I have a Samsung S9. My phone just did a system update and I HATE it. How do I undo it?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I did not want the system update, but my phone did the update anyway. I HATE the updates to the point I don't want to use my phone anymore. How do I undo the update?

LANEWMAN77

Feb 5, 2019
Visit site
I am having issues as well. Phone is running much slower than usual and my banking app WILL NOT work (it's not the app...I checked my husband's iPhone and it works perfectly) This update is absolutely awful...I would like to know how to uninstall too. From what I've searched so far, there isn't a way to uninstall a system update...I hope not tho

Come on Samsung, I thought you were better than this!

Last edited by a moderator:

Nodnerb

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
All android devices are being updated to pie. If you don't like it not much you can do. I use nova launcher so I can make most of the decisions myself about how things look.
Most people like the pie update. What things do you not like? And the banking app is likely the fault of the app developer not updating the app to work with android pie, not samsungs fault.

mary beth hale

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
You cannot roll back. You would have to flash Oreo firmware. I've been using Pie (the update you just got) on the Beta for months and like it a lot. Nodnerb is right about the banking app. Give it a chance. You might want to wipe cache partition. Also watch some videos about the Pie update on Samsung.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
Why would an iOS app (12.2) have any bearing?

Google tightened security, banking apps looking at you BoA) broke but we're updated to work.

Just wait for Android 10 and 11 which make more changes, security, and requirements.

Uninstall/reinstall. That insures it includes the proper code and permissions, assuming it is Pie compliant.

Last edited:

LANEWMAN77

Feb 5, 2019
Visit site
Sorry. I'm a firm believer in "if it's not broke don't fix it" I feel like most of these "updates" are just software engineers justifying their job. I will blame Samsung, I had absolutely no problems until the update...my phone is also very lagging...sorry for the soapbox, I'm so sick of being jerked around by technology

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Always best to do a complete factory reset then set up phone from scratch (no backups) if you want full speed back after a major update.

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
I am having issues as well. Phone is running much slower than usual and my banking app WILL NOT work (it's not the app...I checked my husband's iPhone and it works perfectly)

You do know that your Android app and his iPhone app are completely different things, right? They're not at ALL related.

To say "it's not the app because the iPhone app works fine" doesn't make any sense, right? Two completely different things.

Your bank may need to update their app to work well with Android 9. Not at all uncommon.

Sorry. I'm a firm believer in "if it's not broke don't fix it" I feel like most of these "updates" are just software engineers justifying their job.

Well, yes. I agree.

That all being said: many people reported what you did when they switched to Android 9, and in most if not all cases everything was fixed with a factory reset.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Try wiping the cache partition: https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-37180

Samsung doesn't have the greatest track record when it comes to bug-free system updates. If you want a much smoother update experience, consider a Pixel phone, since the updates are coming direct from Google, without the need for various tweaks and modifications from the manufacturer.

Glen2018

Feb 11, 2018
Visit site
I just updated to Pie on my Samsung S9. A couple of app buttons look a bit different but otherwise I don't really see a difference. Does anyone have a good link to somewhere that explains what's new, if anything is new?

Coloman60

Feb 9, 2019
Visit site
Since the update my phone will not audibly alert me of a text or email if my blue tooth is on. This is a major problem for me!
I have an LG collar style blue tooth so that I don't have to have the bud in my ear all the time. Since I use the phone for work also I'm unaware when a piece of equipment sends a shut down text.

Thomasrope

May 20, 2017
Visit site
I'm liking the update. turned on the new gestures feature, trying to get used to that. my battery life seems to have improved!. All my apps are working fine. I'm happy!

dj74

Nov 22, 2016
Visit site
Battery life seems to have greatly improved but not liking that contact details are that faint that they are practically illegible - is there a fix for this?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I believe that's a theming issue -- the same goes for difficult-to-read text in the Calendar app. Change the theme and see if that helps.

Dooki

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
Battery life seems to have greatly improved but not liking that contact details are that faint that they are practically illegible - is there a fix for this?

Try a different theme. I am using dark mode, stock theme, and they pop.

Oneye

Feb 22, 2019
Visit site
I hate the February 2019 update. I cannot find anything anymore, button icons have been replaced by words (come on Samsung this is going back to the stone age!!!) that I cannot read, I only have one eye and it isn't great. Some words appear in the middle of a full screen - exactly the last place you would expect a button. Underlining a word is hardly better than an icon that disappears. "More Info" is now ridiculous. There are now two or even three levels of questions to make sure that the first time you requested something you really meant it. I could better just hit back if I went wrong. The only time you should double check is for non-reversible changes. I hate the color changes. Why? It isn't better, it's just confusing. I hate the icon changes. Why? It isn't better, it's just confusing. In my car while driving I now can find nothing. I used to be able to navigate quite easily, now I scream at the bloody thing.

Worse, when the new Samsung comes out, they have to ruin your current one to get you to buy a new one, so updates become downgrades.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca