Where are these ads coming from?

dougdraws

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
Just bought an unlocked Galaxy S9 and signed up with Sprint. Lately though I've been getting these ads (small banners ones at the bottom of the screen and sometimes full screen ones).

Screenshot_20200215-135254_Meijer.jpg

How do I get rid of these? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

dougdraws

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200215-150616_Google Play Store.jpg
    Screenshot_20200215-150616_Google Play Store.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 18
Last edited by a moderator:

dougdraws

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
Well that sucks. I use the Meijer app all the time for like sales and mperks and stuff.

Is there a way to still use the Meijer app and disable the ads?

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Well that sucks. I use the mire app all the time for like sales and mperks and stuff
That's one of the ways the "free" apps manage to get their money back. I'd recommend you to get in touch with them to show your displeasure and leave a bad review in the Play Store commenting about the intrusive ads.

dougdraws

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
Here's the instructions

https://android.gadgethacks.com/how-to/boot-your-galaxy-s9-s9-into-safe-mode-0183343/

At bottom of the screen it has to say safe mode and to exit just restart. If no more ads then it's a app.

Thanks for the link. I've booted into safe mode so we'll see what happens

That's one of the ways the "free" apps manage to get their money back. I'd recommend you to get in touch with them to show your displeasure and leave a bad review in the Play Store commenting about the intrusive ads.

That's really weird because the other people I live with have Galaxy phones and they use the same app and never get any of these ads.

dougdraws

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
No calculator in safe mode. That's weird.

No add while in safe mode but as soon as I turned it off the add was back. It's weird because the other people in my house can use the Meijer app and they don't get any ads.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
No add while in safe mode but as soon as I turned it off the add was back. It's weird because the other people in my house can use the Meijer app and they don't get any ads.
Its definitely strange others dont get the ads maybe a setting or something you can check in the app but at least you know what it is .

dougdraws

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
I don't think it's the Meijer app causing the ads. I just recently got this phone so it's my first android phone in a while (I was using iphones before). There was an icon set that I really liked back when I had my last android phone (Note 5), but they are not available on google play anymore. So I did some googling and I found them online. They were available as APK files and so I downloaded them and have been using them on this phone. I'm just wondering if those are the things causing these pop up ads.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Those certainly could be culprits -- you always have to be cautious when downloading and installing apks from random sites. Which site did you download from?

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I don't think it's the Meijer app causing the ads. I just recently got this phone so it's my first android phone in a while (I was using iphones before). There was an icon set that I really liked back when I had my last android phone (Note 5), but they are not available on google play anymore. So I did some googling and I found them online. They were available as APK files and so I downloaded them and have been using them on this phone. I'm just wondering if those are the things causing these pop up ads.
That Meijer app is the only non-preinstalled app included in your "Last Used" list in the Play Store and the screenshot is named after it. If you prefer you can run a few more test, including restarting your phone, waiting until the ads popup and then check that Play Store tab again. I'd say that you are going to find the same results.

Those full screen ads don't popup right after installing the app, they have some internal switch that is triggered after a certain amount of time, after the app gets updated or even after you get a system update. There's not a single rule.

If you want to be 100% sure I'd recommend you to kill that app with fire (see my guide for instructions) and then see if the ads come back or not. Or just keep the app and search for another culprit.

Tell us how it goes.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greenbelte15