Modified after official ota on a never hacked never rooted device

invinciblecc1

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Modified after official ota on a never hacked never rooted device
Originally Posted by gchindi
What are you trying to get to?
If you want official firmware which is not rooted, with zero flash counter and kies/ota to recognise your mobile for future software updates, do the following...
*root your phone n get cwm recovery
*install triangle away apk. to reset flash counter to zero
*flash latest official firmware from either sammobile.com or checkfus
*do a factory reset
*if csc is not matching, flash csc package (google for intratec's csc packages)

Google search for anything that you dont understand or to find the links...
Remember your firmware and csc should both match for OTA or KIES to recognise your phone for future software update..

I know I can set it right if want to I just want to know one thing
Is mg handset modified or not is my warranty valid or not and if it is modified is it also rooted
If I have already lost the warranty I would like to root it now so how to root simple
What does this message in download mode mean I did the otaupdate on a never rooted flashed stock ics so why the bbye he'll is it saying ny phone is modified

noob with Android sent from s3

---------- Post added at 11:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 PM ----------

Just tell me am I on custom firmware or not what is it flash counter do I have warranty

-
If u still don't understand what I am trying to ask here is the full story

Brother I am on stock jellybean I have never rooted never flashed my device it says this after the official jellybean 310 mb update and I have already has a fight with Samsung over this 5 months back approx whenever I got the phone it so happens that this piece is a replaced one the previous one I had had problems with it so I got it replaces and as soon I got it replaced and opened it (it came sealed like a new one) sir I let the Samsung care guy update the firmware via Odin and I never saw what the status was when it came so I had a fight with Samsung I said they gave me a modded phone out of the box and they're fuse to accept saying that the piece was new and whatever happened just have been done by me.....
They refused me another replacement and since then the status of my device fluctuates between modified and normal once every few boots...
But it never gave me this dialog saying that my device is modified and I will not be able to update
In download mode
It said custom binary downloads no
Current binary Samsung official

The above is one half of my story the other half is when I open the download mode It says
Android system recovert
Volume up/down to move highlight
Power button to select
Reboot system now
Apply update from adb
Apply uoate from external storage
Wipedata/factory reset
Wipe cache partition
Apply update from cache

#manuak mode #
Apply multi csc
Applied csc code INU
Successfully applied multi csc

And when I try to check software upte via settings it shows this

So what he he'll is wrong with ny device i only ran the official update.......
Will I get warranty I have never hacked nor modded
And this screen which I am getting in download mode is bit the normal one

noob with Android sent from s

paulserr

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I believe i know the answer. I also had a NEW phone which worked fine for a couple of months. the "STATUS" was always normal. But after a recent and normal OTA process, the STATUS became MODIFIED and i could no longer initiate OTA. Luckily i have 2 samsung S3's and one samsung NOTE II for testing.
I was using a 64gb SANDISK ULTRA micro SD card (i had about 5 gig of data on that card). if i removed that 64gb card and then restarted the phone, the status was NORMAL and all was well. Reinserted the card and the MODIFIED problem came back. so i FORMATTED the 64mb card. then i restarted and the status was NORMAL. Then i added data to the card and restarted the phone. WHOOPS, again the status changed to MODIFIED.
NEXT TEST. i switched to a 32gb card from samsung. (its the only 32gb card i had). I formatted the 32gb card. STATUS was NORMAL. i then added data to the card and restarted the phone. The status was NORMAL.
Long story short, it appears that the primary issue is the micro SD card. In my opinion it is specific to the 64gb cards. I know that there were issues with 4.0 android operating sytems and 64gb cards and 4.1 solved that issue. but perhaps there is some leftover issues that have not been resolved.
Bottom line, change your SD card to 32mb and status should be normal. In the very worst case (in the event my solution does not work for you) you an remove the back cover of the phone and then remove the SD card. then restart the phone without the SD card. the status will return to NORMAL. then slip the SD card back in without restarting the phone. Your SD card will mount and function normally AND your status will still be NORMAL allowing you to do a normal OTA if you wish to do so.

Phoveo

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I believe i know the answer. I also had a NEW phone which worked fine for a couple of months. the "STATUS" was always normal. But after a recent and normal OTA process, the STATUS became MODIFIED and i could no longer initiate OTA. Luckily i have 2 samsung S3's and one samsung NOTE II for testing.
I was using a 64gb SANDISK ULTRA micro SD card (i had about 5 gig of data on that card). if i removed that 64gb card and then restarted the phone, the status was NORMAL and all was well. Reinserted the card and the MODIFIED problem came back. so i FORMATTED the 64mb card. then i restarted and the status was NORMAL. Then i added data to the card and restarted the phone. WHOOPS, again the status changed to MODIFIED.
NEXT TEST. i switched to a 32gb card from samsung. (its the only 32gb card i had). I formatted the 32gb card. STATUS was NORMAL. i then added data to the card and restarted the phone. The status was NORMAL.
Long story short, it appears that the primary issue is the micro SD card. In my opinion it is specific to the 64gb cards. I know that there were issues with 4.0 android operating sytems and 64gb cards and 4.1 solved that issue. but perhaps there is some leftover issues that have not been resolved.
Bottom line, change your SD card to 32mb and status should be normal. In the very worst case (in the event my solution does not work for you) you an remove the back cover of the phone and then remove the SD card. then restart the phone without the SD card. the status will return to NORMAL. then slip the SD card back in without restarting the phone. Your SD card will mount and function normally AND your status will still be NORMAL allowing you to do a normal OTA if you wish to do so.

You have no idea the heart attack this saved me! Thank you so much! I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 from Rogers... never rooted, only Play Store apps... purely legit. I was checking if there were any software updates and I got the message saying my device was modified! I was like WTF?!

After finding this thread I can confirm that I have a SanDisk Ultra 64GB microSD card installed in this device and when I removed it and restarted the phone my device status did, in fact, return to normal. The issue appears to be caused by the card as you've noted. Good trouble shooting on your part. Thanks again!

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately I seem top have this problem also but I only have a 8GB card and I unmounted it and no luck with the status. Any help if possible. Thanks:)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums