I'm back. Samsung S9 owner now.

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone. I used to be active on this site with questions and answers on my Samsung Note 2, 3, 4. Then I went M.I.A. for awhile. But I just logged in again and now have a Samsung S9 via Verizon. Got it on sale at Best Buy for $449. Didn't feel like paying a grand for the S10, but maybe next time.

I had not upgraded to a new phone in over a few years, and my previous phone was near death and getting very slow and laggy. So my (new to me) S9 seems super quick and responsive. Makes me smile to use it!

I'm not happy having to buy a bunch of new Micro USB-C charging cords for my S9, as I previously had many, many, MANY of the old charging cords that no longer fit the new Samsung phones.

Also, I got a Tech 21 protective case for the S9 which I like. I don't have any screen protector, should I get one? My previous tempered glass screen protector ended up having many cracks on it from dropping onto the ground.

Also got a Mophie wireless portable battery charger, which is pretty cool for taking advantage of the new QI wireless charging capability.

When I turn on Mobile Hotspot, my older Sony Vaio Windows 7 laptop seems to have a slow connection to the internet. I have Verizon. Is this normal?

I had to do not one but two complete factory hard resets when I first got the phone due to downloading some apps that had extremely intrusive adware that kept popping up and taking over the lock screen. A video for drinking Bud Light beer kept popping up out of nowhere constantly. I'm not positive, but I think it may have been some free radio apps that I installed that caused the adware problem.

Anyway, just wanted to say hi to everyone on this board.

Cheers!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Welcome back! I can't remember, did they stop shipping the microUSB-to-USB-C adapter with the 9 line or the 10? In any case, that's what got me through (and still does in my car). Cheaper than replacing all cables. Now I've just 'kept up' with all the cables and chargers that come with the phones and you don't have to turn in when upgrading, so now I have the opposite: more USB-C cables than microUSB ones haha.

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Although it's been costly to buy a bunch of the new "C" cords for home, work, car, backpack, etc., the plus side is that I'm no longer trying to jam the charging cord in the dark into the phone on the wrong side! I must have done that at least hundreds to thousands of times over the years. The other thing I need to get used to is not being able to take off the rear lid of the phone to replace the MicroSD card or swap out another battery.

medic22003

Sep 26, 2015
Visit site
I've had a Verizon s9 for a little over a year now and am quite happy with it. I get people wanting the huge phones like the notes or even the + but the s9 checks more boxes for me. fits my hand and pocket better too. you'll be happy with it

BerryBubbles

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
(Snip)

I don't have any screen protector, should I get one? My previous tempered glass screen protector ended up having many cracks on it from dropping onto the ground.

(Snip)

The screen will scratch (Gorilla Glass 5), so if that thought bothers you, get a screen protector. There are posts in the s9 accessories section with info on various screen protectors. Whitestone Dome is very popular.

Some people claim their naked screens never scratch, I don't know how they do it.

Since my s9+ ends up in my purse, I have a case with a built-in screen protector.

As @Mojave said, Welcome back!

Have Fun! :D

Mojave

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
I have a Invisible glass curved (tempered glass) on my S9+ and very happy with it. I also had one on my old S5 phone. Never had any issues with them.

I also have a leather wallet phone case (you can put credit cards in it) because like BerryBubbles my S9+ is also in my purse. For the price we pay for these phones....I'm not taking any chances. When not in my purse I use the Speck Presidio grip case.

I did look at the S9 before deciding on the S9+. I had my S5 for almost 5 years before I got the S9+ and being a senior....the S9+ works great for me.

Enjoy your new phone Casey!

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Welcome back to Android Central! An S9 is a fantastic choice - last year's iteration has an awesome processor and it will absolutely get the job done just as well as an S10.

With regards to a tempered glass screen protector, I would consider one, just to be on the safe side. Look at Amazon and Google reviews! I have switched over to tempered glass ones for the past few years and love them!

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
My previous phone was the Samsung Note 3 which I had used for quite some time, got a lot of mileage out of that. But the Samsung stock battery was literally expanding due to heat buildup. I bought a replacement Samsung battery from Amazon and the same problem occurred. The expanding battery was pushing the sides of the screen out of its casing! I kept getting messages on the phone about overheating warnings. The phone became very laggy to the point of being unusable. So I knew it was time to retire my beloved Note 3.

I originally bought a brand new Motorola (G7 model?) Android phone at Best Buy cuz it was on sale for $299. But after using the new Motorola phone for less than 1 hour, it literally died and would not start up again. I've never had a brand new phone die in an hour, it must have been a sign, haha! So I went ahead and got a Samsung S9 for $449 on sale at Best Buy as a replacement.

As for the screen protector, I've always been paranoid about having screen protectors installed. I'm still debating on this. Hmmm.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi everyone. I used to be active on this site with questions and answers on my Samsung Note 2, 3, 4. Then I went M.I.A. for awhile. But I just logged in again and now have a Samsung S9 via Verizon. Got it on sale at Best Buy for $449. Didn't feel like paying a grand for the S10, but maybe next time.

I had not upgraded to a new phone in over a few years, and my previous phone was near death and getting very slow and laggy. So my (new to me) S9 seems super quick and responsive. Makes me smile to use it!

I'm not happy having to buy a bunch of new Micro USB-C charging cords for my S9, as I previously had many, many, MANY of the old charging cords that no longer fit the new Samsung phones.

Also, I got a Tech 21 protective case for the S9 which I like. I don't have any screen protector, should I get one? My previous tempered glass screen protector ended up having many cracks on it from dropping onto the ground.

Also got a Mophie wireless portable battery charger, which is pretty cool for taking advantage of the new QI wireless charging capability.

When I turn on Mobile Hotspot, my older Sony Vaio Windows 7 laptop seems to have a slow connection to the internet. I have Verizon. Is this normal?

I had to do not one but two complete factory hard resets when I first got the phone due to downloading some apps that had extremely intrusive adware that kept popping up and taking over the lock screen. A video for drinking Bud Light beer kept popping up out of nowhere constantly. I'm not positive, but I think it may have been some free radio apps that I installed that caused the adware problem.

Anyway, just wanted to say hi to everyone on this board.

Cheers!
Welcome back!
S9 is a great phone , have the s9+

anon(8453378)

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
I can't remember, did they stop shipping the microUSB-to-USB-C adapter with the 9 line or the 10? In any case, that's what got me through (and still does in my car). Cheaper than replacing all cables.

We have a few S9 plus phones in our household and they definitely came with the adapter. I'm guessing the S9 is the same.

pauljjr

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site

Just go to eBay and buy a pack of 6 adapters.
Cheap and they work perfect.

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I went to Frys Electronics and bought an adapter (USB Micro to USB-C), plugged it into one of my old USB Micro cords in my car. Although it works to charge my S9 phone, the phone immediately gave some type of message alert saying it's slow charging. Do all brands of adapters give a slow charge? Is this normal?

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Question about wireless charging pads. Now that I have one, I'm constantly placing my phone on top of it for wireless charging and a place to set the phone. Is this a bad idea to constantly top off the battery when it's say at 80% to 90% battery life? I'm doing this dozens of times a day. Will this degrade the phone battery sooner?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2