Galaxy s9 not alerting with a sound for Messages

Pehirsch51

Jul 14, 2019
Visit site
BA9FA7DC-26E7-4B74-861B-48EB132C59D1.jpg

The picture shows something I hadn’t noticed until this morning (names blotted out and the issues are circled in pale yellow).
This is a list of the people who have sent me messages. You will notice on the right side of some of them there’s a little grayed out bell with a line through it. This does not happen on all messages from all people.

Does this have to do with the issue I’m having I’ve not been alerted when many messages come through?

I’ve had the problem of not hearing alerts from messages that come through, and therefore I’m not alerted that I’ve gotten one from not all but many people, for a few weeks now and cannot figure it out.

1. I’ve gone into the Messages Settings menu and turned on all notifications. The only one I don’t have a choice to turn on is emergency alerts. That button is grayed out.

2. I’ve also opened up the main settings menu and turned on the sound, the ringtone, notification sounds, made sure the volume is up on the notifications and none of these have worked.

3. In my Messages app Notification settings, at the bottom, there’s a More settings option with In app-notification settings for Previewing message, that is on.
In that same screen, down at the bottom under more settings it says 6 categories deleted. I don’t remember doing this and...in my cyber world, I might have.

Did I inadvertently do something so that I only get sounds from SOME messages and not others?
Does anyone have any idea?

I’ve been through YouTubes, I’ve been through help forums and I’ve finally found this website so I’m hoping for the best, given it seems specific to this phone!

Thanks so much!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
View attachment 305413

The picture shows something I hadn’t noticed until this morning (names blotted out and the issues are circled in pale yellow).
This is a list of the people who have sent me messages. You will notice on the right side of some of them there’s a little grayed out bell with a line through it. This does not happen on all messages from all people.

Does this have to do with the issue I’m having I’ve not been alerted when many messages come through?

I’ve had the problem of not hearing alerts from messages that come through, and therefore I’m not alerted that I’ve gotten one from not all but many people, for a few weeks now and cannot figure it out.

1. I’ve gone into the Messages Settings menu and turned on all notifications. The only one I don’t have a choice to turn on is emergency alerts. That button is grayed out.

2. I’ve also opened up the main settings menu and turned on the sound, the ringtone, notification sounds, made sure the volume is up on the notifications and none of these have worked.

3. In my Messages app Notification settings, at the bottom, there’s a More settings option with In app-notification settings for Previewing message, that is on.
In that same screen, down at the bottom under more settings it says 6 categories deleted. I don’t remember doing this and...in my cyber world, I might have.

Did I inadvertently do something so that I only get sounds from SOME messages and not others?
Does anyone have any idea?

I’ve been through YouTubes, I’ve been through help forums and I’ve finally found this website so I’m hoping for the best, given it seems specific to this phone!

Thanks so much!
Hi, you can go into settings >apps>3 dots upper right corner tap it>go to reset app preference see if it fixes it .

Pehirsch51

Jul 14, 2019
Visit site
Hi, you can go into settings >apps>3 dots upper right corner tap it>go to reset app preference see if it fixes it .

Thank you! I did just that. Now I’ll wait to see if it fixed it. On first glance, I still have the little bells with the lines with SOME of the messages only.

Pehirsch51

Jul 14, 2019
Visit site
Oh geez. I went into the ones WITHOUT gray bells and lines and found they have the bells checked blue. I think that must mean I WILL get an alert...

Pehirsch51

Jul 14, 2019
Visit site
Mustang7757, I think that worked!

In scrolling through all my messages, I’m having to go into each, to the menu, and check the bell for everyone! too bad I can’t figure out how to do that overall!

Thanks so much for your support.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Mustang7757, I think that worked!

In scrolling through all my messages, I’m having to go into each, to the menu, and check the bell for everyone! too bad I can’t figure out how to do that overall!

Thanks so much for your support.
Ok that's great your welcome

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dedehammac