Secure Startup Device Encryption

android_freak1

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
I have Secure Startup encryption enabled on my S9 and all I need to know if that only encrypts the files on the phone only when the whole phone is totally powered OFF or will it encrypt all the system files and personal files even if the phone is powered ON but LOCKED by the Screen Lock?

If that is not the case, will I need to use a third-party app to encrypt my files or even Samsung's Secure Folder app?

I know Its even possible to just transfer all the sensitive files to an SD card and encrypt the SD card, but to be honest, I don't trust those because they may get corrupted resulting in data loss. I just want to keep all data to internal storage.

Thanks in advance!

lucianus_luciferus

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Secure start up only adds a password before the phone boots up. I think it is sort of like a bios password on a pc.
Not sure if it also encrypts the device storage.
99d849b6ce3f72534780c4e781226982.jpg

dekatch

Apr 8, 2019
Visit site
nah doesn't seem like it. you can set and remove the password in a heartbeat, there is no encryption going on.

but it disables all third party apps before entering password. e. g. i use SwiftKey as keyboard and with this secure startup enabled I'll have to use Samsung stock keyboard to enter the secure startup password

so it kinda makes it more secure on startup supposedly but i don't know to what extent.

but there is no encryption process.