Always On Display not working

Sfussell1

Feb 8, 2019
Visit site
Hi.
I did the Pie update for S9, Sprint network. The always on display isn't working and the phone no longer "wakes up" for notifications (except Snapchat, go figure). I've looked in the app notification settings and maybe I'm missing something, but it seems like the screen should wake up.

I've restarted the phone, changed themes, done the cache partition wipe. At this point the special features I love aren't there and I'm super frustrated.

williams448

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Settings > lockscreen > clock style > choose "always on display" and change the clock.

I had the same problem after updating. For some reason it chooses the blank screen by default.

chevyman29

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Hi.
I did the Pie update for S9, Sprint network. The always on display isn't working and the phone no longer "wakes up" for notifications (except Snapchat, go figure). I've looked in the app notification settings and maybe I'm missing something, but it seems like the screen should wake up.

I've restarted the phone, changed themes, done the cache partition wipe. At this point the special features I love aren't there and I'm super frustrated.

I think you have to choose now if want it to show all the time or just whenever you tap it

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190207-223146_Always On Display.jpg
    Screenshot_20190207-223146_Always On Display.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 90

DaveGrohl

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
I've been searching for a solution to this for three days since Pie was unknowingly forced onto my S9+ to no avail. I'd resigned myself to the AOD being altered without my consent. I couldn't find anywhere in the settings to make it behave like it used to, ie ALWAYS on rather than having to be woken up but to no avail. To my absolutely massive relief I found this topic on here and behold sanity has been restored.

My question is why tf is the AOD crucial setting buried deep within the "Looking for something else?" bit at the bottom of the Display menu?!? It's like they don't want you to actually find it.

I absolutely loathe the Pie update, it's made my phone look like it's been massacred with a paintball gun. The icons are far too big and there doesn't seem to be any way to turn the icon frames off now. Wtf were they thinking?!?

Nicky25

Feb 8, 2019
Visit site
I've just spent an hour and found the setting just by luck. Also how ugly is it to have a blue FB icon and a red You Tube icon showing. I'll probably spend another hour trying to find how to switch that ugly feature off. God I'm annoyed.

Nodnerb

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Holy crap people. Learn to use your phone before coming on here and having a hissy fit. All of the problems posted are user errors and ignorance, not Samsung’s or androids or the update. Instead of posting a thread whining, do a quick google search.

Zgwforum

Feb 16, 2019
Visit site
For me, there is a separate "always on display" page which I can only find by using the setting search for "always on". Although always on has a switch, clicking on the always on text takes you to another page and near the bottom you will see the "display mode" option which you can set to always on. Searching for display mode in settings gives zero results.

If the is one software company worse than Microsoft, it is Samsung.

Sfussell1

Feb 8, 2019
Visit site
Nodnerb, I did search. For a while, to the point of frustration. Which led me here. Where I did more searching through the forums. Please don't vilify us when frustration leads to this community and help is requested.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. I missed an obvious setting because honestly, if a setting has a toggle on/off it doesn't occur to me to also depress it for more settings. Especially when sometimes pressing it leads to nothing but the on off toggle.

Last edited by a moderator:

CincyGuy

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Holy crap people. Learn to use your phone before coming on here and having a hissy fit. All of the problems posted are user errors and ignorance, not Samsung’s or androids or the update. Instead of posting a thread whining, do a quick google search.

Uh no, this is terrible, horrible UI design and nothing else. I came to this thread to find the same answer due to having the same problem. You apparently came here to yell at people because you are mean.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. I missed an obvious setting because honestly, if a setting has a toggle on/off it doesn't occur to me to also depress it for more settings. Especially when sometimes pressing it leads to nothing but the on off toggle.

On settings where there's more options underneath the toggle, there is a line between the toggle and the label, indicating that there are more options underneath the label. This has been Samsung design language for at least the past 3 years.

Below is an example of two toggles, one had more options underneath, and the other is a simple toggle.
d58709a2c931cbd9f5a46f30a16db152.jpg

Nodnerb

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Uh no, this is terrible, horrible UI design and nothing else. I came to this thread to find the same answer due to having the same problem. You apparently came here to yell at people because you are mean.

And you found your answer before making a thread, therefore validating what I said.

CincyGuy

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
And you found your answer before making a thread, therefore validating what I said.

No, I found my answer on this thread, so your rant was not validated. I've learned that any issues/questions I have, someone else probably has already posted about it. Very helpful community here, so perhaps PhoneArena is the place for you if you just want to be nasty.

rj160202

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I've been searching for a solution to this for three days since Pie was unknowingly forced onto my S9+ to no avail. I'd resigned myself to the AOD being altered without my consent. I couldn't find anywhere in the settings to make it behave like it used to, ie ALWAYS on rather than having to be woken up but to no avail. To my absolutely massive relief I found this topic on here and behold sanity has been restored.

My question is why tf is the AOD crucial setting buried deep within the "Looking for something else?" bit at the bottom of the Display menu?!? It's like they don't want you to actually find it.

I absolutely loathe the Pie update, it's made my phone look like it's been massacred with a paintball gun. The icons are far too big and there doesn't seem to be any way to turn the icon frames off now. Wtf were they thinking?!?

:,( :,( :,(

Nodnerb

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
No, I found my answer on this thread, so your rant was not validated. I've learned that any issues/questions I have, someone else probably has already posted about it.

LOL. That's EXACTLY what I am saying. You found your answer in an existing thread, with very brief searching I'd suspect, without having to start a new rant thread hating on the phone that works fine, you just can't figure out. Although you can't seem to figure out what I am saying either so.....perhaps you'd be better off with a simple iphone.

Last edited:

ouzeltoo

Mar 14, 2019
Visit site
Here is what I did and it seems to work. From the screen shot above, click on "Show as Scheduled". Which will bring up, "Show at Set Times". I then set my display mode to be 7:00 AM-6:59 AM. Now my Always On Display, is working the way it was before my upgrade.

Nickd510

Mar 20, 2019
Visit site

Don't be so obnoxious. When a major update happens, lots if user preferences are changed. It's not that people don't know how to use a phone, its a question of why do our preferences not stay the same?! ... pretty unsmart for a smartphone!

Chris Brown35

Mar 21, 2019
Visit site

I did do a google search...it lead to here!

:) :-*

gunrunnerjohn

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Holy crap, you're a real jerk!

Not everyone is as insanely smart as you, get over it! Your contribution to the thread was a big zero.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995