Android 9 Pie 4k 60fps Video Won't Play on Windows

roweder

Jan 27, 2018
Visit site
After updating to Android 9 Pie, the 4k 60fps videos I record with my Galaxy S9+ won't play using the default windows 10 Photos or Movies & TV apps.

I would like to know if anyone else is encountering the same issue and if any fixes have been found? I was only able to find one other post describing the same exact issue but it did not have much detail and had no solution.

Additional details:

• When I try to play the videos I just get the windows Movies & TV app displaying a black screen. Sometimes the time cursor moves along and sometimes it doesn't
  • This does not occur with videos of the same settings (4k 60fps) that I recorded when my phone had Android 8 Oreo installed
  • I have HEVC codec installed in Windows, and toggling HEVC on and off doesn't make any changes
  • If the phone is somehow always using HEVC even when the setting is toggled off, this still shouldn't be responsible for the difference as my computer can play HEVC videos from Android Oreo
  • I can still play the videos using VLC
  • Both my desktop PC and my laptop exhibit the same problem (desktop - Nvidia graphics, laptop - Intel graphics)
  • I tried to download the Android 8.0 Samsung camera app APK so that I could both record video in pro mode again and record videos that can be played with the default Windows apps, but the apk won't install. I tried multiple versions, none were successful
  • This doesn't affect videos from the phone that were recorded via snapchat or whatsapp or instagram
  • I want to be able to use the default windows 10 apps because they are a really nice way to browse through my videos, and the photos app lets me see my videos and photos at the same time. I can see a video thumbnail but I have to right click, open containing folder, and then open the video with VLC player to actually play the video
  • Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 1809

I appreciate any helpful advice, thanks in advance!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greenbelte15