeamer

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
... New Samsung phones don't support 3rd party fast charging

Depends on the charger. The charger from my previous phone (LG V20) is Quick Charge 3.0, and my S9+ fast charges when connected to it.

On the other hand, the Aukey QC 3.0 car charger I had wouldn't fast charge my S9+ at all.

X1tymez

Q&A Team
Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
I'll go with 10 lite. Missing flat screen since they moved to curve. On other hand, less stressed on finding right screen protector hahaha