Update has led to no Gmail notifications

jaymzb0nd

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
After the update, I can no longer receive Gmail notifications. I've checked the settings and everything is set up the same as before. I even tried to turn off the notifications and turn it back on but no luck. Restarted the phone a number of times but again no luck. Any ideas?

Gabriel619

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
After the update, I can no longer receive Gmail notifications. I've checked the settings and everything is set up the same as before. I even tried to turn off the notifications and turn it back on but no luck. Restarted the phone a number of times but again no luck. Any ideas?

I'm experiencing the same thing. It's a syncing issue. Gmail doesn't want to sync while running in the background, therefore there are no notifications of new mail. I have to actually go into the app and refresh it in order to get my new mail. I'm experiencing the same issue with my Yahoo email app as well.

I tried reinstalling and went as far as wiping my phone. No luck.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm experiencing the same thing. It's a syncing issue. Gmail doesn't want to sync while running in the background, therefore there are no notifications of new mail. I have to actually go into the app and refresh it in order to get my new mail. I'm experiencing the same issue with my Yahoo email app as well.

I tried reinstalling and went as far as wiping my phone. No luck.
Have you tried going into battery settings and turning off the power saving option? On my phone you choose power saving exclusions under battery settings.

daswooski

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried going into battery settings and turning off the power saving option? On my phone you choose power saving exclusions under battery settings.
Yes, this solves other issues as well. Life 360 won't show my location to others unless I am in Performa Mode. Any battery saving setting more stops several apps from running in the background

Gabriel619

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site

Yes, I checked battery settings as well. I even tried adding my Yahoo account to the Gmail app so I can get timed syncing, but still no luck.

Any other suggestions would be most welcome.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I checked battery settings as well. I even tried adding my Yahoo account to the Gmail app so I can get timed syncing, but still no luck.

Any other suggestions would be most welcome.
Have you tried wiping data in gmail and google then signing back in?

jayven

May 5, 2011
Visit site
I found a solution! When my S9+ on T-Mobile was upgraded to Pie, Gmail notifications worked perfectly. Then two or three days ago, my Gmail app was updated with the new Gmail look [yuck], and suddenly Gmail notifications stopped working. Here's how I just solved the problem: Open Gmail. Tap the hamburger menu and go way down the list to Settings. Rather than choosing "General settings", choose your Gmail address's settings. In the Notifications section, tap "Inbox notifications". On my phone, "Label notifications" was deselected, and "Notify for every message" was grayed out. I selected "Label notifications", and now the notifications are working once again.

Jayymes

Mar 24, 2019
Visit site
@jayven Finally a fix! My notifications hadn't been working for gmail (Galaxy S9 on T-mobile) and every setting change/reset/reinstall I tried didn't work until I unchecked "Label notifications" and then checked it again.

CocoBunnyxx

Mar 30, 2019
Visit site

OMG THIS WORKED (Galaxy s10+) Thank you!!
1. In settings search "Optimize battery usage"
2. At the top, change the view to All apps
3. UNCHECK Gmail (when blue goes away)

And your notifications will come in! I sent myself an email and got the notification.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

And your notifications will come in! I sent myself an email and got the notification.
I'm so happy it worked for you! So many people have helped me here and I seldom get the chance to help someone else.

dolfan1284

Apr 24, 2019
Visit site
Here's what solved it for me. For my S10E, I had to go into Settings->Account and backup->Accounts->"My email" (which says Google below it and has the familiar red, yellow, green, blue Google logo)->Sync Account and in there I had to click every single service to be on for the notifications to come through. Oddly, the same goes for my Yahoo Mail, once, the Mail and the Contacts were working, all of it seemed to come through!

Nicola Mangani

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
R update has led to no Gmail notifications

It worked !! In my case the inbox sync was ticked but the all mail sync box wasn't. Set it to sync all mail et voila! THANK YOU

I found a solution! When my S9+ on T-Mobile was upgraded to Pie, Gmail notifications worked perfectly. Then two or three days ago, my Gmail app was updated with the new Gmail look [yuck], and suddenly Gmail notifications stopped working. Here's how I just solved the problem: Open Gmail. Tap the hamburger menu and go way down the list to Settings. Rather than choosing "General settings", choose your Gmail address's settings. In the Notifications section, tap "Inbox notifications". On my phone, "Label notifications" was deselected, and "Notify for every message" was grayed out. I selected "Label notifications", and now the notifications are working once again.

Levi Butcher

Jul 15, 2020
Visit site

YESSSSSSSS! Just bought a Galaxy S9 Plus, and this fixed the issue right away. Thanks so much, you rock!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjammmin007