How to preserve battery life without using power saving mode

Mtneergirl

Jul 31, 2018
Visit site
So I have an s9 and I'm not enjoying PIE at all. I'm new to android and I'm hoping I just don't have something set correctly. Since updating to PIE I'm charging my phone of 8 months 3 times a day. I've had to resort to running constantly in power saving mode which is causing problems. No longer have a 3rd party text tone option, only the stupid preloaded ones (that's enough to send me back to iphone). I'm also not getting notifications most of the time. Not for texts, reminders or other message apps. This is unacceptable as I rely on those alarms and reminders. Is there possibly a setting I can change or anything to help this???

Thanks in advance

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Since updating to PIE I'm charging my phone of 8 months 3 times a day. I've had to resort to running constantly in power saving mode which is causing problems.
How low do you allow the battery to discharge before charging it? Draining it too far constantly can totally kill it in 3 months. You should never let it get below 40% - either charge it or turn it off at that point.

No longer have a 3rd party text tone option, only the stupid preloaded ones (that's enough to send me back to iphone).
We have a whole thread on that - there's one text tone for all texts now.

I'm also not getting notifications most of the time. Not for texts, reminders or other message apps.
Not in battery saving mode.

Mtneergirl

Jul 31, 2018
Visit site
How low do you allow the battery to discharge before charging it? Draining it too far constantly can totally kill it in 3 months. You should never let it get below 40% - either charge it or turn it off at that point.

I generally charge it when it hits 30% and try not to charge past 85%. But this has just started when I updated last week. Before that I wasn't having any trouble with it.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site

I generally charge it when it hits 30% and try not to charge past 85%. But this has just started when I updated last week. Before that I wasn't having any trouble with it.
Battery is going to be a bit wack for a couple of weeks after the update because of the adaptive battery function. The phone will now use AI to record your usage and then adjust accordingly to save battery. The phone is still learning your usage so it's bad right now. The more you use it, it will get better.

As for the individual text tones, Google made some changes to Android itself that Samsung had to abide with. Text tones can still be set per message thread, instead of per contact. You can go to Messages>Open a message thread>hit the 3 dots on upper right>custom notifications>sound to set a custom text tone for that person.

monkmullen

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
So I have an s9 and I'm not enjoying PIE at all. I'm new to android and I'm hoping I just don't have something set correctly. Since updating to PIE I'm charging my phone of 8 months 3 times a day. I've had to resort to running constantly in power saving mode which is causing problems. No longer have a 3rd party text tone option, only the stupid preloaded ones (that's enough to send me back to iphone). I'm also not getting notifications most of the time. Not for texts, reminders or other message apps. This is unacceptable as I rely on those alarms and reminders. Is there possibly a setting I can change or anything to help this???

Thanks in advance

I hate Pie too!

Since the update my battery is trash. I barely make it from 5am to 3pm before needing a charge.

I get a notification daily about apps using too much memory.

The phone locks up.

And the worst part is Pocket Casts, my go to podcast app and the first app I install on any new phone, is unusable. Drops audio, doesn't download, crashes.

This phone was absolutely rock solid before the update, and now it's unreliable at best.

This kind of nonsense is what drove me away from Android the first time, and I'm considering jumping ship again.

krisqz

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I have totally different experience with Pie. My battery in idle is now great. You have to tell us more about your usage. Do you use wifi calling? Do you have low energy scan for nearby devices enabled?

Mtneergirl

Jul 31, 2018
Visit site
I have totally different experience with Pie. My battery in idle is now great. You have to tell us more about your usage. Do you use wifi calling? Do you have low energy scan for nearby devices enabled?

I do not use wifi calling. I don't know what low energy scan is lol. I don't talk on it much regularly. Email push is every few hours and don't have a lot of app notifications. Went to a movie Friday and it drained from 56% to 32% during the movie.

Mojave

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
I do not use wifi calling. I don't know what low energy scan is lol. I don't talk on it much regularly. Email push is every few hours and don't have a lot of app notifications. Went to a movie Friday and it drained from 56% to 32% during the movie.

If you use your home Wi-Fi turn it off once you leave your house. If you don't your phone will continually be searching for Wi-Fi. I only use my home Wi-Fi and turn it off once I leave my house. I don't use public Wi-Fi because it's not secure. My girlfriend and I went to a movie and she left her Wi-Fi on (her home Wi-Fi) and she was wondering why her phone was down to 20%.

You might also want to use a dark theme. All that bright white on your phone will drain your battery. Facebook is a big battery drainer.

For your notification go into your settings>>>apps>>> and choose the app you want notifications from. Another page will open and scroll down until you see "notifications" and see if you have allowed them. You can tap on that "notifications" and that will open another page where you can then set up what notifications you want to see...where you want to see them....and what notification sound you want.

Yes...I know it can be confusing. I came from a Galaxy S5 with OS6 on it....then to the S9+ a few months ago with Oreo. Finally figured out Oreo's settings and then I got Pie. Took me a while to find all my settings within Pie. This forum and the people are great in helping anyone out with issues. Allot is also trial and error with just playing around with your phone to find the settings you are looking for. I also made some notes so when I found what I was looking for.....I was able to find my way back to that setting.

monkmullen

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site

What specifically do you need to know about my usage?

I use the camera fairly frequently throughout the day for work, and also use Google Keep for note taking. I listen to podcasts during my commute, approx 60 min/day. I browse the internet with Chrome, and check Twitter and Email regularly throughout the day. I may watch YouTube or use Spotify from time to time, but only at home over my wifi connection.

I'd say I'm as much a typical user as anyone -- nothing out of the ordinary.

Today I'm working from home, barely on my phone, and I've dropped to 63% since 7am (~6hrs ago). And I've received a flurry of notifications telling me to check my apps for background use, and when I tap that notification it takes me to this list of apps that are waking up frequently, some of which I literally have not opened in months.

When I check out Battery under Device Care, the biggest user for today is Google Play services, active for 5hr 51min, 10.6%. Next highest user is Podcast Player, active for 13 minutes, 8.4%.

Again, super solid phone prior to the Pie/One update, but it's been just terrible since. I have not done a full factory reset yet, but I guess that's probably my next move.

pontiac005

Trusted Member
Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
I've had the opposite experience too. From 4:30 to 1:30 when I go home from work, still at 76% with good usage. WiFi and Bluetooth always on.

Abbers727

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
I try to use Facebook Lite & Messenger lite but I always go back to Facebook and Messenger even though they drain the battery more. :/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC