Why do I keep getting "High mobile data usage" warnings on Android Pie?

Fran_44

Mar 11, 2019
Visit site
After my Samsung Galaxy S9 updated to Android 9.0 Pie I started getting the warning "High mobile data usage - your apps have used more data than usual". Tapping on it takes me to my data usage page in settings, and when I check out the per-app mobile data usage it shows Chrome uses about 4 times as much mobile data as anything else, which is understandable as that is what I use most of my mobile data for when I'm not on wifi (I'm assuming this is why I'm getting the warning - the warning itself doesn't state which app it's concerned about). This is also about the ratio of Chrome-to-other-apps mobile data usage that is normal for me, pre-Pie. My overall mobile data usage also seems normal (not higher than usual). How can I get Pie to understand that this behaviour is "normal" for chrome and get it to stop giving me the warning message? Or if I'm wrong in assuming that it's moaning about Chrome's data usage, how do I know which app it's unhappy with?

lucianus_luciferus

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
The phone is just learning your usage pattern.
Give it a few weeks and it should stop showing that notification unless an app is suddenly using a lot of data.

forum11

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
The phone is just learning your usage pattern.
Give it a few weeks and it should stop showing that notification unless an app is suddenly using a lot of data.

Is there any documentation that explains how this learning works? How about a way to turn it off? Right now the only option I can find is to disable "Network alerts" for the Android System app, but it's not clear what sort of other important alerts might be grouped in with this. At the very least it should have its own notification type with a clear name. It's also annoying that this new feature is so easily confused with the existing Data Warning and Data Limit settings which are easily configured.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junkie XL