Samsung S3 Screen keeps flickering

FabianaMCC

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Yetserday out of nowhere my samsung S3 screen started to flicker (it's like lines on the screen all the time moving). I've tried rebooting I even bought an anti-virus.... I have no idea what's happening it won't stop. Any help?

spagman

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Did you install a custom kernel by chance?
I had that happen to me once.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
or "show screen update"

uploadfromtaptalk1349591996082.jpg

uncheck!
basicly uncheck everythin u see in screenshot ;)

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

Essiedroid

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
I also have a flickering screen issue and worse.
1. When i call my voice mail and need to use the number keys to chose the options, the screen flickers between black and the keypad screen so that i can't make the voice mail selections. As a result i have to end the call using the home button without deleting the messages.
2. During a video skype call the screen goes black and i can't end the call so the other person has to end call for me
3. When using navigation the screen goes black fortunately the voice directions continue but even worse the screen flickers off and on like paparazzi flashes
I am sure it is a hardware issue but has anyone else had this issue.
I am BIG FAN of android. This is my third android phone so the software is not new to me. Had the G1 and htc desire z for 2 years each. The S3 is the best of the three and will try and persevere with it, but need help so i don't flush it down the toilet.

Brett Z

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I just purchased the galaxy s 3 today i have done not except connect my work email to it and the screen flickers, it has green and white lines in it at time. It is an absolute pice of crap. I tired to contact samsung and their support site is down. On top of all that text messages don't work. I am amazed that with such issues people still swear by these phones. Mine will be returned on Friday i will exchange it for a platform i know works, the iPhone 5.

Brett Z

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
this seems to be a wide spread issue with galaxy phone that have JB. I keep seeing turn of Hardware overlay in the developer options or load a different rom on it to solve your issue but its a $500 dollar phone it should work out of the box with no issues. oh well i hope other people have a better go of it than i did.

Abilash S

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
It's because you have turned on developer options. Just go to settings and disable it and it should be fine.. Enjoy your phone mate!

Debby Law

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
why is it because of turned on developer options. Just go to settings and disable it will fix the problem?? i am having the same flashing problem and lines on top... i am so scare.. just got the phone few days ago. bought it from someone so i dont even know how to ask bell to send me an other one...

Vanessa Abarca

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Where can i email you?? my phone did sometihng very funky and they tell me its an app causing this problem. I returned the phone and got a new one but its still doing the same thing!!!

Hassan K. Malik

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure its not due to enabling developer's options... I'm sure it regarding some GPU settings.... Is your phone rooted? I mean have tried tweaking your GPU?

Sent from i9300 using Android Central.....

hotgravelundies

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
I've seen all variants of screen flickers.
One can be due to some developer options being selected - show screen updates, show pointer etc.
Another can be due to hardware problems;
- if you've ever dropped your phone or other sort of physical shock it can cause a loose connection, unlucky, uncommon, but certainly possible.
- if you've ever left your phone out in the sun, this can cause heat stress to the connections to the screen itself, very very uncommon and you would see the screen is a bit hard to read after that amount of heat.
- another cause of screen flickering is what I call "caveman syndrome" where I see people tapping the screen quite hard, over time it compacts the layers of the capacitive touch membrane so "Gronk" (my universal cave dweller name) just taps harder as time goes by.
- total screen blackouts can be the backlight having a failure, if you get an extended blackout try getting a good LED torch and shining at an angle and see if you can make out what should be on the screen, if you can see something using the torch it's a safe bet your backlight is on the fritz.
Cheers,
Scott.

Amy F

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm having a strange issue where my screen only flickers off and on when I try to call voicemail. All other times the phone is awesome and the screen works fine. I know this issue is oddly specific but does anybody have any suggestions?

lisarob27

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi i has same problem with my gs3 and was mainly doing it when i went online the flickering started and all i did was turn off my power save mode and i havent had a problem with it since i hope this helps

Marlene T

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
I've had my phone for 2 weeks now and I noticed the flickering problem after the first week. it happens mostly when I use text messaging. I have the developers options turned off... I never had them on. I'm going to try the power save off option now to see if that's the cause. its not doing it right now so I'm going to do a few tests and I will report back.

Marlene T

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
Turned off Power Save and it worked. Be sure to have System/Motion turned on also. If it still flickers you can either try more settings, contact Samsung, or the place you bought your phone.