Can Bixby be taught to “do better?”

happycat9

Aug 5, 2019
Visit site
I haven’t had my S9 all that long and I am experimenting with using Bixby, but find Google is much better. For example, I just asked Bixby “what is the area of a circle that is 1.3 inches in diameter?” It didn’t understand the question. I then tried “calculate the area of a circle that is 1.3 inches in diameter. Bixby still didn’t understand. I ask Google “what is the area of a circle that is 1.3 inches in diameter” and it immediately gave me the answer.

This seemed to me that it would be a pretty simple request for Bixby but apparently not. Hey, I could have calculated it myself in the time I spent talking to Bixby 😁

Any recommendations for using Bixby?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately this kind of query is server-side, so unless Samsung adds it to the list of things Bixby can do, not much YOU can do about it.

As for things that Bixby CAN help with, is pretty much anything having to do with your phone. Since it's better integrated with the device, it can interact with apps and settings (and actually change settings and toggle features on/off) much more tightly than what Assistant can at the moment.

But in terms of overall features and reliability, there's a reason people kept asking for the Bixby key to be either removed or allowed to be re-mapped: Assistant is just so much better.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Bixby is better at telling your phone to do something on itself, like telling it to scroll the screen one page down. But for queries like you're asking, Google is better.

Here's what things Bixby can do:
https://www.megebyte.com/list-of-bi...Ed4k2CKRdDyWkemNK9UZvyCbksv7ukoxTw_okYS_8oYig

As you would notice it is more of telling the phone to do stuff. 'Move all pictures taken in Place A to a New Album' is not really something you do with Google Assistant. I don't think Assistant is able to recognize album names yet on your phone.

happycat9

Aug 5, 2019
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like I need to treat Bixby more as a voice control for the phone and less as a replacement for Google Assistant.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463