Need much louder notification(s) on receiving texts

classact

May 2, 2018
Visit site
I have an S9 running Pie.

How do I make the notification sound(s) much more distinct when I receive a text message, whether the phone is idle or I'm on a call?

(I'm often using a Bluetooth headset when on a call.)

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Also, and unfortunately, if you're over BT and playing media, notifications for some reason are greaaaatly muted, with the notification only showing more as a dip in volume over the playing media rather than the actual notification sound. Not sure if setting text alerts as High Priority would 'fix' that, but I don't think it'll do much.

classact

May 2, 2018
Visit site
I already had notifications volume set pretty high, so that's not it:

Screenshot_20191208-175727_One UI Home.jpg

It's even very low when the phone is sitting idle. This is confusing to me since my prior experience with phones all these years has been strictly BlackBerry flagship PKB devices and they always gave me a nice audible ding when a text message came in. It seems odd I'd have to jump through hoops to hear a text notification from five or ten feet away from the phone.

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I already had notifications volume set pretty high, so that's not it:

View attachment 313981

It's even very low when the phone is sitting idle. This is confusing to me since my prior experience with phones all these years has been strictly BlackBerry flagship PKB devices and they always gave me a nice audible ding when a text message came in. It seems odd I'd have to jump through hoops to hear a text notification from five or ten feet away from the phone.
Maybe compare to a friend's Samsung, so you have a good baseline. Perhaps the Blackberry was just louder.

classact

May 2, 2018
Visit site
Maybe compare to a friend's Samsung, so you have a good baseline. Perhaps the Blackberry was just louder.

Maybe, but this is pretty extreme. Five feet away and barely even hear that a text message arrived?

Can anyone here perhaps share with me whether this is the case with their S9 on default setting with Notifications volume at about 75% like mine?

classact

May 2, 2018
Visit site
Well, that was weird. When the phone was idle and I hit a volume button and swiped down from the Ringtone volume slider to show the other volume controls, I saw what's in the screenshot I posted above.

Yet when I went into Settings > Sounds and vibration > Volume, I saw this:

Screenshot_20191208-201425_Settings.jpg

I adjusted it there, and now it's plenty loud enough.

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Well, that was weird. When the phone was idle and I hit a volume button and swiped down from the Ringtone volume slider to show the other volume controls, I saw what's in the screenshot I posted above.

Yet when I went into Settings > Sounds and vibration > Volume, I saw this:

View attachment 313986

I adjusted it there, and now it's plenty loud enough.
Good digging. Glad you sorted it!