Questions about the new One UI - Pie Update on Samsung s9+

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

#1 How do you hide the navigation bar, and allow it to show up when swiping up from the bottom of the phone like it used to (and no the gestures are unacceptable)? If there is no way, will there possibly be an update to in my opinion "fix" the situation.

#2 When you tap the window button(the button next to the home button) it takes a long time(yes the fraction of a second feels like an eternity) to switch to the window left from the one you are currently using. Is there a way to disable that, so it makes it not only faster but easier to navigate?

#3 When changing volume how do you disable the sound it makes for you to know the current volume? Also how do you add the drop down button like we had before? Using gestures does not make it easier, faster and more intuitive, it even makes one handing the phone a great deal harder which is my guess to why they made so many terrible design choices(imo).

gavo360

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Regarding the navigation bar i dont think you can hide it anymore. Ive been using gestures for a week now and prefer it. Seems a extra step to swipe up to show the navigation bar and then press the back button.

#2 have you turned on reduced animations under advanced features in settings.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
if you go Into settings then display scroll to navigation bar and click off for tips to use navigation buttons ...it will turn it into full gestures nothing showing just swipe where the buttons use to be

Last edited:

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
1. There might be an update. There is word spreading in reddit that someone got a reply about requesting to bring that back.
2. Reduce animations or maybe turn them off altogether in the developer options.
3. Design is a matter of taste. I find gestures easier. Not really sure what you mean by drop down like before. You mean the button to drop everything down? It's gone. And I'm pretty sure it's gone for all of Android. A lot of the things people are complaining about on this OneUI is not Samsung's design but Android itself.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
1. There might be an update. There is word spreading in reddit that someone got a reply about requesting to bring that back.
2. Reduce animations or maybe turn them off altogether in the developer options.
3. Design is a matter of taste. I find gestures easier. Not really sure what you mean by drop down like before. You mean the button to drop everything down? It's gone. And I'm pretty sure it's gone for all of Android. A lot of the things people are complaining about on this OneUI is not Samsung's design but Android itself.

It's both Android/Samsung implemented on one UI

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
It's both Android/Samsung implemented on one UI
Not exactly. It's Samsung if it's a Samsung only thing. But for example if you're complaining on a side scrolling recents view instead of the old rolodex, Samsung isn't the one who made it like that. Google decided it to be like that. So why blame Samsung for Google's design choice. Blame Samsung for something like themes not being compatible with dark mode. Which is pretty annoying actually.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Not exactly. It's Samsung if it's a Samsung only thing. But for example if you're complaining on a side scrolling recents view instead of the old rolodex, Samsung isn't the one who made it like that. Google decided it to be like that. So why blame Samsung for Google's design choice. Blame Samsung for something like themes not being compatible with dark mode. Which is pretty annoying actually.

I agree on scrolling with recent apps , but if you don't like Samsung gestures they implement their way not Android .
I agree with theme's not being compatible with dark theme , maybe update later would fix it.

TDSI

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Just got the update today as well. A few things:
1. As described that when you press and hold the power button until the power menu pops up, then tap the "Screenshot" option. When you do, the power menu will disappear and the screenshot will be taken. My update did not give me this option what so ever. I hold the power button and I get three icons: Power off; Restart; and Emergency Mode. Anyone have the same issue and I'm wondering why this does not have it?
2. Volume Controls do not show up next to the volume rocker? They still show up at the top of the screen.
Still getting used to this........

sknole

Mar 20, 2018
Visit site
Just got the update today as well. A few things:
1. As described that when you press and hold the power button until the power menu pops up, then tap the "Screenshot" option. When you do, the power menu will disappear and the screenshot will be taken. My update did not give me this option what so ever. I hold the power button and I get three icons: Power off; Restart; and Emergency Mode. Anyone have the same issue and I'm wondering why this does not have it?
2. Volume Controls do not show up next to the volume rocker? They still show up at the top of the screen.
Still getting used to this........

Same here. I don’t have that screenshot option nor do I have “app actions”. My update was early afternoon, today. 🤔

masseurca

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Why does the screen go black every minute with just this little lock on the screen? You have to slide to get rid of it, but the timeout is set to 10 minutes. So it should not be doing this. What is that called? And how to turn it off?

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Why does the screen go black every minute with just this little lock on the screen? You have to slide to get rid of it, but the timeout is set to 10 minutes. So it should not be doing this. What is that called? And how to turn it off?
I'm not sure I follow. Are you using it at the time it locks out?

mgloss

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
does anyone know where or how to get the box removed around each app/icon? I know there was an option on the 8.1

waqqas31

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
does anyone know where or how to get the box removed around each app/icon? I know there was an option on the 8.1

If it's the same as In Oreo:

1. Need to be using Samsung Experience as your homescreen or launcher to change this setting.
2. Settings --> Display --> Icon Frames

qz0xr3

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Anyone been able to have their contact information show up when AOD is enabled? This was an issue for me with the beta version, but had hoped it'd be resolved now with the official release.

moz_1983

Feb 1, 2019
Visit site
I'd be grateful for any info on how to alter the viewing settings of 'recent apps'. It looks like Pie has reverted it to side by side (left and right) rather than the apps being stacked behind each other (vertically). I can't find the view settings to change it back. I'd appreciate any help you guys can offer!

TDSI

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Just an observation if anyone has had the same issue since the Pie 9 upgrade. My notification sounds for Text and Email went silent. I tried everything only to figure out that my Gear 3 watch was connected via Bluetooth. Once Bluetooth was turned off or it went into stand alone, the sounds came back. I don't recall this happening before. I guess they figure if you get the notification on your watch (vibrate or sound) it does not need to happen on the phone?

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I'd be grateful for any info on how to alter the viewing settings of 'recent apps'. It looks like Pie has reverted it to side by side (left and right) rather than the apps being stacked behind each other (vertically). I can't find the view settings to change it back. I'd appreciate any help you guys can offer!
There isn't any way. This isn't a Samsung change. Google itself changed it on Android itself. Samsung used to have the Goodlock application to alter stuff like this, but it hasn't yet been updated for Pie. You'll have to wait.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2