Why do I have to download group messages individually?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Samsung Galaxy 9+ and group text messages come through as individual messages that I have to download.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Check your Multimedia Messages settings. Remember, group texts are NOT SMS, they're MMS (basically e-mails). If you have your settings so that you don't auto-download anything over MMS, then group texts will not auto-download either (the toggle is usually off for roaming, but unless you turned it off, it's usually active for 'home' networks).

Joel4JC

Dec 14, 2020
Visit site
Check your Multimedia Messages settings. Remember, group texts are NOT SMS, they're MMS (basically e-mails). If you have your settings so that you don't auto-download anything over MMS, then group texts will not auto-download either (the toggle is usually off for roaming, but unless you turned it off, it's usually active for 'home' networks).

This did not work! I have "Auto retrieve" Enabled/On and "Auto retrieve while roaming" Disabled/Off and I still have to download each text individually! I am not roaming!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Do you also have an S9? Are you using the stock messaging app, or a 3rd party one?

Go to the messaging app's settings. Can you find a setting there for group texting? If so, look for an option to select group texting vs individual texts being sent to each member of a group.

Also, which carrier do you have? Make sure your APN settings are correct for your carrier.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
This did not work! I have "Auto retrieve" Enabled/On and "Auto retrieve while roaming" Disabled/Off and I still have to download each text individually! I am not roaming!
If your using the stock message app try Google messages see if it normal there .

Joel4JC

Dec 14, 2020
Visit site
@B. Diddy, I'm using Samsung Messages App on a Note 10 +. My carrier is Verizon. I have Group conversations enabled/on and Auto retrieve enabled/on. I never had this problem when I used Google Messages. I'm forced to use Samsung Messages App if I want to receive my Text messages on my Galaxy Watch 3.

Last edited:

Joel4JC

Dec 14, 2020
Visit site
If your using the stock message app try Google messages see if it normal there .

I used Google Messages for a year and a half without any issues. Recently I got the Galaxy Watch 3 and for me to receive text messages on the Galaxy Watch 3, I have to use Samsung Messages App.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Can you clarify -- are you saying that when you receive an MMS message (i.e., a picture text or a group text), you get a message that says "Tap to Download"?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I used Google Messages for a year and a half without any issues. Recently I got the Galaxy Watch 3 and for me to receive text messages on the Galaxy Watch 3, I have to use Samsung Messages App.
So this issue on the watch or phone?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz