screen protectors getting water under them.

mesocyclone30

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
I have a GS9+ and bought a case with a screen protector back in april. Twice now I have had water get under it. This is my first time having a tempered screen protector. Are they not waterproof? Last time i ran more water under it and slowly worked it off and recleaned and put it back on. And didn't break it!!!! I can't do that this time since it has a crack on it and it will no doubt break for good. Anyone else getting water under theirs?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
A properly applied protector with full adhesive is waterproof between the protector and the screen. But due to the curve of the screen, most glass protectors only have adhesive on the vertical edges, so water id free to get under them at the top or bottom. (Fortunately, a little gentle heat - no more than 125°F [50°C] will dry the moisture.)

But for a fully waterproof protector you'd need something like the Whitestone Dome - not cheap, but waterproof. But ... it's not case-friendly. If the case is the kind that stretches over the phone, taking the case off might lift the protector.

(And don't consider water resistance to protect against everything. IP68 means about 3psi of water pressure. Liquid spreading across a table when the phone is lying face down is okay. Rain falling on the phone is okay, unless it's a driving rain. But wiping the phone with a wet cloth (you'll be applying at least 10psi if you're wiping very gingerly) or putting it under a faucet (about 30psi) can force water into the phone. Even bringing it into the bathroom while you bathe or shower is bad - the high humidity is still air, and the phone isn't airtight, so that humidity gets into the phone. Then, when the phone cools off, the humidity condenses - as water. And any impurities in it start eating the insides of the phone.)

mesocyclone30

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
A properly applied protector with full adhesive is waterproof between the protector and the screen. But due to the curve of the screen, most glass protectors only have adhesive on the vertical edges, so water id free to get under them at the top or bottom. (Fortunately, a little gentle heat - no more than 125°F [50°C] will dry the moisture.)

But for a fully waterproof protector you'd need something like the Whitestone Dome - not cheap, but waterproof. But ... it's not case-friendly. If the case is the kind that stretches over the phone, taking the case off might lift the protector.

(And don't consider water resistance to protect against everything. IP68 means about 3psi of water pressure. Liquid spreading across a table when the phone is lying face down is okay. Rain falling on the phone is okay, unless it's a driving rain. But wiping the phone with a wet cloth (you'll be applying at least 10psi if you're wiping very gingerly) or putting it under a faucet (about 30psi) can force water into the phone. Even bringing it into the bathroom while you bathe or shower is bad - the high humidity is still air, and the phone isn't airtight, so that humidity gets into the phone. Then, when the phone cools off, the humidity condenses - as water. And any impurities in it start eating the insides of the phone.)

Thanks. That protector I have isn't that great in the reviews either. Just a freebie with the case. The dirt and dust and hair gets under the edges on all for sides. Real annoying. This is what I have https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6582823

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith