audio skipping issues

phobox

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

Had my GS3 on O2 UK for about 2 weeks now, so far Im pleased with it for the most part, except for a few problems. The first and most important is the fact that audio skipping seems to be a problem with this handset. It doesn't happen constantly or all the time, but it does happen now and again when Im playing any music... all of which is stored on my SD card. Ive used Poweramp, stock Samsung music player and Spotify, all exhibit the issue but some more frequently than others. Its most often when Im doing something else with the phone such as browsing the web but its also happened with the screen off. Has anybody else noticed this?

Secondly is a wifi issue. A few times now Ive turned my screen on and noticed that wifi isnt connecting, so I go and try to do it manually and it simply refuses to connect to any access point (either my one at home or one of the open BT wifi points around the area), the only way to solve it properly seems to be to restart the phone. This doesn't happen all the time and there doesn't seem to be any steps I can do that reproduce it every time, but it has happened a few times now. I saw a few posts around talking about turning off the wifi power saving mode using *#0011# which I tried and it made no difference.

Has anybody else experienced these issues or is my phone ed? And on that note has anybody ever had problems returning problematic devices to O2?

anon(973539)

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I occasionally get the wifi bug, it seems to be a well known problem which I hoped would be fixed with the Jellybean update. You don't need to restart phone, just turn wifi on and off.

phobox

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I think I'm going to do a factory reset over the weekend, I'm not happy with a number of things at the moment. If that doesn't sort things out, its going back. Firmware bugs are all very well but WiFi issues like this are a fault and I shouldn't need to fiddle around to get it working.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
in poweramp, you can lengthen the buffer time which helps with skips.
probably player pro too.
get deep in the settings and experiment :)

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

phobox

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
My main issue with fiddling about with all these settings is the fact you shouldnt need to do these things to get a modern smartphone to perform its basic functions properly. I swear since getting this s3 I've spent more time diagnosing battery life and performance issues than I have actually using it :( I almost want my iPhone back now, I'm so disappointed.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
then youre the type of person who should have researched android and bought an iphone im afraid.
im sick of all these "it should just work" posts.
android is a constant work in progress, i love it that way, and call me a geek but i have it working exactly to my needs and more :)

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

phobox

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
So its too much for me to expect my brand new phone to play music and perform basic functions smoothly without glitching? I don't buy that. A device with this power and advanced OS should outperform in almost every area, I'm not exactly taxing the damn thing. I should not need to gut the device in order to acheive flawless music playback and good performance throughout the phone.

And for what its worth, I have doubts this is an android problem at all.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
so whats the problem u think n we can work on it?
a lot of people are having to factory reset after gettin JB, its a pest but u can make it less painful.
i dont use any of the samsung software. i bought this purely for its hardware n im used to usin 3rd party apps.
u own the phone and youre in a help forum so instead of complaining about an item you chose to buy, accept peoples suggestions :thumbup:

Unbranded Global s3, Official JB, Paisley, Scotland, West of Europe :beer:

hell_on_heels

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
then youre the type of person who should have researched android and bought an iphone im afraid.
im sick of all these "it should just work" posts.
android is a constant work in progress, i love it that way, and call me a geek but i have it working exactly to my needs and more :)

Me too. I'm not rooted but I have my screens very customized. I have several music players that I am trying out. About 10 different camera apps, different photo editing tools. I love this phone. Best I've ever had. People that had iPhones are used to simplicity and not customization options. Most of them aren't smart enough to figure it out, which is why they buy apple. I'm contemplating rooting. I don't know what it could possibly do to make the phone better. But I really don't want to void my warranty if I brick it. I wish I could find someone to do it for me. I may ask my brother. Not sure yet. But for now, I'm happy with it.

o_O WISHING I HAD WAITED AND GOT THE NOTE 2, ANYONE WANNA TRADE? o>_<o~

phobox

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Firstly allow me to apologise for the mini rant back there, I was in a particularly bad mood that day and very tired, I'm sure we've all been there lol. Anyway I'm absolutely willing to accept suggestions and help, and I'm even looking forward to rooting in the future so I can really exploit the power of this thing. The only issue I have is the fact that rooting or flashing custom ROMs is often cited as the solution to problems that shouldn't be there in the first place on a new and flagship device. As great as rooting and ROMs are, nobody should need to do that in order to achieve a level of performance that should be there from day 1.

Since my last outburst however I have begun a process of removing various apps and seeing if it makes a difference, I'll post back once I've done more testing. As I said in my previous posts, my main issue is performance. I've been seeing lag throughout the os which seemed to get worse and became incredibly frustrating. It would cause music to skip for example if I did something as relatively simple as open the web browser.

Anyway thanks all for the replies and again my apologies for the short temper previously.

bachoo786

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I had the same issue with the stock music player and all my songs where on my sd card..after transferring all the songs to the phone memory I noticed the music player worked well without stopping in the middle of a song..I guess it's the memory card issue..abt the WiFi I haven't experienced any problems yet..

Have a good day :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
If samsungs player doesnt have a setting for buffering.
Try poweramp and go into the settings, set a long buffer time to try n buffer any jumps :)

Unbranded international s3 with Official JB. Paisley, Slotland, Western Europe :beer:

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Doesn't the Note 3 have its own forum?
You realize that this thread is over a year old?

Is it just audio that's skipping or also the video?
Is the behavior the same on Wi-Fi and Mobile data?
Bluetooth headset, headphones or built-in speaker?

Has it always done this or did it start recently (like with a firmware update or app update)?

This is the type of information that you might want to consider providing the next time you post a problem so that we're not left guessing what's going on.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

Gigantorus

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
Have had this problem for the past month or so. Ended up contacting Samsung and got told the following. I actually tried the first part (removing the SIM card and battery), which has appeared to have fixed the problem, as I haven't had one instance of the music skipping.

Please try removing both your SIM card and battery from your handset for 10 seconds, reinserting them and restarting the handset. This will refresh the memory and Operating System of your handset without losing any data.

If that is unsuccessful in resolving the issue please try resetting your handset back to factory default using our Hard Reset procedure. A Hard Reset will wipe all data on your handset and re-install a back up operating system which is stored on your internal handset memory. You will need to back up all user generated data before performing a Hard Reset.

To back up your handset with Samsung Kies you will first need to install Samsung Kies to your computer, below is a link to the latest version of Samsung Kies.

Kies | SUPPORT | SAMSUNG

After you have downloaded Samsung Kies and installed the program please restart the computer.
On Windows Vista and Windows 7 please right-click on the icon and select [Run as Administrator]

If you already have Samsung Kies installed you will not need to download Samsung Kies again.

Once Kies has been opened on your computer you will need to plug your handset into the USB port on your computer using the cable which was provided with your handset.

Once the handset has been plugged into the computer you will need to left click on the model number under Connected Handsets on top left hand corner of Kies.

You will then need to select each Item Type you wish to backup such as Contacts, Music, Photos, Videos, Podcast. These options will appear under your connected handset.

For example: [Photos] > select the photos you wish to save > [Save Selected Photos to PC].

This feature allows you to export files from your handset to a location on your computer of your choice.

Please ensure that you backup any other important data you do no wish to lose.

To perform a Hard Reset you will need to Dial *2767*3855# into your keypad just like you would dial an ordinary phone number. The handset will restart and turn itself back on automatically. Once the handset has completely restarted the handset will be ready to use as normal.

If the handset does not respond to the Hard Reset code above please select [Settings] > [Backup and Reset]/[Privacy] > [Factory Data Reset]
-or-
[Settings] > [Accounts/General] tab > [Backup and Reset] > [Factory Data Reset]
[/I]

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463