Notifications vibrate only when ear buds are plugged in... Grrrrr!

paul4x4

Apr 6, 2019
Visit site
I have a Galaxy S9 with T-Mobile. It has the OS in the screenshot below.

For some reason, and I believe it happened after a software update, but now when I use my wired ear buds, the notifications are set to vibrate only. When someone calls the phone, it rings, but not when I receive an SMS, Whatsapp, email, etc... It works fine when the ear buds aren't plugged in, but once they are, it all goes to vibrate besides a phone call.

I don't want that at all and I have looked everywhere in the settings to see if there is an option to turn that off, but I can't find anything.

Was this a new system setting in an Android update? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

InkedScreenshot_20190405-211205_Settings_LI2222.jpg

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I have a Galaxy S9 with T-Mobile. It has the OS in the screenshot below.

For some reason, and I believe it happened after a software update, but now when I use my wired ear buds, the notifications are set to vibrate only. When someone calls the phone, it rings, but not when I receive an SMS, Whatsapp, email, etc... It works fine when the ear buds aren't plugged in, but once they are, it all goes to vibrate besides a phone call.

I don't want that at all and I have looked everywhere in the settings to see if there is an option to turn that off, but I can't find anything.

Was this a new system setting in an Android update? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

View attachment 301584
Have you tried different headphones ? Just to be sure it not a issue with those.

waqqas31

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
After upgrading to Pie, I experienced the same behavior, except my headphones were wireless Bluetooth headphones. Apparently, it is something to do with privacy, and most definitely, another thing we should be allowed to control the behavior of, if you ask me. I partially got around it by disabling media audio for my Bluetooth headphones but I don't know what you can do in the case of wired headphones.

paul4x4

Apr 6, 2019
Visit site
Thanks for the response Lucianus... I downloaded the app, but the only option I see is just the opposite of what I need. See the screenshot below. Am I missing something?

tempFileForShare_20190408-233300.jpg

lucianus_luciferus

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Hmm ok. Try this.
After you plug the earbuds in, go to settings, sounds and vibration, volume and check the notification volume is not muted.
If it still doesn't work try in safe mode just to make sure it isn't an app messing with the sound settings.

paul4x4

Apr 6, 2019
Visit site
I just checked and they're all up. Nothing muted. See below:

Screenshot_20190409-184411_Settings.jpg

Really frustrating that it's so hard to figure out. I even formatted my phone to start from scratch and still the same issue.

I think I'm going to go to T-Mobile tomorrow and plug another ear jack into it to see if the problem still persists.

I'll try the new S10 to see if that also has the same issue. It literally could be a software issue.