Why do I not get voicemail notifications? (Galaxy S9 running Android 9 on Rogers (Canada))

John Zanin

Dec 9, 2019
Visit site
For quite some time, I haven't been getting a notification on my S9 after someone has left me a voicemail. I will see that I have missed a call - and that is usually my cue to check my voicemail to see if a message has been left. As far as VM functionality, it is working. People are able to hear my greeting, and leave me a VM.

I have checked numerous threads, all to no avail.

- I have tried to see if my phone number was in the "blocked numbers" list. It was not.
- I have checked my personal VM seetings (option 4 after entering my VM password) to ensure it is set to "All Notifications" (which it is)
- I have checked the settings on "Phone" app to ensure "All Notifications" is selected

I am pretty good at figuring things out if it is a setting issue, but on this, I am stumped. I put a post on the Samsung.ca website, but haven't had any replies from there. Honestly the forum on that site doesn't seem to be very useful. I am hoping someone on this site will be able to guide me through this annoying situation.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Open the Phone, tap Menu>Settings>Call Settings>Voicemail, and make sure the voicemail number there is correct.

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I shifted to using the Google Voice app for visual voicemail, after Verizon decided to charge extra for that service.
It's a great app. Your settings and history cross over to your next phone with your Google account. No worries whether or not your phone has a native voicemail app.
You can get notifications on your phone and / or in your email.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
When you look in the notification settings for the Phone app in the system settings, do you actually see a breakdown of all of the different kinds of notifications? Is there one specifically for "Voicemails," or do you only see "All Notifications"?

John Zanin

Dec 9, 2019
Visit site
B. Diddy - here are the screen shots when I go to Settings/Apps/Phone

As you can see, the slider for "voicemail" is greyed out. No matter what I do, I can't change anything under that heading.

Screenshot_20191210-171701_Settings.jpgScreenshot_20191210-171711_Settings.jpg

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Is there a separate voicemail app, or possibly a Visual Voicemail app? Some carriers force their own voicemail app onto the phone.

John Zanin

Dec 9, 2019
Visit site
Is there a separate voicemail app, or possibly a Visual Voicemail app? Some carriers force their own voicemail app onto the phone.

B. Diddy - based on your comment, I called Rogers tech support. I spoke with a very knowledgeable tech, who told me exactly what I needed to do. Turns out this is controlled at the network level. I had to call in to my VM, and after going to my personal settings (by pressing 4 - which I had already done previously), I had to drill down one more level, and press "3" to toggle the VM indicator functionality "on" or "off"! All that time wasted, when the real fix only took 15 seconds!!!

All is good now. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction!

John

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Great!:D Although to be honest, this is the first time I've heard that you have to toggle a notification on by actually calling into your voicemail and adjusting the settings there. This will undoubtedly help someone else on the forums -- thanks for sharing the solution!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith