Edge lighting.

ckfilmstar

Mar 3, 2016
Visit site
I had set up my s9 for edge lighting for fb and other apps, but I don't c it working. Any ideas what I need to do?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Edge lighting only works if the app notification is set to Pop Up, and will only work while the screen is awake (unless the app notification is set to wake the screen and Edge Lighting is set to show on all instances...very few apps support waking the screen for notifications, however).

ckfilmstar

Mar 3, 2016
Visit site
Edge lighting only works if the app notification is set to Pop Up, and will only work while the screen is awake (unless the app notification is set to wake the screen and Edge Lighting is set to show on all instances...very few apps support waking the screen for notifications, however).
Ah. Thanks

Denisew 1972

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
I had set up my s9 for edge lighting for fb and other apps, but I don't c it working. Any ideas what I need to do?

I currently have mine set with custom colors for 20 apps. They all are working perfectly. Facebook is blue, gmail is red, Twitter is yellow, texts are pink... They pop up over my always on display when my phones asleep. Recheck your settings and make sure it's set to always show... and that the battery optimization tool isn't set to shut down edge lighting. That may be the cause if your phone is putting the edge lighting to sleep...

Attachments

• 24622.jpg
    24622.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 30

ckfilmstar

Mar 3, 2016
Visit site
I currently have mine set with custom colors for 20 apps. They all are working perfectly. Facebook is blue, gmail is red, Twitter is yellow, texts are pink... They pop up over my always on display when my phones asleep. Recheck your settings and make sure it's set to always show... and that the battery optimization tool isn't set to shut down edge lighting. That may be the cause if your phone is putting the edge lighting to sleep...
Thanks. I'll check it out and report back. Is the edge lighting noticeable?

ckfilmstar

Mar 3, 2016
Visit site
These are my settings. But my edge lighting still doesn't work.

I wonder if it's defective
96ff844bbb3424cae75e8849d2798763.jpg
e1c623ea37ca678e7a8a88ac14499041.jpg

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site

How do you change colors for different apps?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
These are my settings. But my edge lighting still doesn't work.

I wonder if it's defective
96ff844bbb3424cae75e8849d2798763.jpg
e1c623ea37ca678e7a8a88ac14499041.jpg

Are the APP notifications set to Pop Up? Not the Edge ones... the actual app notification? And as stated before, Edge Lighting does NOT work unless the screen is on or the app's notification is set to wake the screen up.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
How do you change colors for different apps?

If you go to the Edge Lighting settings and tap on the Edge lighting style section and tap on the Color option. There you'll see a 'Custom color' button. Tap that and you can further customize notifications per app, including color by app or by even certain text included in the notification, regardless of the app.

ckfilmstar

Mar 3, 2016
Visit site
Are the APP notifications set to Pop Up? Not the Edge ones... the actual app notification? And as stated before, Edge Lighting does NOT work unless the screen is on or the app's notification is set to wake the screen up.
I think the app is set up to pop up. Where do I go to check if it's set to pop up?

ckfilmstar

Mar 3, 2016
Visit site
I don't know why Samsung made the edge lighting so complicated. Or it's just faulty and wasn't thought out very well.
I did some research and it seems a lot of people have t he same issues of edge lighting not working.
It's a on going problem and Samsung hasn't fixed it with a update.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Most people who can't get it to work is because of the pop-up option or because they expect this to work with the screen off (the setting itself does tell you it ONLY does that for apps that are set to wake the screen).

To check if your app notification is set to pop-up go to the app's notification setting (long press on the app you want to check, select the App Info option, go to Notifications and make sure that the Notification style is set to SOUND AND POP-UP.

Agreed, it's not the best option and a weird choice for Samsung to implement it that way...but there's a difference between 'it doesn't work' and 'we just don't set it up correctly because we're expecting it to work differently'.

ckfilmstar

Mar 3, 2016
Visit site
Most people who can't get it to work is because of the pop-up option or because they expect this to work with the screen off (the setting itself does tell you it ONLY does that for apps that are set to wake the screen).

To check if your app notification is set to pop-up go to the app's notification setting (long press on the app you want to check, select the App Info option, go to Notifications and make sure that the Notification style is set to SOUND AND POP-UP.

Agreed, it's not the best option and a weird choice for Samsung to implement it that way...but there's a difference between 'it doesn't work' and 'we just don't set it up correctly because we're expecting it to work differently'.
I checked the apps setting and they are set to sound and pop up.
261a9f874315546fdee1c9497c3a3bb3.jpg
e4264a8936f0360923e58770a6fdd45f.jpg

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
That's how mine are set. Have you checked that Facebook is active in the Edge Lighting app section and that it's not turned off?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
In the Edge Lighting Settings. There's a section where you can turn specific apps on/off to be used with Lighting. Not all are active by default, IIRC. Check that the ones you're not seeing are, indeed, turned on there.

ckfilmstar

Mar 3, 2016
Visit site
In the Edge Lighting Settings. There's a section where you can turn specific apps on/off to be used with Lighting. Not all are active by default, IIRC. Check that the ones you're not seeing are, indeed, turned on there.
Is it in edge lighting and manage notifications?
If so, yes I turned it on for certain apps. All my social media, gmail etc.
It could be this phone.
Or maybe this is a previously returned phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair