09-05-2019 03:40 AM
29 12
tools
    Hey all,
    My phone updated today and ever since I cannot move past the initial lock screen. When unlocked, the UI appears to crash and send me back to the lock screen. A video of this can be found here:

I have tried the standard fixes like wiping the cache partition and booting into safe mode, but these don't seem to make any difference.

The phone is running PPR1.180610.011/G965FXXU2CSA8

On the phones internal memory is a bunch of photos from a recent trip to Japan, I'm a fool for not backing these up sooner but I would hate to lose them.

Has anybody experienced anything like this before, and is there any way for me to get back into the phone, or atleast recover the photos that I took?

Thanks!
    01-27-2019 09:59 AM
    go to find my mobile Samsung.com
    log into your account used for that phone then gives u ability to unlock your device
    01-27-2019 11:08 AM
    go to find my mobile Samsung.com
    log into your account used for that phone then gives u ability to unlock your device
    Screen shot
    Attached Thumbnails S9+ Fails to Unlock After Latest Pie OTA Update-1633.jpg  
    01-27-2019 11:09 AM
    and you can back up your device
    01-27-2019 11:11 AM
    Thanks for the advice mustang, unfortunately I never logged into my Samsung account on the device. I only recently got it and never bothered setting up any of the Samsung apps so this isn't an option for me. I have tried the same using the Google Find My Phone feature as I am logged into my Google account but the latest version doesn't have the option to unlock.
    01-27-2019 12:13 PM
    Thanks for the advice mustang, unfortunately I never logged into my Samsung account on the device. I only recently got it and never bothered setting up any of the Samsung apps so this isn't an option for me. I have tried the same using the Google Find My Phone feature as I am logged into my Google account but the latest version doesn't have the option to unlock.
    No problem..
    You have a big issue now , your not signed into your Samsung account.
    My only other advice is check XDA for advice see if your to extract your photos before a factory reset is done maybe they can help.
    01-27-2019 12:29 PM
    Ah good idea, I never thought to try there. It does look like I am going to have to do something exceptional to try and recover them. I am not too familiar with flashing OS upgrades/downgrades to the phone, but at a glance it doesn't seem possible without wiping all user data.

Thanks again!
    01-27-2019 12:41 PM
    this isnt a US phone is it?
    01-27-2019 12:50 PM
    I don't believe so, model number is SM-G965F, so it should be ROW with an Exynos Processor.
    01-27-2019 01:38 PM
    I hope you had some sort of backup enabled, like Google.
    01-27-2019 03:05 PM
    have you tried connecting the phone to your pc to copy the photos?
    01-27-2019 03:33 PM
    Google backup was enabled, but unfortunately not in the Photos app. I have tried connecting to PC, but without unlocking I am unable to allow access to any of the files on the phone.
    01-27-2019 03:39 PM
    it looks like the samsung launcher is crashing.
    try this: log on to your google account on your pc and go to https://play.google.com/store and install a launcher like nova or apex.
    playstore will ask you what device you want the app installed on and you chose your phone.
    the app will be installed on your phone. then after you enter the pin on your lock screen quickly press the home button and it will ask you what launcher you want to use and then chose the launcher you installed from playstore.
    01-27-2019 03:48 PM
    Very nice idea, I gave it a go with Nova but the home button, along with everything else it seems, is completely unresponsive immediately after putting my pin in.
    01-27-2019 04:02 PM
    ok try restarting the phone. that might trigger the default launcher question popup.
    if not you can try installing smart switch on your pc and do an emergency firmware recovery but that might wipe the phone... i don't know.
    01-27-2019 04:10 PM
    Thanks for your efforts luclanus, still no ball with the launcher even after a restart and SmartSwitch requires my phone to be unlocked while connected to do anything. I could try connecting to smartswitch in download mode, but I assume flashing any new firmware would delete all user data.
    01-27-2019 04:44 PM
    i see you have the phone and camera apps on the lock screen. have you tried opening them?
    01-27-2019 05:04 PM
    Yeah, camera application opens and works, though trying to access the gallery, Bixby Vision or any other unlock-only features yields the same issue. Contacts is inaccessible without unlocking.

Currently I am looking at the possibility of sideloading an OTA update using adb and recovery mode, but because I assume this is the latest update causing the issue, I can't find any succeeding ones available. I can't even find the files for this update anywhere online.
    01-27-2019 05:15 PM
    you can find the firmware on sammobile.com but i think flashing that will wipe the phone.
    01-27-2019 05:55 PM
    you will wipe the device if you flash or sideload
    01-27-2019 05:59 PM
    Thanks for the heads up guys. I know a firmware flash would definately wipe the device but I was thinking only sideloading an OTA update. This should retain all data and simply act as if the phone had updated as normal using OTA. The issue I am having with this at the moment is that I assume the update that broke the phone is the latest update (G965FXXU2CSA8) and I am unable to find the OTA files for this or any subsequent updates online. I figure if I can find either the G965FXXU2CSA8 update file or G965FXXU2CSA9 update files if they exist, I can try updating the phone again and perhaps it will fix whatever issue is causing the UI to crash.

An article detailing this method can be found here: https://www.theandroidsoul.com/how-t...-adb-sideload/

An example of the files I am talking about can be found here: https://www.thecustomdroid.com/insta...xy-s9-s9-plus/

Unfortunately the files in the above link are incompatible with the firmware version I am using.

Even if I do find a compatible OTA files and do this, there is definately no guarentee it will work, and could potentially worsen the problem.
    01-27-2019 06:52 PM
    if you can get into settings, then you can switch it from lock screen to go straight to the main screen
    01-27-2019 07:13 PM
    Hey guys, just to update. I have tried flashing multiple version of Pie using ODIN, using the HOME_CSC file to keep user data intact. Unfortunately none of them worked. I am now looking at trying to downgrade to Oreo while retaining user data, which seems like a very risky prospect.
    01-28-2019 03:06 PM
    To give a final update on this. I attempted the Oreo downgrade, upon reboot the phone was stuck in a bootloop so I updated to Pie again. When the phone booted I tried the pin code as quickly as I could, and after some glitchy graphics on the screen it unlocked. From here I turn on the stay awake while plugged in feature in the developer options and managed to transfer all my data over to PC.

I don't believe it was the firmware changes that actually made any difference, because any further attempts to put my pin in, to remove the pin code for example, failed and cause the same crashing behaviour.

All data is recovered, I have factory reset the phone and all appears to be behaving as normal again. If anybody stumbles upon this with the same issue, all hope is not lost, but unfortunately I was unable to determine a realiable way to overcome it. It seems in this case it was just dumb luck.

Thanks for the help all.
    01-28-2019 05:30 PM
    To give a final update on this. I attempted the Oreo downgrade, upon reboot the phone was stuck in a bootloop so I updated to Pie again. When the phone booted I tried the pin code as quickly as I could, and after some glitchy graphics on the screen it unlocked. From here I turn on the stay awake while plugged in feature in the developer options and managed to transfer all my data over to PC.

I don't believe it was the firmware changes that actually made any difference, because any further attempts to put my pin in, to remove the pin code for example, failed and cause the same crashing behaviour.

All data is recovered, I have factory reset the phone and all appears to be behaving as normal again. If anybody stumbles upon this with the same issue, all hope is not lost, but unfortunately I was unable to determine a realiable way to overcome it. It seems in this case it was just dumb luck.

Thanks for the help all.
    Glad it worked out..log into Samsung next time lol
    01-28-2019 09:11 PM
29 12